Marlin 336 questions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by weids, May 20, 2012.

1. weids

weids New Member

I recently bought a lever action Marlin 30-30 from the local dunhams here because it was on sale and I have always wanted this gun. I brought it home and started checking things over a little better (which I should've done at the store) and found that the magazine is very loose under the barrel, I tried tightening up the screw at the end and that didn't work. I was wondering if this is something that is supposed to happen with these rifles or if it's just faulty.

2. Clem

Clem New Member

The muzzle end of the magazine tube is secured with what Marlin calls a magazine tube stud which is dovetailed into the barrel. If the dovetailed fitting is loose in the dovetail, the tube will feel loose. You may want to consider peening the two dovetail tabs just a bit to more tightly clamp the fitting. It should be pretty simple.

3. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

It's a brand new gun, bring it back, show the clerk the problem and get another one. This isn't normal and needs to be replaced or corrected.

4. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

+1...they should send it back or fix it themselves. Ya never know if it could be dangerous to the person shooting it. Take it back immediately

@TooStrongTerry

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF.
    As the guys said bring it back. They should Exchange it for you. Aside from the little issue you have yourself a great gun Congrats.

6. weids

weids New Member

I would take it back but the sign at Dunhams says that there is a no return policy on firearms. It was a stupid pick up on my part I really should've looked it over better than what I did, also along with the magazine tube being shaky I took my scope off flipped up the rear sight and it was completely off line from front sight, it's ridiculous how off these two sights are.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ok is the feed tube loose at the band, is the screw missing,or is it loose going into the receiver?
    Can you take a pic of the sights etc?

8. weids

weids New Member

The rear sight is right after the scope rail. The screw is still there you can see it through the mag tube into the barrel.

Attached Files:

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It looks like the front sight is crooked. All the problems may be related.
    Have you tried tightening the screw? Is that where the tube rattles?

10. weids

weids New Member

Yea the front sight goes to the left a little and the rear goes way right, I did try to tighten the screw and it's as snug as I could get it and yea it moves forward and back.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Give me a side view of the gun and a close up of the sights and screws. The tube shouldn't move.

12. weids

weids New Member

I can move the front band all around.

Attached Files:

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Have you shot it? Taken it apart?

14. weids

weids New Member

I have done neither because I'm not too confident in taking this gun apart and I haven't shot it because I wasn't sure if this was a major problem or not.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If returning it isn't an option I would say go shoot it. You don't want to go messing with the sights if they are gonna work as is. The loose tube may cause some feed issues but you won't know till you try. After you shoot it. If you need to you can bang the rear sight over. I can walk you through taking it apart and we can get a better idea of exactly why the tube is loose and how to fix it.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Slide the band back bout 1" then VERY gently using a hard plastic spatula pry the tub out from the barrel a tiny bit. If that doesn't work I'd say take it to a good smith. As to your sights-a Smith will probably have to fix them for you.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I agree you need to shoot it first though just to see how bad your sights are off....maken sure you have a VERY big space to shoot where no one is around. Like a field at the bottom of a holler.

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It should all be pressure fit against each part. The screw through the band pushes out and the screw through the end pulls in.
    I wondering is the tube moving or just the band?

19. weids

weids New Member

Ok, if I get some time this weekend to take it out and shoot it I will and then I will let you know if I need help. Is there a way on tightening up the band on the front?

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya the slight prying I described....or you can loosen it up a lot then shim it w moleskin