Marlin 336SS scope

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Maxwell1, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Maxwell1

Maxwell1 New Member

I purchased a Marlin 336SS lever gun about 2 years ago. Beautiful gun, and more accurate than I will ever be. But I'm past 45 and wearing glasses, and I need to scope this. Ideally, I'd like some suggestions for a fixed, lower power scope, preferably 3x or 4x, and preferably in stainless. I'd also consider a lower power variable scope in the 1-4x or 2-6x range. If it's a lower profile that would be great, too. I've hesitated for quite a while because it almost seems like a sin to put a scope on such a cool looking rifle, but I want my shots as clean as possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would stick to a 32mm objective lens or smaller for what your wanting to do. Also With a lower end scope like many of these a fixed 4 or 6x are going to be stronger scopes. I am not saying don't get a variable just remember that fixed power has less moving parts and that make it more rugged.

Weaver has a couple of K series scopes that are fixed 4x might take a look at them.
    SWFA Weaver Rifle Scopes Weaver Classic K Rifle Scopes

Also Vortex has a few lower power scopes in the Crossfireline.
    SWFA Vortex Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire Rifle Scopes

Sightron has a few 3-9x in their S1 line.
    SWFA Vortex Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire Rifle Scopes

Redfield as a few scopes in the area your looking for. I have heard (But I don't know from first hand knowladge) that redfield (Made by Leupold) have a 2 piece main tube which can cause problems later in the scopes life.
    SWFA Redfield Rifle Scopes

Now In a class up you have the following.

Nikon has some straight objective African Monarch scopes that may fit your needs.
    SWFA Nikon Riflescopes Nikon Monarch African Riflescopes

Bushnell Elite 3200 has some decent scopes with just a slightly higher price tag.
    SWFA Bushnell Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scopes

Then you step up to the better 4200 series That is equevlant to Nikon Monarchs. They too have some good scopes that may work for you.
    SWFA Bushnell Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 4200 Rifle Scopes

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I run a 4x fixed Tasco(1970's) on my 336 30-30.

Im getting ready to put glass on my 336 .35 Remington.

Would like a VX-3 1.75-6x32mm, but man are they expensive for what little magnification they have.