marlin 336

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lilrichthedragon, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

I'm considering getting a marlin 336 30 30 lever action. I believe its the 1970s version. any opinions

2. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I love mine. Sweet little shooter. With the leverevolution rounds from Hornady it really comes alive. Mine is a newer one, bought new in 2007, but my dad has an older one and they're both deadly accurate. I use mine whistle pig hunting sometimes. Loads of fun. You'll enjoy it.

3. lilrichthedragon

thanks I see alot of people compare it to winchesters model 70

4. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

You probably mean the Winchester '94. I've never shot one, but I hear the newer ones the quality kinda went down. Don't know for sure on that. The Winchester's had a top ejector, were the marlin's eject out the side. Makes it a lot easier if you wanna mount a scope.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

2nd most popular deer rifle in the US- and IMHO, better designed and built than the most popular (Win. 94) Design has been produced for over 100 yrs. Excellent rifle.

6. lilrichthedragon

I plan on getting the marlin over the winchester and I see alot of good high dollar gun companies going down the drain. its kinda sad

7. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Let me clarify that last statement a little. I think the brand new Winchester's (about 2008 on) are super sweet. But from about the 70's till then, I'd probably avoid if I could.

And if c3 said it, it's gospel. Or he's giving me a side ache with laughter. Either way, well worth listening/reading. :)

8. lilrichthedragon

what would be the best scope for this rifle

9. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

That's a whole 'nother can of worms. I use the old iron sights on mine. But I'm looking into anything in about the 2-7 range. Wish I knew more about that.

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good gun in 30.30 or 35 remington. I thought about a flip up adjustable rear aperature for mine. Any experience or suggestions anyone? I can mount it myself.

11. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I installed a set of Skinner peep sights on mine. I am very pleased and took a 7pt buck this past season with it. If optics are your preference, stick with some thing low profile like a 4x32 or 2-7x32. Some people will use see-thru rings so you can use iron sights if needed.

12. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I recently purchased a Marlin 336. From the factory it had problems, my LGS assured me the gun was fine. I hadn't handled a .30-30 in over 30 years so I trusted my LGS. Guess who was right... The rifle had to go back, Marlin was very good about it. When I did get the firearm back from the gunsmith it was perfect! It was a loooong 8 weeks waiting. Shoots tight groups out to 100 yards easily with the iron sights. Enjoy!

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

An outstanding rifle that will serve you for a lifetime. Mine has become my go to rifle for sub 100yard deer hunting but I have not issues reaching out farther with it. The model you are looking at won't have the crossbolt safety which is a worthless addition IMO.

14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Can't say much more than has already been said, except that the 336 has always been my favorite lever rifle.

Jim......

15. sierram37

sierram37 New Member

I love my 336C, always wanted a lever and finally got one. 30/30 ammo is not cheap though. That's the only drawback. Damn near a buck a round. I can get down to .04 for my 10/22 and close to .20 for 9mm at cabelas today.

16. spittinfire

I don't know where you're buying ammo but I'm not paying anywhere near $1 per round of 30-30. Reloading brings that cost down even more.

17. sierram37

sierram37 New Member

14 to 17 for a box of 20 at cabelas. That's .70 to .85 each. Where should I be shopping for this? Not shooting the 336C as much as I want because I've not found an inexpensive source yet. No problem buying bulk, but bulk to these guys is 25 boxes at same price. Clue me in!

18. spittinfire

Last time I bought a box at Walmart I think it was $11 or $12 for a box of 20. Keep in mind this is the cheap Federal soft points but their accurate out of my rifle and will take a deer just as well as something more expensive.

If you keep your eyes open you can find sales as well. I got several boxes of Core lokts for $10 per 20 back around Christmas. I've never had on of them let me down.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as cheap as some other rounds but you should be able to get that price down to the $.50 -60 area.

19. chefsimms

chefsimms New Member

I have one from 1954

I love my Marlin 30/30...sorry my picture taking is not to good

Attached Files:

20. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Check out Skinner Ghost Ring Sights.