Marlin Hammer extension

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mthom1957, Feb 26, 2014.

1. mthom1957

mthom1957 New Member

I have an old Marlin 336 Rc 30-30 made in 1950. I have scoped the gun and now I am finding it difficult to get a hammer spur extension that will fit this gun. Marlin says they don't carry any that will fit and so far everywhere that I have checked only carries extensions that fit Marlins from about the 1960's to present. My questions would be (1 Is there an extension that will work on this gun. 2 Is there a hammer from a newer model 336 that will fit my gun so that I may fit an extension to that hammer. 3 Does anyone have an idea on how to maybe work on the existing hammer to make it work with an extension for another model gun.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, mthom

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What is the width and thickness of the hammer? Picture?

3. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

IDK about the earlier Lever Action Marlin's, but when I had my 1987 30AS I used a Weaver one piece mount and mounted the scope using High Rise Rings, that gave me enough height to get my thumb in there to manipulate the hammer.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

5. mthom1957

mthom1957 New Member

Marlin Hammer

Ok guys, to answer a couple of your questions the width of the hammer is .277 and the thickness is .130 at the tip and no pics cause I'm too dumb to post them. Also, I suppose I could put higher scope rings to help alleviate the problem some but I like the hammer spur extension for cocking the gun. I also suppose the rifle could be altered to fit a newer hammer but i was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with fixing this issue.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Does your current hammer have a threaded hole for an extension now??

If so find the thread pattern and size get a small aluminum rod tap to fit and cut it to length paint to match. No need to mod the gun itself.

7. mthom1957

mthom1957 New Member

Marlin Hammer

The Uncle Mikes extension is one that I bought thinking it might work but it did not. As for the question about the hammer having a threaded hole, it does not but that is an interesting thought to maybe pursue. I would have to find something suitable to use as the spur extension. If possible though I would like the fix to be minimally labor intensive as possible.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Pull out the welder and attach the shank from an old bolt. :)