Marlin 60 10% jamb rate

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by KAG, Sep 4, 2011.

1. KAG

KAG New Member

My marlin is well maintained but sat in my closet for 6-7 years without being fired. I pulled the stock off and oiled the gun.

I bought a box of Remington ammo and took it out to the ranch and I experienced 1-2 jambs during extraction every mag (or tube load).

This has never happened before and so I looked for a problem or foreign material in the receiver. Didn't find anything.

Does anyone have any advice?

TIA

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Remington makes some of the worst ammo anymore for rimfire,I'd try another brand of ammo before moving on to figure out if there's another problem.

3. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I agree change from remington ammo and that should help some.

I have a marlin 70 it is the same firing mechanism as the 60 but diff feed(mine is 7 round mag). When I got it it would jam 1 in 5, after a few weeks mine is down to 1 in 50 jams and I am pretty sure it is my mag at 33 years old.

I would take it apart and clean if very well. I cleaned mine 3 or 4 times before I was able to get all the crud out. After each cleaning I would shoot it and see a improvement. I use a old tooth brush, Q tips, Rem Oil (spray bottle) and a cheap gun cleaning kit that came with oil and a solvent that really cleans up the carbon. (I don't use the cleaning rods I picked up a bore snake and only use it)

As good as marlins are I would guess its dirty . Good luck

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. KAG

KAG New Member

wow thanks guys. I opened up the receiver and it looks like it was laying in dirt! That ammo must have been filthy.

I spent 3 hours cleaning it and put 50 rounds of Federal through it and opened it back up and it looked great. Also no failures!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

99 times out of 100 the problem with a .22 rimfire is fouling. Clean it and clean it again. Flush it out with gun scrubber (do this outside as it will make a mess) and clean it again. If it is older, the oil in it has likely dried and gummed everything up. And yes, Remington .22 ammo has a reputation for being the nastiest stuff available. Try some CCI mini mags.

6. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I carry a bottle of oil with me to the range. After 60-70 shots I notice the slide doesn't move as smooth so I put a few drops of oil and it helps the feeding.

Glad it is doing better.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's almost always ammo, and each gun has a different taste.

If your rimfire has FTF or FTE issues, change its diet. [​IMG]

Oh yea, personal hygiene is a wonderful thing.

8. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

As soon as you said "Remington" I had an answer. Remington is junk, period.. I use CCI mini-mags in all 4 of my 22's without a hiccup, and 2 of those are semi's.

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Remington Rimfire Ammo - Massive FAIL!

10. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 on what every one eilse said.
    F.K.

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, do a search of Marlin FTE on this site and you'll find my helpful Marlin 60/795 hints.

A little polishing can go a LONG way towards making even Remington ammo less of a pain.