Marlin 60 Questions

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by kukerdan, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kukerdan

kukerdan New Member

Hello, I just picked up a Nice 80's Marlin 60, 18 shot.

I am wondering what peoples experiences with these guns are?

how do you like em?

what is the most accurate and reliable round for rapid fire?

What is the most powerful round that this gun likes? Stingers? Super Maxi?

What kind of mods / accessories are there for this gun?

I found the fiber force stock, and that is kind of neat.
    are there any nice scopes / red dot sights/ laser sights that you would recommend?

Anything else?

I use it mostly for target shooting / plinking / small game

Thanks

- Dan:)

2. Gene Langston

Gene Langston New Member

I had a Glenfield version, a good rifle. Not too much you can do for one except maybe put a scope on it. With a tubular magazine, re-stocking it won't add much performance. They're accurate enough, not in the custom built rifle, but good off-the-shelf accurate. Plenty accurate enough for anything you're likely to use a .22 for.

I like tube magazines because they hold more ammo to shoot up. Marlin has always made a fine rifle.

I shot regular .22 LR brick stuff. Different brands, it shot well with all of them. I don't remember if it had a preference.

3. kukerdan

kukerdan New Member

Yes I have a glenfield also, I just like the look of the fiber stock and it has the pistol grip, may help with aiming.

I also have an old 30's iver johnson model X .22 , thats the one with the safety bolt. Really nice old gun, very accurate.

4. Conradm

Conradm New Member

I added sling swivel studs, a bipod and a 3-9x40 scope to mine. Also painted it satin black. I also just shoot the brick/cheap stuff. Works great!

[​IMG]

5. kukerdan

kukerdan New Member

:)

Nice gun!

Ill get a pic of mine when its back from the shop, broken hammer.

Ill also send a pic of my iver johnson model x, which is nice

and we just picked up a remington 514 routledge (smooth bore)

hard to find!

6. stetson

stetson New Member

I have a marlin model 60 which is my favorite 22 semi automatic. After about
    3k rounds on it I had to send it back to marlin and they had to repair it because the bolt wouldn't release no matter what I did.Marlin did better than
    replacing just broken part they replaced the whole rifle inners.I got my rifle back in three weeks ! Now that service ! I though the rifle was history so
    I wanted to try to by another marlin 60 because all I had left in my collection was mossberg 36b which is a bolt action made in late 30's into the 50's great
    bolt action.So I bought a ruger 10/22 for me it's fancy target model with
    fancy stock,with bull barrel.It's o.k. just doesn't measure up to my marlin 60.

7. Sigma40

Sigma40 New Member

I have 2 Marlin 60s. I have the original wooden stock on one of them and a synthetic stock on the other. I love both. I don't have any trouble out either. As far stocks, my brother put a Dragunov on his. I don't care much for it. It looks good but the pistol grip is too small for my hand. I feel cramped when I put it in my shoulder.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I've had to work on too many model 60s to even remotely like them. Basically you're stuck with whatever you get, and hope it's accurate & reliable. The 2 best recommendations I could give you are trade it in on an Ruger 10/22, and barring that, keep it as clean as you can & stay away from the bulk pack ammo.

Also the tube magazine holding more than 10/22 Butler Creek 25 round or the teardrop drum holding 50 rounds is incorrect and tube magazines usually take longer to load.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

loading a ruger 10/22 is quick fast and easy and did i mention QUICK. It will take them as fast as you can stuff them in.

10. doggone06

doggone06 New Member

I've had a few 60's all of them quite trustworthy. Keep them clean especially around and under the extractors, and clean the chamber occasionally. I've found CCI stingers to work the best with mine.

In addition to the Fiberforce stock, Muzzlelite makes one called the Bullpup, look here:

Muzzlelite Stocks

a bit pricey but they look nice.

Have fun with it, IM me if you have any questions.

Brian

11. stalkingbear

Glad you've had good luck with them. I've had to fix dozens of them over the years so my opinion MAY be different than if I hadn't seen so many "bad" 1s.

12. doggone06

doggone06 New Member

I've had a couple of problems with other marlin 60's, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I guess they are like cars, it's what you are comfortable with and they will all last a long time if properly cared for.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Were you cleaning it and then it did this?

Mine did the same thing, it was a spring that got one of its "legs" on the wrong side of the right side.

It pissed me off trying to figure it out, so I took my other Model 60 out and started comparing part by part to find the problem.

WOW, I couldnt disagree more. I have owned 5 model 60's, two Glenfields, two from the 90's, and one new one. I shot my first one till it would only function as a singleshot. I sold the Glenfields, gave my brother one of the 90's, and still have the newer one. Its topped with a 4-12x40 Bushnell, and holds 2 moa at 150 yards, So I cant complain about accuracy at all.

Me and my buddy used to shoot telephone poles at a halfmile away with my old one. Im impressed it could do it. Aimed about 5 feet high from point of impact.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  14. stalkingbear

I stand by my post-most are accurate. But some are NOT accurate (rare) or reliable (more common) and whatever you get out of box is basically what you have. They don't lend themselves to accurizing like the 10/22. I'm glad you've had good luck but truth be told, I've had to fix literally dozens of them. They HAVE vastly improved over the years but I still remember the older 1s too clearly.

15. 97powerstroke

97powerstroke New Member

I have two of them and am very happy with them both, no problems yet. Each of them has had at least a few thousand rounds put through them my me and I got them both used so don't know really how many rounds they have had through them. More then accurate enough for me. I do wish there were more aftermarket accesories for it like the 10/22 has though. If you just want a good gun to go out and have fun with I think the marlin is perfect but if you want a gun to customize the 10/22 seems to have a LOT more aftermarket accesories available.

16. Rimfire McNutjob

Rimfire McNutjob New Member

My dad has a model 60 it has been a tack driver since day one. Never had a lick of trouble with it either.

I guess you get some lemons and you get some cherries.

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I've had a Papoose (Mod60 action) since 1986 and I love it. Never jams, super accurate, which is rare considering it's a take-down, and it shoots any ammo. My brother has a 1970's vintage Marlin that looks something like an M-1 Carbine and it too is a Mod.60 action. It's a tack driver as well and has been reliable for almost 40 years. The Mod.60 action has been the staple of Marlin .22's for many decades, so they must be doing SOMETHING right!