marlin 60 questions

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by sagenodland, Oct 29, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Just a couple of questions I have for gunsmithing purposes
    Is the receiver of it aluminum or steel ?because I want to either blue it or anodize it
    And how do you remove the barrel?! It looks pinned to me but im not exactly sure on it

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, barrel is pinned. Go to gunpartscorp.com, pull up the marlin 60, and there is a schematic there. Barrel retaining pin is part #3. Am not a smith (hobbyist collector of boomsticks) but sometimes can be difficult to separate aluminum receiver and steel barrel without doing damage.

Yes, they are aluminum. Go pull one of the magnets off the fridge, and test it. Most people do not have setup for home anodizing. Product by Birchwood Casey called Aluminum Black. See link- » Birchwood and Casey Aluma Black Review/Overview [230Grain.com Repost] Miso Studios » Benjamin Toombs

Taking a model 60 apart has caused some people to develop an unexpected proficiency in profanity.

3. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Yeah I looked that up and decided it isn't needed but I wanted to re-blue it but it just needs a little bronze wool

4. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I want to keep the wood stock..well wood and I can see painting the receiver black but I like the jeweled bolt you have how long did that take you?

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The Marlin barrel is Pressed in, it is best pressed out.
    Which means, you need access to a press.
    It can be a royal pain...and folks have killed receivers trying to do it.

6. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

So how would you re-blue the barrel then?

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the barrel is pinned in like was said. you can remove the barrel, if you are very careful. i removed mine when i cleaned it up and repainted the receiver. make some witness marks to be able to reinstall barrel correctly. place barrel in a padded vise, with a wood block on the receiver, carefully tap on the wood block to remove the receiver from the barrel. if needed, spray some penetrating oil around the barrel where it goes into the receiver. don't forget to remove the barrel retaining pin. reinstallation is simple, place barrel into vise, and line up the witness marks, also there are splines on the barrel to aid in correct orientation of the barrel to the receiver. if not correctly aligned, the barrel retaining pin will not go in all the way. carefully with the wood block, tap the receiver in until it is in all the way. replace the barrel retaining pin and that's that.

8. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Thanks for all the advise and I saw this on another post on here and the guy put black semi gloss krylon paint on the barrel...how would that hold up in the long run?

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Krylon- No. Products like Cerra-Kote, MADE for guns- yes.

10. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

But is it glossy because I don't really want a matte finish I want a classic squirrel getter looking rifle...if that term makes alot of sense

11. Axxe55

i used Krylon Camo flat black on the barrel of my M60 when i redid it a few weeks ago. cerra-kote would be better, but i only gave $70 for the rifle. now that said, i didn't just spray paint on the barrel and put it together. i took it all apart and cleaned everything several times and used 3M scotchbrites to clean and rough up the surface. then cleaned somme more and then did a final wipe down with alcohol. before i sprayed, i heated up the barrel and receiver with a propane torch, ( wife wouldn't let me use the oven for some reason! ) just to warm up the metal then used three light coats just to cover well. then i let it dry overnight. so far it has held up well. very happy with the results. now a more expensive rifle i would spend the money on the cerra-kote or similar product.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  12. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Yeah your the guy I saw paint his gun on a post
    I thought it looked really good
    But...how has it held up?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  13. Axxe55

so far so good. she ain't no safe queen either. i don't abuse my guns, but i don't baby them either. key to any coating is prep work. clean and clean some more. i paid like $70 for the gun, had the scope from another gun when i upgraded it's scope, spent about $10 on materials, ordered a set of 1" rings to fit the receiver, so i have less than $100 in the whole rifle. i feel that if i was going to do a much more expensive firearm i would buy a better product made for firearms. Brownells has some excellent products for sale. even though i did this one on the cheap, i still cleaned and prepped and took my time. even the best products are worthless unless you prep properly.

14. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Can you get glossy duracoat because I've only seen them with a matte finish or even a semi glossy finish

15. Axxe55

i think you can get them in gloss too, but i not 100% sure. might check their website to see what choices they have. i have heard good reviews on the duracoat products and don't think you can go wrong if you decide to use it. i just used what i had on hand and didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something to just a small a project.

16. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Im making this my project gun because well...
    We have 6 marlin 60's
    If that's not to many but this one stood out to me and I wanted it to be to its full potential.
    I just want it to shoot minute of squirrel and look good doing it

And on another note,it doesn't have swivel studs. How would you go about drilling a hole for them without cracking the stock?

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Less than an hour.

Attached Files:

18. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

So I refinished the stock and that cheap wood actually had a good grain

I refinished it my own way first by sanding off the finish and then going up to a finer grain all the way up to steel wool. Then I stained it with a rag and standard furniture stain. After that dried I buffed out the extra and sprayed wood verethane finish on it and did 10 coats of that and buffed out with steel wool between coats

And this is the prize from the work
    A little amateur but good for my second stock
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

19. Axxe55

very nice! turned out good. you did a good job with the stock. a little time and materials can even make those cheaper stocks look good.