Marlin golden 39a

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by zackthatsit, Feb 25, 2013.

1. zackthatsit

zackthatsit New Member

I was considering the 39a as my first .22 rifle. Thoughts about the gun?

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

Welcome!

The 39A is a well built, sturdy rifle. Wish I still had one in my collection.

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I have one,
    not the golden,
    And I love it.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

See if you can find one that predates the Remington buyout. Their quality is much better.

BTW, how about heading over to the new member introduction forum and introducing yourself to the nice folks.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Mines a 1978. I wouldn't sell it unless it was an emergency.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The 39's are great guns. I like the "Mountie" model.

7. Clem

Clem Member

My first gun was a Marlin 39A in 1963. I still have it and it shoots great again after I had it rebarreled because, despite what some may say, a .22 barrel can be shot out if you shoot it enough. More recently I found a 39A Mountie, made in ’69. It is also great, but more difficult to find. Another candidate is the Winchester 9422, if you can find one of those.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The 39A is heavy, expensive, accurate- and the one rifle you will keep forever. My grandkids are still shooting the 39A my Mom bought my Dad for their first anniversary.

Machined steel. Black walnut. What a rifle SHOULD be. Sadly, have heard the complaint that quality has slipped since Remington acquired Marlin- have not seen to judge for self.

9. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Nice rifle ,I Have had one since 1969. I would check out the current manufacturers also. Henry,Browning there may be a few others. You will know which one to buy when you put them to your shoulder. If I did not like the Marlin,I would not have kept it for 44 years. :)Cliff

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

Wish I had one!

11. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

My second one--like an idiot I traded away the first one--is forty years old. They are man-sized, wonderfully well-made rifles and very accurate, or were when I got mine. The lawyers stepped in and made them start manufacturing them with cross-hammer safeties they didn't need, but mine (and my 336 .30-30, unfortunately long gone) predated that change.

I'm really distressed to hear that quality may have suffered since the buy-out. The model dates back to 1891, and to the best of my knowledge no other rifle has ever been produced longer. If you can find a pre-safety model in good shape, it'll be worth grabbing up and running like hell.

By the way, I was told by someone who should know that a replacement firing pin has to be fitted by a smith. My brother lost the pin from his somehow. I ordered a new one for him, and it fits and functions perfectly. Of course, his 39A is also 40 years old, but I have trouble with the idea that expensive fitting is needed.

12. ChanceMcCall

ChanceMcCall New Member

It is the one .22 I would never sell. I have 3. Two are collectors (squirrel stocked) and a .39D that I bought new and have absolutely no idea how many rounds have been through it, but it certainly is in excess of 10,000.

I agree that buying an older one will improve the quality.

13. sdm1002

sdm1002 New Member

I know, I know... who is this guy. I haven't been in for quite some time, but I'll be sticking my head in once in a while.

About two years ago my cousin gave me her father's 1957 39A Mountie. It is absolutely the best shooting rimfire I have. Wouldn't trade it for all the tea in china. If you don't have one, get one. You'll never be sorry.