Marlin 336CS

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Reaper61, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Pawn shop rescued a Marlin 336CS for $250 over the weekend. The serial number dates the rifle to 1986. The cosmetics are pretty rough but the internal components are good to go. Got a new project to keep me busy during monsoon season here in Louisiana.

Attached Files:

2. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

30-30 or 35 rem? Either way I'm green w/ envy! :)

3. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

4. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Just some general rambling on the subject....and I gotta get back to work,haha.

If you get a chance,snag the M.L.McPherson book,"Accurizing The Factory Rifle".There's a nice section in it about these rifles.

Even though we have the capability's to produce rifle's from "scratch" in our machine shop...it's not something I'm particularly interested in doing.IOW's,we're not gunsmith's.BUT,there are "some" slight modification's that I will take in hand.For the price of the above book,the serious DIY guy can make some minor,but significant tweaks.Nice rifle,and the very best of luck.

5. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Most of the modifications I will be making are cosmetic. IE re-finishing the wood, putting a new rear barrel band on that already has a sling swivel attached, adding a front sight hood, and if I get SUPER brave re-bluing the metal.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

$250? Ski mask or bandana?

7. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Both!! :D Plus I got a discount for being military!

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ya' dun reely gud! :)

9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Great rifle and you bought a good year for Marliln.
    The 336 in 30-30 was my first rifle back in the early 60's ended up selling it in the early
    70's and getting a 336C in 35 rem. Still have it and still use it.

10. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

I went to the pawn shop which doubles as our lgs not dead set on buying anything and asked the guy if he had any lever guns. He did and the rest is history. Didn't blink, didn't call the wife to ask (that got me in a little bit of trouble), just said ok I'll take it.

11. CA357

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. ;)

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Be patient and persistent. She will eventually give it up as a lost cause as long as you dont spend money you dont have. We were recently talking to some friends and he asked if I knew anyone looking for a 357. You can guess what happened.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's pretty hard to go wrong with a good lever rifle. Looks like you got a good one there...

14. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Truth. Especially in this case because I was gonna buy it anyways! :)

15. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

At my suggestion, my son got one in .35 Remington a few years ago. He got the all-stainless version--not as pretty of the blue, of course, but weather-resistant. He says it "kills on both ends", but he's taken an awful lot of deer with it. I had a .30-30 version around 40 years ago, and like a fool traded it. Fine rifle. So is my second 39A .22, which I've had for forty years.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  16. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

I finally got some ammo in so I can go to range. Just waiting on the rest of the parts I ordered to show up

17. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Parts showed up when I gout back from the range. The.gun shoots a couple inches high at 50 yards. Re-finishing the wood and replacing parts. Will post pics when I'm done.

18. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Finished (for now) product. New rear barrel band with sling swivel. Patched the holes from the old swivel and added a front sight Hood.

Attached Files:

19. CA357

It looks great. What did you use for a finish on the wood?

20. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Birchwood Casey's Tru-oil Guy stock finish. I put three coats on.