Marlin 336c

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by danolator, Jun 4, 2012.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

And this concludes my ensemble for the year. Ordered the 30-30. I expect to have it for the remainder of my life. Here's the rundown:
    H&R single shot 12ga - first shotgun purchased early 1980's
    Rossi 38 special 2" snubby 15+ years old
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22P
    Mossy Maverick w/Blackhawks specops gen 2 stock (buildout in progress)
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Marlin 336C (on order)

That is all.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

But there is so much time left in the year.

3. danolator

danolator New Member

Gotta have time to play w/the Mossy, scope the 30-30, sight it in, and make sure the handguns don't get lonely.

4. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Congrats. Be sure you inspect it well before taking possession. Marlin's these days are spotty due to the Remington buy out.

5. danolator

danolator New Member

Thx. Now I need to think about a scope, sling, & case. Anybody have a good recommendation on a scope. Thinking about a Weaver 4X or something similar.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I found a nice older Japanese made (Vs. Chinese made) Simmons Pro-Diamond 1.5-5x. It's nice and bright and clear. Resolves well, adn has good field of view for brush hunting distances. The diamond reticle is nice and easy to pick up quick also. In tight brush it works well on the low power setting with both eyes open. Almost as fast as a red dot. Got good hits with it on paper out to 200 yds as well.

I really like the 336, it's a handy gun for carrying in the brush.

7. danolator

danolator New Member

Update. Gun came in yesterday. Cosmetically perfect as expected. The action is very tight. The lever has sharper edges than I remember from my first Marlin 30-30. I can see this becoming painful when I get it to the range. Hopefully I can loosen the lever a tad or maybe it will loosen with break- in. And last, I am glad they set the sights and tested firing at the factory, but they could have cleaned it up a little!!

8. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

9. danolator

danolator New Member

I really liked this thread. Thanks. Going to polish in one area at a time until desired action is achieved. And I am planning wrapping the lever as well. Adding the 3x9 Redfield scope. 25 yards open sights are very tight groups. Scope, properly sighted will produce similar results @ 100 yards. Then it's off to determine appropriate SD rounds.

10. danolator

danolator New Member

All dialed in.

Attached Files:

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

What a bunch of bs, marlin spotty due to Merger , come on another bs comment with no proof.

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Good to go now

13. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Really? Go look at the horror stories, or better yet, go look at 5-10 rifles. Hell the machine work in mine is chattery at best.

Go ask FFL's who were sending back rifles due to sticking bolts/levers, or the gunsmiths who are fixing NEW rifles.

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Go ask all u want for your uninformed self pal, i have alot of inside info on marlin my brother in law is head of pr an he to found you shotty post just that a big laugh

15. SSGN_Doc

Funny that the head of PR would say that everything is peachy since the Remington take over.

I guess that's why the Marlin Owners website has an entire section dedicated to nothing but complaints about what they refer to as "Remlins".

Now, as I understand it, Remington did basically have the equivalent of a stand down on production of the 336 models around the end of last year. What I have been hearing on the Marlin owners forum about the latest guns released this year, is that quality seems to be nearer to what it was prior to the merger. Fewer problems are being found now. But I'm not going to deny the fact that there were issues after Remington bought them out and moved production and didn't hire any of the original factory workers.

I personnally have seen guns with improperly machined levers, where dimensions were wrong in the trigger guard. Wood stocks not properly fitted. Excessive machining chatter marks. Rifles that failed to eject, and ome the failed to extract. Not read about, not heard about but seen and felt.

Glad the original poster got a good rifle. The Marlin 336 is one of my favorite rifle designs. It seems like things are straightening out again, but I still tell folks to give them more than just a quick once-over.

I've got a couple. One made in 1969, and another made in 1984. They both shoot great, and are solid, smooth, and dependable rifles.

16. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Laughable. PR rep and you expect any less.

Ask him to send me some new handguard cap screws and band to replace the scratched to crap one the retarded assembler messed up on my 1895GBL.

17. danolator

danolator New Member

Thanks for hijacking my thread. Here's the bottom line: I got a good gun and some very helpful advice on how to polish up the action. The Redfield scope is the bomb. And I will hit any target I choose to aim at. All the rest of that discussion should go somewhere else. That is all.

18. SSGN_Doc

Apologies.

Looks like some good shooting there, by the way.

What rounds were those?

I found mine have liked the Remington 150Gr soft points, Winchester 150 and 170gr, and the LeverEvolution 160gr have been the most accurate factory load. Handloads are just a hair more accurate, but don't have the same reach as the Hornady load.

The suprising thing to me was that the Federal Powr Shok load grouped worst.

[​IMG]

Hand load:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  19. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

I'm still hoping they release the leverEvolution projectiles someday.