Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I got a good deal on a Marlin 60 SS on a local forum. Looking forward to testing it out. One of my first rifles was a model 60.

I'll get some pics up soon.

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Very nice, My brother still has his Marlin 60 from the late 80's, It is a black/wood/plastic version, It could use a little love, But its still a nice working rifle.
    I loo forward to the pic's

3. DocWard

DocWard New Member

My brother and dad both still have Marlin 60s. My brother's was the first firearm I ever shot. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of rounds that has gone through it. Planning on picking one up sooner rather than later for my daughter to use.

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

My first riffle was a model 60. My Dad picked it up at Kmart on the way to take my sister and I out shooting for the first time (1st time with a riffle, he had already taught us to shoot his H&R .22).

I was hitting quarters with open sites at 60 paces (not sure the actual distance) on that first day with it. My dad even made a little plaque with one of the quarters.

When I was in high school my sister and I or my friend and I would take it out almost every weekend and kill a brick with it. Then my brother lost the plunger for the tubular mag. for it and it went for a decade without being shot (or cleaned). Then my other brother came up with a new plunger and I started playing with it again.

It kept having FTFs (both kinds) and I finally broke down and cleaned it. I had to use a jewelers screwdriver to 'chip' out the build up, and it's functioning like new again.

Gosh, that guns gotta have over 10K rds. through it.

5. Colossal Urprising

Colossal Urprising New Member

Nice. I have one and love to shoot it.

I did have a FTE one time and it shot another round into the casing of the FTE. It messed something up, so you may want to be mindful of that.

Cost $40 for the gunsmith to fix it so it wasn't too major.

6. 995

995 New Member

Picked up one about three weeks ago I really that little rifle it's so fun to shoot.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The Model 60 is truly an American classic rimfire.I still have the one I got as a present back in the 70's.There's no tellin how many bricks of ammo that have been shot through that little 22.
    I really need to dig it out of the safe and shoot it,along with all the other old 22's that have been resting for years in the safe.

8. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

As an afterthought, pick up some dental picks to use when cleaning. They get into any small crevasse or crack you can think of.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

[​IMG]

This one is used and I don't think the guy EVER cleaned it. The gunk build up in the chamber was incredible. It still managed to fire about 500rds today without a hitch. It was alot of reloading, but that thing is on par with my 597 volquartzen.

Here it is after I cleaned it up and mounted a cheap scope on it. :cool:

10. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

It's much prettier with the SS than mine is in bluing, and my stock doesn't have any engraving.

Looks Good!

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Thanks for the tip. I normally keep toothpicks in my cleaning kit for that, but this required more than a toothpick was up to.

12. Pulldawg

Pulldawg New Member

Looks great, I've had one and a glenfield for the last 20+ years. They're still firing great. Nothing like breaking them out and popping cans all day!

13. Sarnesr

Sarnesr New Member

First rifle

My Mom bought me a Marlin Model 60, from a pawn shop, when i was 12 (in my 40s now). It was handed down through 3 siblings before making its way back to me. I still shoot it. Haven't had to do any major repairs as of yet. Plan on picking up a stainless one for my 7 y/o daughter.

14. Gloves

Gloves New Member

*noticed this post from the FirearmsTalk newsletter*
    I had inherited a "Glenfield Mod. 60". I love it. I consider
    it the rifle that separates the marksmen from the shooters.

QUESTION: I have always wanted to put a scope atop me Marlin 60.
    It's not as easy as mounting a scope on my AR's picatinny rail. Is this a
    do-it-yerself operation involving licking-n-sticking the scope rings on like a
    postage stamp ~Or~ is Is there measuring, drilling, tapping and aligning
    involved and probably not to be attempted unless you are a 40-year
    experienced gunsmith?

Thanks for the help and great thread! Keep it going!

Pictures:
    http://www.glovesandclover.com/temp/glenfield-60-marlin.jpg
    And the kick-ass squirrel!
    [​IMG]

15. thetravlor

thetravlor New Member

Anyone getting a new one has to be careful of the rear sights. The local big box store had a sale and I looked it over but not close enough. The rear sight moved back and forth so much I ended up having to buy aftermarket peep sights.

16. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Mounting a scope is easy. Your receiver is grooved for a scope mount. Just buy a scope mount for a .22 with a grooved receiver.If you want to step up on the scope, don't buy just any scope made for a .22. Buy a 1" tube scope made for a high powered rifle. I have Bushnell 3X9' on 4 .22's. Buy grooved receiver mounts for a 1" scope.

17. wktipton

wktipton New Member

Marlin model 60

I have one that I paid $2.00 for in Germany. A neighbor failed to register it with USAREUR (U.S. Army Europe) and was afraid to, because he thought he would get into trouble, so he gave it to me. Me, being an MP, knew everyone in the Provost Marshall's Office, so for $2.00 I registered it. After cleaning it and honing the sear, and installing a 4X32 scope on it, I can hit a dime at 35 yards. Don't know how many squirrels that I have shot with this thing, but it shoots better than the Ruger 10/22 that I sold!

18. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I was also stationed in Germany, and bought a winchester model 290 deluxe at the on post Rod and Gun Club. I paid $40 bucks for it, nib, and brought it home with me. I still have it and it still shoots without a hiccup. By the way, I was stationed at Crailsheim, almost exactly halfway between Stuttgart and Nuremberg. I was in the 5th Bn 73rd Arty, Sgt Missle unit, and was the CBR-NCO and armorer for the battery. If you're on Facebook, check out the McKee Barracks page....

19. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Geez, FOUR .22s! that's great! one fore each... hand?

OK, more to the point... I see how there are groves on the top of the receiver.
    I also see groves on the top of my 1911... also for mounting scopes???

Are these the rings i can use?
    41682 - 1" Tikka Quick-Detach Rings High Black Matte if so, how do they hold again?

I don't get how groves (previously used as a nail file) will make something 'stick' to
    the top of anything unless i'm expected to hold it very steady and balance the
    scope atop the gun. That could be a whole new sport in itself!

BTW, on my Mossberg 500 - there were 2 pre-drilled holes that i mounted a nice rail
    on, for me optics. Only needed a standard Flathead screwdriver.

*Edit reason: wasn't done typing & formatting*

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  20. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

The scope mount on a model 60 is a 3/8" dovetail, you can buy rings that fit it.
    On my gun I bought a dovetail to picatinny (weaver) adapter, when mounted you can still use the factory iron sights, but the scope sits a little higher, mine is a B-Square and works for me, the grooves you mount it to are the ones on the side, not the ones you see on the top, I guess they could be usefull as a fingernail file.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012