Marlin 917VRX bolt

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by eltoro, Dec 24, 2012.

1. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Well I went to wlamart to buy dish soap and deodorant and bread. Ok Got that stuff and decided to get a Marlin 917VRX, and a box of winchester v-max 17hnr ammo. Also purchased the cheepy 3-9 50mm scope total damage was $275 but worth it for controlling the critters in my yard. Less headache explaining to police if called of why I shot a crop damaging coon or other critter with a small caliber bolt action then explaining why I was controlling the critters with a .223 spikes ;)

Well later in week I test fire the new critter control.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The 917V is a good rifle. Mine hated 17gr till about 200+ rounds. I desided to try them again. I guess the barrel needed a break in period because they shoot fine now. I have the old style Bushnell Trophy 4-16x40mm on mine. I like the Amberglow reticule. I have a 3-9x40mm on my A-bolt .22WMR. Both are great vermin getters.

3. eltoro

eltoro New Member

So should I use the 20 grain at the start of break in for this rifle ? or what ammo did you find to work best at start ? I do really like the rifle it is good quality for the price I paid. I may buy a different scope but this $40 walmart scope does see far now seeing and shooting are different stories as we all know. So I may buy a different scope before I goto range to make sure I am on the money and not wasting a range trip.

4. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

I like my 917V, Keeps getting better, but not been able to shoot for a while( my 917 that is.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shot when new

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

In the above photo, I installed a cheep BSA "Sweet 17" scope, zeroed at 50 yds, turned turrent to 100 and that is the resulting target.. I have fine tuned since then...

6. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Well I went to range yesterday tried the rifle and didn't hit the target once ! I took scope back to store and ordered a different scope I plan on sighting scope in on a quiet day at range. Every moron was out there unloading full autos and complaining about ammo prices MORONS ! OK so here is the scope I ordered and if i still can't hit the target with the next scope the rifle is for sale ! I took my AR out to check the site on her and bingo on the dot all the way to 300 feet . So I know it isn't me I will be super mad if my 30-06 rem 770 doesn't aim good.

7. jpattersonnh

Did you boresight the scope??

8. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Here's my 917 v got a 3-9x32 bsa scope on it, shoots better than I can shoot it.

ForumRunner_20130105_211020.jpg

ForumRunner_20130105_211034.jpg

9. eltoro

eltoro New Member

boresite

I did now with a laser from walmart. But haven't had test to goto range yet. I ended up getting some chinese huge scope with all kinds of stuff on it from amazon using my cc points so it was free. not real happy with scope but when I get it site in it should be better.

I tried using the laser at range but the darn sun wouldn't let me it was hiding the dot.

Here is scope I purchased
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UT3N4Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

10. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Nice

I like the wood stocks gives the rifle a classic look. with a modern touch with your acc. I hope i can get mine sighted in it's driving me nuts. But the range I use here in florida is a county public range and everybody has to go shoot their ar's and machine guns and 50 cal it's insane you would think ammo is cheap lol.

Thanks for the pics again

11. cgersty

cgersty New Member

No problem at all, I refinished the stock, had a painted stock on it and couldn't see the grain in the wood, so I minwaxed it in red mahogany and semi gloss poly, I like wood on certain rifles I own.

12. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Why is your scope so high above bore... this can cause a proble when boresighting then trying to hit at 100yds... If you boresight that rifle at with that high a scope mount, at 26 yds you are realy going to be high at 100 due to the angle of the bore and line of sight, when bore sighting you have to consider the bore /to line of sight height. yours looks like it would be 2-21/2" above bore... you would probably be a ft. high at 100.Rule of thumb, keep the line-of-sight of open sights or scope as close to bore as possible... If you have acccess to a BROWNELL's Cat. there is a chart with proper ring mounts height. use the formula and lower that scope for a more accurate rifle. Even if you can sight in at 100, you are not going to be as accurate at other ranges ....Keep the scope as low as possible will give you better accuracy at a wide range than you will have with your setup....Brownell also has a good video on mounting scope...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  13. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Sorry eltoro, I was looking at the rifle posted by cgersty. Did you post a pic of your 917V..

cgersty, do you have a problem with your rifle scope combo?... your's is the one with the high scope rings. seems like it is high and would realy shoot better if it was lower...

eltoro, post a pic if you like, want to see your rifle...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  14. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I used to have lower rings on it, had to swap rings with the scope on my wife's 30.06 they were too y'all for her, I don't shoot this rifle all that much so it doesn't bother me, and it will still stack the shots on tip of each other and kill still hit squirrels in the head, one of these days I will put some shorter rings on it.

15. jpattersonnh

Do you know what the literal meaning of bore sighting is?? Remove the bolt, look down the bore at the target. Move the scope reticule to the same point. Check bore again and make final adjustments. You'll be on paper at 100 yards if the target is at 100 yards.

See above response. All this crap they sell is just for them to make money. It works no better then what I described above. It does not cost a dime. My A-bolt .22WMR has see through rings. Scope is vgery high. Shoots 3/4" groups through the bull at 100 yards.

16. eltoro

eltoro New Member

I agree it's crap and I went to range and got the scope set now. Lucky it was rainy used the laser to get me near the center "like 2 feet away" and from there using ammo I got the rifle set with scope. And my scope sits high but no problems all I wanted was 75 yds and thats where it's set at.

17. cgersty

cgersty New Member

The scope on one of my ars is mounted on top of the carry handle and I can bust coyotes in the head all day long at 100 yds with it, scope is at least
    4-5" off the muzzle and I adjusted it and it shoots fine, I may be a little more concerned about it if I was bench rest shooting, but I'm not, my guns are working guns.

18. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Here is the Marlin I have I had a bipod on rifle but the crappy sling hook cracked from the bipod :( so I figure out something .

I guess the rifle isn't what I expected but for plinking well it will work for a solid 75yard armadillo kill shot. I look forward to testing my remington 770 30-06 when i get back down here. I know I should have got the 700 but for $275 for a new 770 30-06 with scope why not i have that almost in the silly little marlin lol

Attached Files:

19. jpattersonnh

If you zero at 100 yards, you'll be set from 0 to 125 yards.