Marlin 60

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by GHOSTSSX, May 20, 2009.

1. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

Ran across a 1984(I think.. serial begins with 16) Marlin 60 in approx 60-70% condition for $80.

Has sctratches, worn spot on barrel from a loop strap(my guess) dings, etc.

Not dirty, just looks really well used. Sold as-is and do not know if it fires or not.

Is it worth $80...worth it if it does not work?

Thanks

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

That was the first .22 I bought right after I turned 18.
    Yes it is worth $80 as long as it shoots (does it have the small scope on it?), I saw one at a gun show last weekend for $125 in good cond.

3. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

For about $50 more you can buy a brand new one at Wally World - they go for $130 where I live.

5. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

I don't think any of the WMs in Birmingham sell guns anymore - Academy does and the 60 is $179 and a 10/22 is $249 I think.

Anybody from Bham know about any WMs that still sell guns? The 3 nearest to Hoover do not.

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

In Alabama? Now I know the country's gone to sh!t!!! The base model Ruger 10/22 in Wally World up here goes for $199. The stainless version is about $250.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm not sure it's worth $80 if it does work. But if it does, it'll probably last forever!

PM stalkingbear. He has a ton of experience with the 60. Not all good experiences. Not a big fan but trust him!

I'm doing a refinish on my Revelation 120 (Marlin 60) over on: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post107914

I want to shoot in the monthly plunk fest and don't want to buy another .22. I got some trick ideas to pimp my Western Auto! [​IMG]

8. JoshRushing

JoshRushing New Member

I see alot of newer models for $85 or so (which I would pay) Judging from your description I'd pay $50........just my 2 cents.......

Like RL357MAG said a new isn't much more....$140 or so around here

I've had one for years and really like it, its put many, many squirrels on the table.....

9. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

Yes, AL has gone to the crazies. I hear that some of the ones not in the city still sell them.

Cane
    Nice restoration. I would love to find an older one. Glenfield, WA, Sears or whatever else thay branded them as. I just like the history of them and the fact they are so good!

CHUCK

10. Water-Man

Water-Man New Member

Better off buying a new one. It's a great rifle!

11. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

Well, I went ahead and got it - for $70. After looking at it again, and it had been looked at by the gunsmith - I thought it was a good buy. I'll try to post pics later.

Now I can enter tango's shootin' match!

Thanks for everyone's input.

I will still prob get a new 10/22 - they go for around 250-270 arounf here - wood or poly stock.

CHUCK

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks Ghost, if it stops raining I'll get a chance to shoot her this week-end. [​IMG]

13. GHOSTSSX

GHOSTSSX New Member

Cane,

Do you have any tips for re-finishing the metal? It is not scratched, just the finish is worn off at places.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm assuming it's blued?

If so, you have two choices, let her wear the worn patch like a badge of honor or have a smith re-blue the metal.

Problem with old, less expensive guns is the original bluing process was one area where the manufactures could cut cost. (And they did!)

There are home bluing kits and they will save you money but......there's always a but! You will never match the original coloring and the larger the spot, the more obvious the fix.

Bluing is applied to provide a trouble-free surface preventing oxidation. A mature barrel with old warrior bare spots can be protected with a frequent application of CLP. I like Rem oil.

I didn't want to pay the price of refinishing my Marlin 60 because the cost would be more than the value of the gun!

At $5.99, the can of Krylon camo paint fit my budget!

Hope this helps. If not ask for more info.