marlin 795 help!!! :(

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by marlin-owner, Dec 13, 2011.

1. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

okay so my marlin 795 is about a year old and i took it out three days ago, all was well till the fourth box of thunderbolts. i know its a cheap round but 1$ per box you cant pass it up. well after the fourth box it started jamming horribly. so i put it away and broke out my mosin. after the day was over i took it home and stripped my marlin to bare bones and found my slide spring guide was bent! a little rod that slips into the spring that guides the slide back. that explains it trying to load 3 rounds at once. not only that, it was dirtier then i had ever seen it, and after 4 boxes, which explains the slide closing on a half way ejected shell. what do i do????? :confused: :confused:

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Are thunderbolts approved for use in that gun?

Excessive dirt hampers the free movement of parts.

Clean it and replace parts (or talk with customer service.)

3. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

i looked up the owners manual online and it says to use only hp ammo and it says not thunderbolt but pretty much any other hp round... would it be considered dangerous if i bent the rod back to the original position???

4. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

pretty much my only concern now is, the slide spring guide. i call it the bolt rod for short. it seems extremely strong but it was bent when i stripped it. so i bent it back to original posision. it took a pair of needle nose and a decent amount of force to bend it back. mind you i cut myself on it and had hoppes elite nitro solvent on my hands in the mean time. like putting hot sauce in your open eyeball. but back to my question, is it dangerous?

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Sounds fixed to me. My Marlin 60 performs well with Federal bulk packs from Walmart. I agree that $1 a box is cheap...but you get what you pay for. Thunderbolts are the worst.

6. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

alright. thanks everyone for the help! ill probably trade my last box of thunderbolts to my friend who uses bolt action .22's for something more suitable for my auto loader.

7. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

CCI or Blazer or Winchester or Eley or Federal...good stuff.

Anything made by Remington in the rimfire category = suspect, not very consistant.
    Heck, buy ammo from ANYONE other than Remington when it comes to .22LR
    Even ARMSCOR .22lr ammo is better!

8. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

what about the winchester hp brick. it looks temping with the all wood case and in big writing it says limited edition. i looked at it and inside was ordinary winchester hp rounds in 50 round boxes but no where on it says the velocity??? i would like something closer to 1300 fps because thunderbolts are 1255 and jam up my rifle horribly. idk if its just the components used in the making of the remmys or what.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Just buy the federal 550 brick. You might also look into shooting solids in heavier grains like 40 or 45. Federal makes both

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

10. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

ill give them a try thanks again everyone!

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Problems with Remington rimfire ammo include:
    Out-of-spec cases
    Out-of-spec bullets
    Low powder loads
    Zero Powder loads (Squibs)
    bad primer tamping
    no primer at all
    exceptionally dirty powder components, which means really dirty firing & grit leftover.

Remmy rimfire ammo is the worst ammo you can buy. Almost anything else will run just fine.
    I usually use Blazer or CCI for the first 1000 rounds...then use Federal/Winchester Western/Eley/ or more CCI/Blazer.

12. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

i have had decent luck with remmy thunderbolts when the rifle was out of the box new. then switched to subsonics, those didnt even cycle the slide. i have not used anything but remmy's... :(

13. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

I have been using remington hv .22 ammo and my 795 jams a lot...i hope it's just the ammo...has anyone else been having a lot of jamming? The gun is new, a clean.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Remington 22 ammo is unreliable. Try a different brand like federal value brick. Also swing by the intro section and tell us about yourself.

15. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

Thanks...i started to suspect that..since the gun was new. I will introduce myself...once I figure out how.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Go to the list of forums and click on firearmstalk.com forums. There you will see introductions

17. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

I've shot mostly Remington Golden Bullets through my 60 with very little trouble. If the rifle is clean and oiled lightly I can usually shoot 500+ rounds with out too many problems. Maybe half a dozen misfires and squibs combined per 525 round brick. The CCI Blazer shoot 100% though, and I would recommend them to anyone. But if your rifle is shooting good it should fire the High Velocity Remington without excessive duds or cycling issues.

I can't speak for the other Remington rimfire as I haven't' tried the Thunderbolts or subsonic or any other rimfire rounds from them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  18. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

I'd say the dud rate I'm seeing with the high vel. Remington long rifle is one in 8...it could be the rifle, but it well cleaned beforehand. Next time I go plinking, ill use the cci and post the result.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Are you shooting golden bullets? Or vipers? Or yellow jackets?

20. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

Read the owners manual. Marlin is very specific re: the ammo for the 795. I have had no problems using HV @1230-1250.