marlin 925m

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hdwrench, Feb 23, 2010.

1. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

i bought this rifle used a few months ago . i wanted something in 22 mag for a long time ,when this gun came along at a great price i jumped at the chance to buy it . it was a used gun at purchase but looked to be in almost new condition . the previous owner never stated haveing any problems with it . well after i got it home and bought a decent scope and rings for it i looked forward to the first range visit . well it didn't go good . when the rifle fired ,accuracy was good but i started getting many ftf's (fail to fire). i assumed i had bought a bad batch of ammo as the cci's fired off more then the winchesters ,but i still had ftf's .so i bought another handul of bullets with poor results . well after the last encounter i figured it was time to visit the gunsmith to see if we could salvage her . he went thru the gun ,replaced the fireing pin and spring . then test fired the gun ,the brass he fired had a better hammer strike then all my spent brass . hope this is the problem , i'll update after the weekend when i'll take to the range again to check it out .

wrench

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

3. Blackwaterkatz

Blackwaterkatz New Member

Sounds as though you probably found the problem. I have one of those, and it's always been a great shooter, after a little trigger work when I first got it. Let us know how yours performs after the repairs.

4. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

will do . mother nature is bringin in a foot of snow in the next 24 hours so i'll look to shoot sat . or sunday .

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Maybe- just MAYBE- previous owner liked to dry fire. Bad ju-ju for most rimfires without a snap cap of fired casing in chamber. :confused:

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

That would be my guess as well...

I do occasionally use plastic wall anchors as snap caps ;)
    Periodically turn 'em if doing multiple dry-fire sessions.

And YES, the old pins have a U-shape, the new ones have an O-shape, they still fit.

7. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

update

well just got back from my cabin .the 925m is still haveing issues . tried to fire the gun using the poorest ammo i have . the cheaper winchester 22 dynapoint .this is the ammo i had most mis-fires with . the first round chambered did not fire .the the rest of the mag did . 1miss 6 fires . the second mag had 2 misses and 5 fires . i re-chambered the last to missfires and they both fired the second time in the gun .i'm puzzled as to what to do next .

on another note ,my 1953 winchester 62a didn't miss a beat . looks like it was in the big war but still funtions fine .

8. big shrek

After putting in a new spring & pin, that ain't the rifle, that's the bloody ammo.

use that ammo to plink with but don't expect much out of it.

I'd also look at where I was storing the ammo.
    It needs to be a COOL, yet not Cold area that is DRY & Free of Moisture.

Humidity needs to be controlled.

9. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

well just to update . on my next trip to my cabin i took a variety of ammo,for the 22 mag . the winchester dynapoint ammo shoot again very poorly . took 16 hammer strikes to fire 7 rounds . if a round didnt fire i spun the unfired round a few degrees and retried it . a few took multiple strikes to fire one round took 4 strikes but eventually fired . win super x , cci , federal , hornady were all 100 % good . looks like i have a bunch of win dynapoint to toss into the lake ........i wont even attempt to sell this junk .

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good news. Ammo isn't cheap in .22mag, but it's a darn sight cheaper than a new rifle.

11. big shrek

Actually, I'd call Winchester and tell them that you seem to have gotten a bad batch...quite often they'll have you mail in the old box with whatever's left, and send you a new box.

12. 400class

400class New Member

Anybody know where to find a marlin 925m synthetic stock?

13. big shrek

Ya want just the stock or the whole rifle?

This search engine will help you find the Whole Rifle at a Gun Shop near you :)
    GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie
    Granted, any idiot at any gun shop can order one for you. If they can't, RUN AWAY!

Stocks...that'd be a matter of preference, but I'd call Marlin Customer Service & have 'em send you one cheaper than anywhere else.

14. 400class

400class New Member

I'm just lookin for the stock. Can't seem to find one anywhere.

15. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

anybody have a custumer service number for winchester . looked on there website ,no phone number . i tried to email but no reply from them .....

16. big shrek

In that case, call Marlin Customer Service direct...number's on the marlin website.

They'll sell ya one :)

17. KurtPochert

KurtPochert New Member

Fail to fire Dynapoint ammo with Marlin 925M

I just purchased a 925M with all of your same problems. Dynapoint ammo is by far the worst, but even Super X and CCI had misfires to the point of being NOT acceptable. The only authorized Marlin warranty repair here in Michigan is Williams Gun Sight in Davidson. They still have the gun, and I will update the results later.
    I have a Ruger Single Six revolver with a Magnum cylinder. The Dynapoints, and everything else, fire without any failures. The Ruger pin strike is absolutely the nicest center fire type dent on the edge of the case that you would ever see. The Ruger fired everything perfectly, especially the Dynapoints! The 925M has the poorest strike pattern I have ever seen compared to any other .22 I have ever owned. It barely hits the edge of the casing. What gives, Marlin?! Very disappointed, but if they do fix it and it seem reliable with the Dynapoints, I'll keep it. Even though the 925M is an inexpensive gun, it should not misfire the way it does at all, in my opinion.
    It has been said that the Dynapoints have a harder brass case, because of the greater pressures needed to push out the 45 gr bullet, and that is the cause of the misfires. Not acceptable. The Marlin 925M should still fire that cartridge properly.

18. big shrek

Yep, it should. My Marlin 25MN fires everything, no issues with that :)

Makes me wonder if they got a bad bunch of firing pins or springs...and if you two have similar serial numbers...

So...what are you guy's first Three numbers?? :D

19. KurtPochert

KurtPochert New Member

Marlin 925M problem - S/N 916...

The first three digits on my FTF Marlin 925M are 916... If Marlin fixes my gun to the point that it fires the Dynapoints, i will be a happy camper, but I will still send a letter to Marlin with my dissapointment in having to spend alot of time and effort to get a new gun fixed! I just got notice that the gun is ready for pickup. Being away for the Labor Day weekend, it will have to wait until next week. I will let everyone know of the results after a range checkout. Dynapoints only! It is NOT the ammo!

20. KurtPochert

KurtPochert New Member

Marlin 925M repaired

I just got the gun back today from Williams Gunsight in Davison, MI. All is well, as it fires everything I give it including all of the Winchester Dynapoints it wants! (New "stricker" and test firings with my provided Dynapoints)

I guess this goes with the addage of "Customer Beware" because it seems that Marlin is willing to repair the gun - nothing more! Why must the customer spend half the price of the gun to get it repaired to the point that it should have been, not defective and working properly, as a new gun?

A letter to Marlin, with a tone of frustratin, has been sent to them asking for at least some compensation. I'll let everyone know of the results, if any.