Marlin Lever Action 1895 GBL

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jagermeister, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I was at my LGS looking for a stalking/drive hunt rifle. I was really interest in this .45/70. Does anybody have any experience with the rifle or Marlin in general. Frankonia said they have to order from the States and it will take 6 weeks to 3 months. I am not to familiar with this company living most my life overseas. I am looking to put a red dot on it, since stalking in the woods and drive hunts are close range. I want a quick action rifle with quick target acquisition. Thanks for any help. I am quite limited with choices for .45/70 over here. You can see the rifle on the below website from my LGS.

http://www.frankonia.de/0/282541/pr...69577&ts=homepage&lsn=RECOMM_ENG_LSI_HOMEPAGE

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Jagermeister - I don't have the 1895GBL, I have the 1895XLR with a 24" barrel & the 336 in .30-30 Win. The 1895GBL is a carbine length lever action more like the 336, except a little heavier.

I think you'll really enjoy the carbine size and I know you'll be impressed with the power of the .45-70 Gov. round.

4. Slick57

Slick57 New Member

Long-time Marlin 45-70 owner here. I enjoy my rifle (Cowboy model) and have no complaints. The main thing I like about the 45-70 is the wide array of loads available: low power
    lead/plain vanilla, to sporting semi-jacketed, to exotic. I have a 'peep & post' combination site and the rifle is capable of much more than my modest abilities deliver. The action is straight-forward and the platform can be modified in countless ways to personalize the rifle to your tastes.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 45-70 is a great round. it really shines with handloads.

i own a 1895gbl. great rifle. really shines with 405 grain loadings. i run a lot of hornady 350grn softpoints which like going really fast. i avoid actual hornady ammo as the cses are too short and lead to gas cutting in the chamber over time in the wrong spot which can lead to stuck cases or stiff ejection when using regular sized cases. the case body can expand into that ring over time making extraction harder. if your going to use the hornady shelf ammo a lot stick with it. i have found their ammo less than accurate out of my gbl. i love their bullets hate their loaded ammo in 45-70

things about the marlin.. the stock sights simply are beyound terrible but thats true of any levergun ive seen. i replaced mine with the xs railed sight system. you can get the gbl stock with that system making it a bit easier on the back end. i wish this model was available when i got mine :( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895SBL.asp

other than that you will need a bear proof ejector from http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ejector-parts/ejectors/marlin-bear-proof-ejector-prod16629.aspx heavy recoil can rip the stock ejector apart as its pretty poor design for extended use. i use my stock ejector as a backup

and finally an aluminum follower to replace the pastic one http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...r-1895-45-70--sku981-000-009-20768-45965.aspx reason being plastic gets brittle in cold and nothing sucks worse than bits of cheap shattered plastic locking up the feed tube

i like the rail system because it lets me us qd rings from http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/?page=shop/browse best qd rings on the market letting me use any optic with backup irons with a quick flip lever

ive put my wife's aimpoint on it for a hoot and that setup works pretty well. but i prefer the trijicon accupoint

the 1895 set up that way is probably the perfect hunting brush gun out there. i simply love mine

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thank you for the websites. I will order the necessary parts. I really appreciate your help, and the input from everybody else.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

When shooting the heavier calibers a 45/70 can shoot, (405gr. and up) might be a little more recoil than a man can handle. ;)
    But they will take any game on the planet, and a perfect gun for fast shots at close range. (If you practice with the mechanics of how they operate).
    [​IMG]

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Wow advice, and attacking my manhood at the same time. Classic Anna. :rolleyes: Thanks I guess.:p

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Not just yours :D

And people up here really get off on the large cowboy lever hoops for faster action.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Ah man, and I thought I was special.:rolleyes:

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

actually the big loop sucks for fast shooting in summer as its just too damn big. however its relly great in winter with thick gloves. you just cant get a good shooting grip with decently warm gloves and the standard lever.

between the two on a hunting rifle ill take the big loop since most hunting is done in fall and winter when you are wearing gloves.

my cowboy action shooting rifle has the small loop since i use it in spring and summer and the smaller loop aids faster shooting

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What? You guys down there don't have winter all year long? :eek:

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing i forgot to add... *sigh* i like the 45-70 as its loads in handloading leave off right where the 458 winmag starts using pretty much the same bullets

15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

What is the max range for a flat trajectory with the heavier bullet? This round will be new to me. Thank you.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

i zero mine at 100 and this gives a pretty flat shot to 130 yards and max drop at 150 of about 4.5" at 200 13" and 300 of 46" this is using a 350 grain softpoint at 1900fps. its normally about .5 to 1" high up to 100 then starts dropping.

im not a huge fan of shooting game past 150ish yards. if i need to shoot past that i use a different rifle in the gbl's big brother my win mod 70 in 458winmag pushing that same bullet near 2600fps and pretty damn close to 308win drops to 300yards

nothing really beats it up close

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

The 45/70 is one of the most tested gun/calibers of its kind. The Union army would lob them over in volleys at the confederate armies camps in the civil war over a mile away.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Actually 130 yards is excellent. I zero in at 100 yards myself. I hardly shoot game past 130 yards because we hunt in woods and deep forests. On a drive hunt, the game is heading straight for us. This seems to be the perfect rifle for my hunting situation. The furthest shot I ever had to make was 400 meters in the mountains hunting Alpine game. This was with a Remington 700 in .308.

19. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Sorry folks but it is now time for the poo party. I'm not sure how Marlin is still selling lever guns. I've been in the market for a 45-70 for a couple of years now and check the local peddlers quite often. NOT ONE of the 1895's handed me over the counter showed any signs of craftsmanship. I keep hope alive thinking maybe one day, I will be able to handle one that the butt stock doesn't look like an untrained monkey fitted the poor thing together.:mad: I really want a new GBL but have my eyes pealed for a nice JM stamped 1895.

I wish you luck should you decide to have them throw one on the boat headed for Germania.