Marlin 336

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Seth_A7X, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Hey guys! I just picked myself up a Marlin 336W. I got it used from a guy for $780 (He threw in a sling, case, and 500 rounds of ammo) Anyways, anyone have any experience with one? And should I throw a scope on it for deer? Thanks. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398373291.675036.jpg I'll put up more pictures if you guys want....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would try it out before adding a scope.
    Iron sights don't fog up!

3. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

These are very excellent rifles. They're very accurate, handy, and reliable. I don't know your area, but most places where you'd hunt with a .30-30 you don't NEED a scope but they do look nice on a Marlin and could help out some. Mine has a Bushnell 3-9x40 on it.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would scope because my 50+ year old eyes don't like iron sights.

It is strictly up to you to scope or not to scope.

5. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i have one and i only run iron sights on it but only because i use mine as a brush gun/walking stick,i really love this rifle though.
    i retired my old 94 when i bought mine.

6. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

I have shot it once, and it was accurate as hell. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398379961.316746.jpg 50 yards...

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My very first firearm was a Marlin 336C. Great rifle, bought it in 1971 and still have it. I think you'll love it.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have had a few 336 rifles. Like them a lot. Never paid more than $380, but don't know what the market is like in your neck of the woods. I like them better than Winchester 94 rifles.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Seth,

Nice rifle and good he provided the 500 rounds of ammunition and a sling that made the rifle worth the money. Otherwise he would have got you! Most 336 Models are bringing about $350.00 to $375.00. But with that said with the ammo and the sling you did OK! That knowing that ammunition is not cheap. I have seen it for the 30-30 at around $197.00 for 200 rounds. Obviously it is a shooter as pictured which makes it even better yet! As far as a scope a 30-30 is a great brush and 100-150 yard deer rifle. I would suggest a 4X-6X Scope if you are going to get one for it with Medium Height Rings and a good quality Scope Base. Nikon makes some great scopes for the money and quality. It will make you and excellent deer hunting package. I had a 336 C in years past and wished today I had never sold or traded it? You have one of the nicest lever action rifles made. I like the previous post have a Winchester 94 but liked the Marlin 336 better. Someday I am going to find another 336 C that was made from 1980 or earlier for the collection and to shoot.
    Enjoy that new rifle it is a very good weapon!

10. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Thanks 03.... The guy was originally selling it for $900 but when he heard I was 15 and had a passion for firearms, he lowered the price generously.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And yeah, the 500 rounds of ammo does make the price pretty good. I have a 1.5-5x on one that is still a pretty good scope for close in shots on low power.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It looked like it had a peep sight. If it did stick with that and get a fire sight for the front. My eyes are pretty old (74) and I can still do OK with a peep. The fire sights help a lot. My targets have a 5" black and I line the sights up on the bottom of the black. Puts you 2.5" high at 100 yards on a center hold. You will be minute of deer out to 150 -175 yards which is a long shot for the 30-30.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Seth- Congratulations! You have a rifle that, with minimal care on your part, is going to last longer than you will. My GRANDCHILDREN still shoot my DAD'S Marlin 336.

There will come a time when you will be tempted to trade that rifle for another- the latest, gee whiz, golly, are you still hunting with a lever action 30-30?

DON'T DO IT.

With the possible exception of Moose and Grizzlies, THAT rifle is more than adequate for anything in the lower 48 states. They are well made, honest steel and wood, and that design has been in use since 1893, and the model you have has been produced wince 1948.

Keep scope powers modest- 4-6 is very good. You will likely need a hammer spur offset to be able to cock the hammer with a scope in the way. But as you have found, that rifle does quite well with the iron sights.

Good job, young man!

14. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Alright, thank you guys. What loads would you recommend for deer? I have 5 boxes of Hornady LeverEvolution, 11-12 boxes of Remington CoreLokt and Winchester Super X...

15. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

And then a few boxes of American Whitetail by Hornady, and a few Federals

16. therukh

therukh New Member

Great Gun!

What a great rifle! You did well & now have a rifle you can hand-down after a lifetime of enjoyable shooting! You can always scope it so I would wait & learn to shoot it well with its own sights. Learn where it hits at all possible ranges within 200 yards. Don't be afraid to push the range on targets, but I'd keep my shots on deer-sized game to about 100 to 150 yards. If possible, this summer shoot some varmints. Nothing teaches practical hunting shooting like killing groundhogs & the like with your deer rifle. Try some of each type of your ammo & see which one the gun likes. That will help you decide which ammo to use.

17. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

They really like the Leverevolution ammo. However, If you sight it in with those it will shoot pretty low with the plain round nose ammo. It's kind of one or the other unless you re sight in when switching. That polymer tip ammo makes a 30-30 a true 200 yard gun. With round nose ammo... 100 to 125 is all I'll shoot mine at for white tail. I have 6 deer guns to choose from and always find myself grabbing the Marlin, great gun! Congrats.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the biggest gun mistakes I made was trading my 336T in 35 Rem for one of those High Powered fancy rifles. It would have done everything I ever needed for hunting. I never took a shot over 70 yards on a game animal.

19. flbandit

flbandit New Member

I've had one for a few years now and I love it. it was the second gun to make my do not trade list! our church does range days sometimes with the youth and the women and most people like to shoot "the cowboy gun".

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Seth,

As Duck referred to the trajectory of various bullets. And you being new to the hunting situation with a rifle. One thing you want to remember and do, is sight in (Zero) the rifle preferably at 100 yards with the ammunition brand and type you are going to be using to hunt with. Other rounds as mentioned will most likely always shoot different and have a different impact on the target. But do not change your sights for them. It is best just to know the amount of difference on impact of these various rounds at the yardage and leave the Scope alone. (It is called HOLD!) That is unless you plan on resighting the scope with the hunting ammunition again before you go hunting and waisting more good hunting rounds. So the Hornady rounds are great for hunting with the 30-30 as Duck referred to in his previous post.
    And as they said, congrats on the new rifle! "If it is your first high power rifle" take some advice from an old guy. DONT SELL OR TRADE IT "EVER"! You will regret it later if you do. The voice of experience speaking here! ;)