Marlin 39a

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by tazzman55, Dec 4, 2017.

1. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

Has Marlin discontinued the 39a?

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

They seem to have suspended production back in 2015 in an attempt to straighten out some quality issues. It is not in the current on line catalog EXCEPT as a 39A Fancy from their custom shop ($3,195). Have asked customer service, will pass along their response.

AZdave, Dallas53 and MisterMcCool like this.

3. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

Can they still claim that that it has been in continuous production since Moses?
    Or does this break the chain?

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tazz,

If you want a 39-A I would suggest you do what I did to find my Model 336-C 30-30 last year. Find a nice one on sale on the internet. Mine 30-30 was made in 1970 back when Marlin was still making very top quality rifles. And my 39-A was made in 1978. It is a fine little rifle and made very well with good wood. As of late like a lot of gun makers they have reduced the quality of wood and other parts on guns. The Marlin stocks for example are not the quality wood of years past.

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

it's not showing up on their website. so i'm guessing it's been discontinued. shame too. they are nice little rifles.

6. c3shooter

Well, just got off the phone with Marlin Customer Service. The 39A is NOT currently available, except as the 39A Fancy. Will they be bringing it back? Would hope so. Can they claim it has been in continuous production since Hector was a pup? Maybe, since you can still get it as a 39A Fancy.

7. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

My little 1966 vintage Golden 39 A Mountie, carbine model, was a gift from a deceased friend. So, I don't know about current production. What I do know is that this little gem is about as good as it gets in lever action 22s. Wouldn't part with it for anything. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I have not personally confirmed this, but I read on another forum that the current 39A "Fancy" is a new rifle constructed of old stock parts that are on hand at the factory except, as I read, the safety was added. There is no safety on the older 39As like the one shown in the pic above.

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Will these feed .22 shorts?

9. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

mine does feed shorts, longs and long rifle

SRK97 likes this.
  10. c3shooter

SRK- yes, shorts, longs, long rifle cartridges. Machined STEEL. American Black Walnut stocks and forearm. My grandkids are shooting the one my Mom bought Dad for their first anniversary.

Sniper03, Mouser, Bayou and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I think the Marlin 39a is a truly classic firearm and if you ever had an inclination to own one, I'd recommend you hop to it as you won't be disappointed and the prices/availability is still very good. Sounds like that might be changing...I'd have to look up the vintage of mine, but I believe it was manufactured in the mid to late 60's and my father handed it down to me. As a young man, I spent much time in the woods hunting squirrels with it and I will pass it on to my son as well

c3shooter and Bayou like this.
  12. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

I picked up one that was produced in 1988, the first year they added the safety and rebound hammer. The Lyman peep that came on it is bent so I ordered a Williams 39TM for it. Even customer support at Williams could not confirm if their standard 39 sight would work on my 39AS rifle. I don't think it will so I went with the top mount version.

Mouser likes this.
  13. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

Was shocked to find that the top mount is only held on with one screw.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tazz

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by Top Mount.
    If you are talking about the Upper Receiver "yes" it has the one large screw that hold it to the Lower Receiver. But if you notice it has a section of the upper that goes into a notch on the Lower Receiver. Which when put together, the Large Screw is all that is needed to securely hold both the Upper and the Lower Receiver together and secure.
    The 39-A IMO is a classic high quality little rifle. And certainly since evidently they are not making it anymore it is worth getting and keeping one!:)

15. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

The simplicity of that design is a true marvel imo....the less moving parts, the more reliable in general. I'm sometimes surprised other rifles didn't copy or at least mimic this feature. The new Ruger Mk IV is maybe an example of that simplicity but it took years to finally become important enough for Ruger to address the unfriendly nature of the series

16. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

I was referring to the Williams top mount peep sight. Side mount sights use two screws. The top mount uses one larger screw at the front of the reciever. This to me just doesn't seem very secure.