marlin 60 repair

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Kdub, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Still plugging away on my 60 stock disaster. I'm not having problems with the action cycling after shooting. First round goes off fine, ejects, then the next shell tries to load but jams when the action closes. It actually punches holes in the casing. I'm thinking about replacing parts buy wonder where to start? I was thinking bad loading ramp. Is there anything else i should be looking at?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My first thought would be springs. Have you pulled everything out of the tube and checked for wear and tear or dents?

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Could be alot of things. Sounds like when you work the action by hand it feeds the shell OK? If so then the action may not be fully cycling when you shoot it and that is causing the jams. I'm sure you have fully disassembled and cleaned/lubed the gun?

4. orangello

orangello New Member

My buffer went last year, plastic bits were all over that action, suuuuucked.

5. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Yeah everything was clean, buffer was good, cycled fine by hand. Just when that 2nd shot tries to chamber it doesnt fully slide in then the bolt crunches it. Doesn't happen every shot, but 95 percent of the time it does.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Have you tried different ammo?

7. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Haven't tried different ammo. When I was younger and shot it a lot it never had problems and was extremely reliable.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

9. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Great thanks. I'm willing to buy new parts since it is my first gun ever or I would junk it. Anyothers I should replace while im at it. What are the odds the loading ramp could be causing a hang up?

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's possible just take a close look at it see if anything obvious stands out. You might want to replace all the springs sometimes when you replace one it can cause issues with other fatigued springs that work in conjunction.

11. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Great advice. Thanks.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My pleasure. Hope it takes care of the issue.

13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Start with the Tube Mag Spring...if its weak, it won't push 'em in correctly.

Fun thing is, you can replace it with pretty much any tube mag spring the same length, just switch the followers.
    But since you are new to Marlin 60's, look for an OEM one...save you some work.

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  15. jperry1466

jperry1466 New Member

I was having feed and ejection problems with mine, but not holes in casings. Took it apart and cleaned and lubed. The feed ramp was really gunked up. Polished that and problems went away.

16. MountainRobin

MountainRobin New Member

Kdub, I had that problem with my Marlin 89C, I downloaded the parts page and went through trying to see if something was mission, couldn't really tell because the parts list was very small and didn't give much detail, well I ordered a new bolt (didn't need) and extractor, when I saw the new extractor, the problem was evident, the old one din't have the complete hook, it was almost straight, the new one I put on, and what a difference, she's as good as new!