Marlin 981T

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by h2oskikrazy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. h2oskikrazy

h2oskikrazy New Member

My dad had an old Remington bolt/tube mag .22 that I really enjoyed shooting. It must have been a 512 as near as I can remember.

He sold it because he messed up the sight while coon trapping.

I would like to buy a gun in similar configuration and I stumbled across the Marlin 981T. I wonder if anyone has had experience with it. I am also open to looking at other both new and used bolt/tube mag. guns and would like recommendations.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with the marlin .22 bolt actions. They shoot very well within their class.

3. duckn3

duckn3 New Member

Recently bought a 981T, put a 4x9 scope....put a three shot group in
    1/2 inch at about 45 yards....shooting Remington Gold. Shoots much better than my 10/22.

4. h2oskikrazy

h2oskikrazy New Member

I ended up buying the 981T. Fired some CB Longs, CCI Shot shells and CCI Minimags just for fun. I need to get the sight adjusted. The windage is off. No scope yet. I would like to hone my open sight skills first. I have a Rem 552 Speedmaster w/scope. So, I am already familiar with rimfire optics shooting.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin Micro-grove barrels are unreal. Accuracy way past the Stevens & Savage. And when you add in the Accu-trigger that they put in the Marlin...if you can shoot worth a tinker's darn, you can shoot sub-moa at 50 yards with .22lr, no problem, with iron sights if yer eyes are good.

6. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

7. marlinman2008

marlinman2008 New Member

My name says it all...I just got a 981T and i can easily hold a 3/4"(.750)group at a hundred yards shooting american eagle 40gr solids.Mine has a Tasco Pronghorn 3x9-32mm,its a slight step up from my model 60 which is an awesome,reliable,accurate,eats anything,rifle.For 30 yard can shredding i love my 70 papoose with a BSA 30mm red dot.For out to 150 yards i recomend the 925M(.22 mag),its a very stout,accurate,and durable rifle.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member