Marlin 336

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dedshot13, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dedshot13

dedshot13 New Member

Looking at a potential purchase of a Marlin 336W lever action. It's priced at $419, is that a good deal? I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this firearm? Any tips or advice would be great. Even alternatives to the Marlin would help as I was also looking at the Ruger American in .308 for $369. Thanks in advance.

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

You could get both!

A Marlin XLR is basically a 336 that shoots the .308 Marlin Express. The cartridge competes favorably with .308 Winchester. Ammo might be tough to find at your local walmart though.

But $420 new for a blued 336 is more than reasonable.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The 336 is the 2nd most popular deer rifle in the US, behind the Winchester 94. IMHO, it is a better design than the 94. Being side eject, can be scoped much easier.

Cartridges are limite in power to about the 30-30 power range, which is good for about 200 yards, If you are in the Eastern US, will likely meet your needs. Out West, longer shots, something in a .308.

336 would not be my choice for an Alaska hunting trip, but good elsewhere.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's good to hear someone of your knowledge level say the exact same thing as I always do. Besides the advantages of being easier to scope and not bouncing brass off your forehead, I feel it also doesn't look like you are ripping the guns guts out when you cycle it.
    I don't have a problem with the 94s, I've worked on a lot of them and they aren't bad guns, but I highly prefer the 336.

5. dedshot13

dedshot13 New Member

Good point on locational needs. I am from the west coast so that is good advice. I hadn't put too much thought into that. Thank you for the tip. Ruger American is looking more of a better choice.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Still can depend on where you hunt. Open spaces and hills of Oregon, or thick rain forest in Washington. Thick woods are still great for a levergun. Bolt action for open country and clear cuts.

7. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Here is mine. I've had it for over 20 years. It's a great lever action rifle.

I will never sell it.

[​IMG]

8. greeney

greeney New Member

Why is it that a bolt action is better for clear and a lever for brush? I hear people say that, 3030s a good brush gun.

9. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

The way a bolt gun locks its completly different from a lever gun. A bolt gun uses the locking lugs on the face of the bolt to lock into the reciever. On a lever gun the lever itself is used to lock the bolt,and in the case of the marlin uses a rear breach block i think is what it is called. Correct me if im wrong. I have a 336c pre remline and shes my most favorite rifle in the safe.

10. GrimReefer

GrimReefer New Member

I own a 336c ( same thing just in .35 cal ) i Love it.... never needed a different deer rifle, came with raised sight rail with scope .... payed something like $350 3 years back for it...used from gander mountain.
    thinking about getting the 30-30 model next just to save money on ammo

11. c3shooter

The lever gun has a pretty fast action for a follow up shot (much faster than a bolt gun) BUT- the design of the action (as well stated right up there) limits the power of the cartridge. And until Leverlution ammo came along, lever guns with a tube magazine could not use spitzer (pointed) bullets- since the primer would be resting on the point of the cartridge below it.

Lever gun- limited range and power, fast second shot.
    Bolt gun- can handle hotter, flatter shooting rounds, slow second shot.

Hence the heavy brush/ open range discussion.

Now there ARE exceptions to the above. Browning made a lever gun, different design, that shot some pretty hot spitzer loaded rounds. And I have a Winchester 71 That has a locking bar action, and shoots .348 Winchester with enough authority for moose and Alaskan Brown Bear.

12. SSGN_Doc

Couple of things with most lever guns that make them more limited to shorter ranges. Most of it has to do with the cartridges they are chambered for. Most use tube fed magazines, os they use round or flat tipped bullets to prevent firing rounds in the mag when the gun is fired. This causes bullets to slow down a bit faster from drag after they are shot, which also creates more drop, making long shots harder with less residual energy when they get way out there.

Also, as duddie was pointing out, the lock-up on most lever guns happens further to the rear of the bolt which can have an effect on accuracy potential and the ability to handle higher pressures. Many lever guns use an open top receiver that isn't quite as rigid as a tube or box, also limiting the pressures that factory loads will be loaded to. That will also mean lower energy rounds.

A bolt action that locks up at the breech and designed for higher pressure rounds, with spitzer pointed bullets will have more energy at longer range, and flatter trajectories. Those allow for easier and more humane shots to be taken at longer ranges.

Lever guns tend to be fairly light, short, and have an action taht is fast to operate for follow up shots. This makes them handier in tight woods. Also in those tight woods, it is less likely that you will spot game or have a clear shot that would be outside of teh effective accuracy and energy range of the rounds that you find lever guns chambered in.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  13. SSGN_Doc

A 1984 and a 1969 model 336. Both shoot great.

[​IMG]

I like the simplicity of the detail strip for cleaning. I like the boxed receiver for rigidity, contributing to accuracy, and the ability to mount optics.

They can be very accurate with handloads and the Hornady LeveRevolution seems to shoot well in the Marlins I've tried it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

lever guns

Don't forget the Savage 99, which was chambered for some pretty hot rounds such as the .308. And, don't forget the Winchester 88 that was also chambered for some hot rounds like the .284 and the .358.
    ct

15. c3shooter

Cottontop- absolutely correct on both. As I said, there ARE exceptions.

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I killed my first deer with a borrowed 99 in 300 Savage! :cool:
    Another over looked lever is the BLR. I have owned several (308, 7-08, and 358 W) and they were all good guns, but the triggers left a lot to be desired!
    I have the 336 in 30-30, and 35 Remington. With the new Hornady ammo the 30-30 is a 300 yd deer gun! The 35 with the 220 gr SP is my 'hog stopper'!
    both are VERY accurate!:D

17. tCan

tCan Active Member

Our 336, made sometime around 2004 holds just over 1 inch groups with Federal Power Shok.

18. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

Is the one you are looking at a pre remlin?

19. cottontop

cottontop Guest

No big deal about the .300 Savage. It is so close to the .308 as to be indistinguishable. The .30-30 at 300 yards is marginal, even w/ Hornady ammo.
    ct

20. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Also I'd like to add that down here anyway, the guys who don't use AR/AK's use the 336 for hog hunting, it's very popular, I've seen a guy drop a MONSTER hog with 2 quick shots from a 336 and it did the damn job.

I've heard a few elitists criticize Marlin's QA lately but I haven't heard anyone I trust complain about Marlin QA so I take that with a grain of salt.