Marlin 995

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by king1138, Sep 29, 2009.

1. king1138

king1138 New Member

A work friend wants to sell me his old Marlin 995, but I wasn't sure what it's really worth. I don't want to over or under pay. He says it's in good condition and shoots fine, but he has 4 other .22 rifles and just wants some extra room in his safe for a new .17HMR. I don't know the exact condition, but it is old and used.

Anyone have a thought on how much this rifle is worth? Is it a good buy or should I save some more pennies for a Ruger 10/22?

2. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

995?

I think a Marlin 995 is a .22mag semi, should be round $250-$300 for a decent one.

3. group17

group17 New Member

Like my marlin 795 alot.
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand if I was in the market again I would go with the remington 597 that comes with the 4x scope new for $169 at di*k's sporting goods. Much nicer than the basic 10/22 at $300.

4. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

The big name stores (D!cks) sometimes offer Ruer 10/22s for around $200 so like you said for a few dollars more buy new. If the price is right and it is in like new condition then grab the Marlin as they are great rifles. My Marlin 882SSV 22mag is a tack driver, I picked it up used with scope for just over $200 a few years back and it outshoots my friends $800 Kimber 82. So to answer you question it comes down to condition and asking price ($100 or so)

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

How do you come to the conclusion that a Remington model 597 is better than a Ruger 10/22?

6. stalkingbear

You're thinking about the model 925 I believe.

7. group17

group17 New Member

Remington is better for someone not wanting to spend money which is what the thread seems to be about IMO.
    Since the Remington is already less than the base 10/22 and the model mentioned comes with a full size stock and scope your already further ahead price wise because you don't have to buy a scope as an upgrade.
    10/22's are great but everyone that gets one wants to replace the trigger, stock, barrel...
    Even me
    [​IMG]

8. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

About $100-150, depending on how GOOD a condition.

Basically, the 995 was the Tuxedo version of the model 7070HC/795 for a little while, notable for it's checkered Black Walnut stock.

Marlin rifles are famous for three things, precision (<1" average groups at 25 & 50 yds), heavy lawyered triggers (easliy modified), and they FTE like AR-15's when dirty (also easily manageable).

The precision most folks don't mess with, but they do tend to accurize by Pillar Bedding, which shrinks groups a wee bit to the one-ragged-hole variety.

The trigger mods are pretty darn easy. You start by simply polishing the trigger/sear mating...that usually makes it feel MUCH more crisp & light.

NOTE: READ this all the way to the end, some mods were Improved over the years & some were found to make little if any difference. The JBWeld trick got Improved to a 6/32" setscrew for adjustability.

The dirty issue is solved in a threefold manner.

First, never use Remington Golden Bullet, Thunderbolts, or Winchester Wildcat ammo. Reason, fires DIRTYER than a three-dolla hooker. Worse than old WW1 Russian ammo. Also, the Remington stuff is inconsistant as all heck.

Second, CLEAN the rifle totally before taking it out for the first time, a lot of folks and don't clean out all the packing grease in the nooks & crannies....which then turns into GUM...which causes 98% of FTE's. Especially in the two slots on each side of the barrel where the extractors sit.

After the initial cleaning, treat it like an M-16A1...clean the action after EVERY range visit, squirrel/rabbit hunting day.

Third, Polish all mating surfaces...especially the bolt itself and where the bolt slides on the inside of the action, AND the Rod Guide which helps the recoil spring. If you have a 20+ yr old Marlin, get a new recoil spring & buffer, the difference will SHOCK you. Then check the Feed Throat and make sure it's not all scarred up from some Donk poking at it with a screwdriver or other implement of destruction It should be smooth & gouge-free. Polish or replace if beat-up.

now that those issues are resolved, there's ONE more...PLEASE make sure that the Ejector Wire is in the proper position!!!
    See this?
    [​IMG]
    right between the forefinger & thumb?? That's the Extractor wire.

Make sure it looks like that.

Thats it. Not only will your Marlin cycle WAY better after those manipulations, it'll outshoot CZ's if you are any good.

Oh, while I'm at it, read this. This is every trick-out accessory I've found so far for Marlin Semi-auto rifles. You can do just about as much with Marlins as you can with a 10/22.
    Marlin 60/795 Accessories
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  9. big shrek

Nope, you're thinking 922, which is based off the Camp 9 carbine.

The 995 is a .22lr, semi-auto...just a wee bit more dressed up than the 70HC/795's of the same time period.

