Marlin Model 20 Good?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by celticpride2133, Sep 13, 2012.

1. celticpride2133

celticpride2133 New Member

So I found a Model 20 marlin at a pawn shop. He wanted 150 and was pretty firm with this number. What would be a good price for this gun with 1 magazine? Also This gun was made from 60 to 66? Is that correct cause this gun looked pretty dang good for being 50+ years old.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Celtic- can you please describe the rifle? To me a Marlin Model 20 is a slide action (pump) rifle made in the early 1900s. :confused:

EDIT:

Sorry, there was also a bolt action Model 20, much later. At $150 for a used rifle, that may be a touch high. One of our members here dreams about Marlins- he should be along directly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

3. celticpride2133

It is a bolt action 22lr 7 round mag, I saw a 25 a few weeks back and this looks very similar. I'm just shocked, I feel like something that is 60 years old would be .... disintegrated by now!

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

News flash guns last a looong time. $150 is a little rich for that 22.

5. tCan

tCan Active Member

Hardly. Since he's firm on the price (and I don't think it's unreasonable if its in quite good shape) work out a 30 day warranty period. I wouldn't buy it if he wont give that. That way any possible trouble with it will be covered.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As far as age of the gun, this weekend I was shooting a S&W .32 Hand Ejector from 1906, and a Hopkins & Allen 12 g from 1913. Offer cash, $125, see if he budges. Warranty good idea.

7. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

the model 20 was actually a Glenfield Model 20 circa 1960 - 1966. the price of one of these rifles is in the range of $75 - $125. dependin on what kind of profit the pawn store wants to make on it (and how much they bought it for), will determine what they want for the rifle.

i would offer $100 for it without shootin it first. if they won't budge, offer $125 with a 30 day warranty. if he can't guarantee that it shoots, or will hold a pattern, then what good is it? givin him $50 less for what he wants without shootin it is a fair deal...........you might have to spend $50 to have it fixed if it doesn't shoot.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. celticpride2133

So is their anything I should look at on the gun that would tell me if it is "worn out" and would shoot. Also what would wear out on a bolt action gun? thanks again

9. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Check the inside of the barrel and chamber, for rust and pitting if you havent already.

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

Also examine the crown of the barrel. If there are any marks or scratches, walk away. If it rattles, walk away. For that price, the thing should be tip top.

12. rimfirelover

rimfirelover New Member

I have one of these it's a great rifle for its age. I would say if you get it do some trigger work the trigger pull is horrible. I'll be using my .22 next month for small game next month need to zero it the rest of the way, smooth the trigger, and find some good hp ammo

13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The model 20 is family with the 25, 80, and 780...parts switch back & forth...& so do the box-mags.

Guts are also interchangable with the 81 & 781, minus the mag tube & related parts...

Price
    The new reality is that guns that were selling for $75 a few months ago are doubling simply due to demand...
    and the fear that Obutthead will get re-elected...and get both houses of Congress fulla Dems...which means gun bans...simple as that.
    Add to that the Fed is Overprinting US Dollars, which means the dollar gets De-Valued (worth less)...
    the Economy is in the Dumper....(dollar worth even less)...they're talking about giving MORE

So basically, the Dems are screwing us on BOTH sides of the bed...and not even being nice enough to give a reach-around...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012