Firearms Talk banner

Marlin Lever Gun Quality Is Back - I Think So

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  SingleActionSix 
#1 ·
I just picked up my new Marlin 1895 Cowboy with the 26" barrel. Vey nice and well made. It may not have the attention to detail the older Marlins have but the machining and fitting is well done, just not to the degree of the older guns. The wood fits tight but is not a nicely rounded where it meets the metal pieces. There is no gross machining marks or defects. There are some rough places on the lever, hammer and bolt that I will polish. The main issue I notice is that the tapered octagon barrel is well blued and highly polished which is great except that the receiver is blued but has a flat almost brushed appearance. It would be nice to have the metal pieces better matched.

I plan on going to the range to give it a work out so I can see what polishing helps soon. I'll follow up with a range report in a few days.

#5 ·
Ilion NY built Marlins.

I am very pleased with my Ilion built 1895G. I do think that the current rifles are pretty nice. I have four other Marlin's, all JM, including a 444P Outfitter. The Outfitter does have a nicer blue and somewhat better stock inletting but the MR 1895G is a very nice rifle and very accurate with 300gr JSP and 405gr LRN.

#8 ·
The 1895CB with the 26" barrel is the cream of the crop. - One of the best rifles for off-hand shooting ever made, and a tack driver to boot.

I put a peep sight on mine, otherwise I left it as it came out of the box.

The Hornady Lever-evolution rounds were most accurate in mine.

Congratulations!

Reactions: Dallas53
#11 · (Edited)
I got the 1895 guide gun 45-70 I love it such a tight well made piece. Packs a punch. I feel when I shoot hornady 325 grain I get more of a kick then when I shoot the Remington soft core 405 grain anyone feel the same ?
I don't have any experience with the 325 gr Hornady's but I have a .375 Winchester Model 94 XTR Big Bore that seems to me to have more recoil shooting 220gr JSPs than my 444P shooting 300gr XTPs and my 1895G shooting 405gr JSPs.

My .375 XTR pictured with my 1895G between scopes.

#17 ·
Duke,

Is that an Ithaca Rifle?

#21 · (Edited)
It is a old lil gun but a great gun to learn on because it's only one shoot boom then totally safe. Perfect for a young beginner shooter and i have gotten it from my grandpa. It was my 1st firearm back then and I'll b passing it through the generations
Thanks for the follow up. I see how it works now. Very interesting and a nice looking rifle.

#22 ·
A nice lever gun is at the top of my 2017 list. Nothing is ruled out at this point. I already have a Henry .22lr so a bigger caliber for sure.

Deadeye, my dad used to have an Ithica just like that and it was a very accurate little rifle. Used to shoot snakes with it when we went fishing.

#24 ·
Of my Marlins from recent years the favorite is a Cowboy 1894 that they produced for only a couple of years in .38 special with a case colored receiver and the old arrow "Marlin Safety logo on top of the receiver. Second is a 94 limited run in 32-20, what a fun cartridge. Gllad to hear Marlin is back to making rifles again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.