Marlin Mod 60 vs. Ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by BigByrd47119, Aug 21, 2009.

1. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Alright gents! Iv wanted either a Marlin Mod 60 or a Ruger 10/22 for some time now. What I want is to know what everyone else thinks about these two guns. I know there has to be some strong opinions one way or the other on these two great firearms and I wanna hear them! Currently Im leaning Marlin simply becuase it seems to be easier to dissasemble and clean. Im not going to use it for anything more then plinking. Any and all input is appreciated!

2. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

you will never regret the 10/22. It's just reliable, well-made, and has endless possibilities. not to mention beautiful. I own one that I've customized and im still itching to get one with a wood stock and a SS reciever/barrel and leave it that way.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Well, there's the price consideration, capacity, modifications,but they're both reliable.

Other than that it's just personal preference. I have a remington 597 and would like a marlin .17.

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Well the Marlin Mod.60 is the most produced .22 in history and is accurate and reliable. The Ruger is a close 2nd with much more potential for adding things like stocks and match barrels. The Ruger looks nicer IMO, but the Marlin is more nostalgic, more accurate out of the box, and a bit cheaper. So, it's really a case of personal preferrence.

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

How much of a benefit is the bolt stop? This will be my first Semi-auto.

6. user4

user4 New Member

The model 60 is a fair gun. It was over produced in my opinion. I'd gladly trade you a model 60 for a Ruger 10/22

7. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Another vote for the 10/22 here. There isn't a single part on that rifle you cant replace easily after a quick internet search.

[iphone commercial]So if it breaks, or you want it to perform better.... there's a part for that.[/iphone commercial]

Also, it is the easier rifle to tinker on as far as DIY upgrades.

8. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I love my ruger 10/22. I asked for a marlin model 60 for Christmas and got a Ruger 10/22. I like the amount accessories for it. Its a better defensive weapon, if a 22 rifle was your choice. You can get larger magazines, as long as you dont live in a liberal state. Marlin Model 60 is tube fed, so you cant really do that. ;)

Just my 2 cents. Dont spend it all in one place. Buy something nice. Pay it forward.

S.S.

9. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i've owned both,they both performed well and i liked the way they both handled nice but in they end i choose the ruger,simply for the magazine fed ruger compared to the tube fed marlin, i like the covinence of having spare magazines at the ready for quick and easy reloading.

10. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

If you plan to modify anything then the 10/22 is the way to go. The newer ones have plastic trigger housings which, in my eyes, is super cheesy.

I have 4 or 5 10/22's alll in various stages of modification, and one SS/ laminate model 60. The Marlin feels more substantial, for lack of a better term I guess, more like a rifle I suppose. When I was 16 and just wanted to pliw through ammo quick the 10/22 got the nod. Now I more often than not reach for the Marlin.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either if you can get past the plastic parts on the Ruger.

11. Shotgun Shooter

I personally havent had trouble with the plastic parts. Not sure about anyone else, but its pretty durable and light. I've used this little gun to go hunting in 15 degree weather and its been knocked around. Still kicking!

S.S.

12. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I wasn't bagging on the durability of the parts so please don't think I was being an azz. I just think it sucks tha Ruger would pick their most popular firearm, which they probably don't even have to market very heavily and still sell thousands, then cheapen it up by using plastic. I realize function before fashion but they did it only to save a buck, when they are making money on them already.

13. Shotgun Shooter

I know you weren't bagging on them, because what you stated was a fact. They do use plastic. I was just reassuring the OP and any viewers who read it that although plastic, its durable and should not be looked down upon because of it. I agree, I'd prefer a better material used, but it helps the weight of the gun. ;)

S.S.

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Another consideration is reliability. Any gun with a box or rotary magazine is subject to jams periodically. My friend bought the 10/22 Magnum when it came out. That gun would not feed 2 rounds in a row no matter what ammo he used. I have seen the standard .22 LR Ruger rotary mags jam also. A tube fed gun rarely if ever jams.

15. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I was talking to a guy who comes in to my job a lot and he was telling me about his marlin. he said it's like a single shot now because rounds don't feed from the tube any more. but he also mentioned that he'd had it for AGES. I've never had any personal experience with them so I can't comment but I can restate my earlier statement. You will NEVER regret the Ruger.

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

17. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

I have had a Marlin since I was about 12 or so. I have shot it many times with no problems. I have shot it slow taking my time to aim, and have shot it as fast as I could pull the trigger. It has never jammed on me yet. It is easy to disassemble and clean also. From what I have heard on the 10/22, it is supposed to be reliable also. I can tell you that if I were to buy another 22 it would be the Marlin, but that is my personal choice. Good luck with what you decide.

18. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

About the only reason that could happen is if the spring has taken a set. Tell your friend replacement springs are cheap. This happens when people leave rounds stacked in the tube...

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys! I had no idea the ruger was that modifyable (i looked into its accessories last night). However the price may be a issue for the time being, unless I decide to sit tight on the .22 and save for it.

20. fragout

fragout New Member

The 10-22 rifle is more reliable IMO, because it uses a flush fit rotary magazine. It is better protected from getting banged up vs a tube loader, or a magazine that protrudes from the bottom of a given rifle. Faster and easier to reload, (especially if you have a few extra 10-22 mags) and while using only one hand, and/or on the move.

With all the aftermarket doodads out there for the 10-22, a body can turn it into thier own little version of what they feel a 22 rifle should offer. anything from a competion rifle to an "M14 training rifle"....(my next 10-22 project), and whatever they can imagine. The king of versatility.

If I still owned a Marlin 60, 597, AR7, etc..... I would trade it straight across for a bone stock 10-22 any day of the week, including Sunday. (Preferably one with a plastic trigger group, so that I can put it to the test myself.) If it turns out to be a lemon, a replacement can easily be located.

I keep putting my M14 training rifle project off because I would rather spend that money on more ammo...
    [​IMG]
    Both of these bone stock 10-22 's will eat just about any kind of 22lr offerings out there, and are plenty accurate for what their intended purpose is..in my own little arsenal.

Since your milage may vary, see if you can get your mitts on both of um, and go out and shoot some rounds down range for yourself. Which rifle feels more comfortable in your hands, and which rifle do YOU shoot better with?