10. big shrek

Nope, the 925's are all BOLT-ACTION ;)

But nice try :)

Don't feel alone, I have to refer back to my marlin books all the time,
    as their Series Numbering system leaves a LOT to be desired.

11. stalkingbear

All helpful information but I wasn't aware you're supposed to link to another forum without permission.

12. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

The model 995 is a magazine fed, cheaper model Marlin sold in retail department stores back when they could. It's not a mag, it a .22LR only semi auto with cheap wood, I know I have one! Mine still has the remnants of the sticker under the fore-stock!

As far as the 10/22 I would not own one as I got spoiled owning a Marlin model 60 in stainless steel and it holds 14 rounds of .22LR. It also has the micro grooved barrel which make it's accuracy phenomenal! When I first got it would not feed as it should so I sent the receiver in and they sent a new improved version with some definite trigger and sear work done at the factory!

Chief Jean François Pouliot (Ret.) :)-)

13. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

That's another thing that frosts my butt. In almost every catalog you get on accessories you see tons for the 10/22, stocks, sights, etc. But not even a different stock for the Marlin 60, while they even make a retro stock for the 10/22 to make it look like an M1 carbine! To say there is no preferential treatment for some makes and not others is so much horse do do.

14. king1138

king1138 New Member

While I do appreciate the info, my decision was made for me almost two years ago! He decided not to sell, so that was that. Anyway, thanks again for the replies, but I think we can let this two year old irrelevant thread die...

15. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Gee whiz I didn't even look at the date before I shot my mouth off, sorry about that. Just looking for info on the Marlin 995, will check closer next time,

Jeanp1948

16. king1138

king1138 New Member

Lol, no big deal. You sure made me laugh tonight...

17. big shrek

Boyd's Riflestocks has Marlin 60/795 aftermarket stocks...all of which ROCK!
    Ross Thumbhole In stock now
    SS Evolution in stock now
    and others which pop up from time to time

Also, if you can find a Ramline model 70 stock, they slip right into those as well, whether Lockarm or Folding.
    I can't remember if the 995 has LSHO or not, but if it does, treat it like a 795 when inletting the LSHO lever hole.
    [​IMG]

The Lockarm can also be converted to a Folder by means of an ATI-SKS Retrofit Kit. Check your state laws for legality.
    I think Cali, NY, NJ, DC, & Ill prohibit them.

18. big shrek

To my way of thinking, the reason Ruger 1022's have such a huge aftermarket is because the original rifle is a plinker.
    If you want anything better than pie-plate accuracy, you have to upgrade it.

A Marlin 60 or 795 (or any of the many semi-auto derivations) will give you dime sized groups at 25 & 50 yards right outta the box if you treat it right.

Its like the Ruger 1022 is like an AK47 and the Marlin 60/795 are like an AR15.
    Ruger eats anything and shoots pie-plate groups, while the Marlin hums rounds into dime-sized groups & needs more cleaning.

Current sales...
    Ruger 1022 - slightly over 7 million sold since 1963.
    Marlin 60 - slightly over 13 million sold since 1960.
    Obviously the Marlin has sold way more & is more popular...but has little aftermarket support, mostly because it doesn't really NEED anything...
    other than aftermarket stocks & a DIP trigger/guard combo ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  19. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Boy you guys taught me a couple of things I certainly had no idea of. I never would have thought Marlin outsold the Ruger by that much!! I love Rugers also but had a Marlin Camp Gun in each of my cruisers and we loved them cause they took the S&W 9mm mags and were interchangeable, something you don't want to frig with in a fire fight is trying to get the right mag in the right firearm!!!
    I also never thought there was that much good aftermarket stuff for the model 60, man I love that new stock on yours, makes it look somewhat like a MG42 Kraut machine guns, man my dad hated those things during the War! Ours sounded like a woodpecker while the MG42 and MG43 sounded liked rip paper! How I digress when I get going. Thanks again gentlemen for your great comments and pics, I have been somewhat remiss in my gun boards lately. Hey check me out in Facebook under "Pennyroyal Firearm Safety" started out as a frigging hobby for crying out loud and I'm supposed to be retired!!

20. big shrek

Which reminds me...I need to do a vid using my "Select-Fire Finger" with the 795 in a few months :D
    But MG42 is a bit quick...I'm more AK47-speed...and I'm still working on correcting those Shooter's Ridge 25-rd 795 mags...

I've been studying/practicing J. Miculek's technique for a couple years now...and between that and intense training...
    gotten bloody quick...just need to work on precision a wee bit more...sometimes I move past the target
    instead of making the proper hesitation...but it gets better as I practice.