Marlin 336 question.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, Jan 10, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The local gun shop has a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Anybody have any experience w/ the .35? And what is the average going price for a used one in good condition? My son had one a while back and sold it in a weak moment. I would like to help him get into another one and promise me to not sell or trade it.
    cottontop

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cotton, if the price is right i say jump on it. i have never owned the 35, but from what i have read about many others who have owned and shot one, i would buy one if i ran across a good deal. what kind of price are they asking and is it new or used?

3. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The 35 Remington is a great old cartridge that never saw the popularity or mystique of the 30-30. New ammo can extend range. Older Marlins are fine guns. .35 Whelen even better.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

the .35 is making a slight bit of a comeback here in my area, something having to do with the newest hunting laws, some people are now referring to primitive weapons season as single shot rifle season. The .35 seems to be a fairly popular cartridge for a single shot rifle, or at least gaining popularity quickly. Ammo may or may not be very difficult to find, kind of depends on local circumstances.

And rest assured, Marlin make some fine leverguns. I couldn't give you what I think is a fair price, because I don't know. But they are good. I'm seeing 336 30-30's used go for $250-$400.

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The guy is asking $565 which I think is a little steep. It is used. I see them on gunbroker for a little less. I might make him a cash offer and see what he says.
    cottontop

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cottontop,

Just my thoughts! The 35 is not a bad cartridge! But if I were you I would be looking at the Marlin in the Model 336 30-30 cal. The reason is Hornady for example now has new ammunition available that is far superior to the old round nose ammunition that we use to have to use because of the rounds maintained in the magazine tube. Now with the new soft tip ammunition there are better rounds available. And you can go almost anywhere and buy a box of 30-30s. You should be able to find one for $300-$350 out there!

7. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I shot several deer with a Marlin in .35 rem. I think $565 is way high. I agree with Sniper03. A 30-30 is more practical caliber.

8. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

That sounds steep to me. The 336 in 35 Rem is a fine rifle. I shot my first deer with one 25 years ago.

9. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

This was my first rifle. It hits harder than a 30 30 and mine was very accurate. Hornady is making it's LeveRevolution ammo in this caliber as well. The price seems high but otherwise I'd say get it.

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thanks guys for the suggestions of the .30-30, but the rifle is for my son. And, a .35 Remington is what he wants. He is a disabled vet from the war in Afghanistan. I guess he deserves what he wants. He was also a sniper and had to endure conditions for long periods of time that I can't even think about.
    cottontop

11. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Yes, he does deserve whatever he wants. Please thank him for his sacrifice and service for me.
    As he was a sniper, I think he'll enjoy how accurate the .35 is in the Marlin. Mine amazed me and I'm in no way a sniper!

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I sincerely hope your son is doing well. I am a 30% DAV and have had almost 20 yrs of dealing w the VA. It is a beaucratic labyrinth that will require all the courage and patience you can muster.

Back on thread. A long time ago, a gun writer was irritated about people heaping praise on the 30-30 at the expense of the .35 Rem. he said the 35 leaves a 20% greater wound channel before expansion and somehow, I always remembered it.

All things being equal, your son would appreciate the ballistic advantage of the 35 Whelen. It's a 30-06 necked up to 35 caliber and comes into its own w 250 gr. projectiles. Have heard tell of the 35 Alaskan which will break the 3K fps barrier but I have never seen one personally nor due I know what case it is based on. (other than its got to be Big)

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I agree the 35 Whelan is a great cartridge but can't be had in a lever action. You can get the Remington 7600 pump, the 7400 semi-auto or bolt actions. The 35 Alaskan is a monster from what I've read but it's only a bolt action affair. You may find someone cambering it in a single shot also. If he wants a conventional lever action in a .35 caliber that ammo is easily available in, the 35 Remington is it.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I got the Marlin in .35 Rem. The guy went down $100. This is an older 336 in excellent condition. It has the longer 24 inch barrel. That will boost the MV a little. On the down side, it is not drilled and tapped for scope mounts. But, it is drilled and tapped for a peep sight. But, I think my son will just use it the way it is w/ the conventional open sights.
    Thanks to everybody who suggested the .30-30 and the .35 Whelen. Those are good suggestions, but he wated a .35 Rem. like the one he used to have. It is a perfect gun for the hogs and deer we have down here.
    Jeepjeep, thanks for the well wishes. I told him what you said and he said to tell you thanks.
    cottontop

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Line of sight is too short w open sights. Go w peep sight. I've got one on my Marlin and replaced front sight w white post for low light. Minor investment, major improvement.

Personally, I don't like to scope a lever action rifle but lots of people do and successfully stock their freezers year after year.

16. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

35 marlin

I salute your son for his courage and unconditional service to his country, and i salute you also for being a good, proud of your son dad. I purchased my first marlin 35 in 1974, it was a great gun. I passed it on to my son and he brought it to a gun shop for some reason, and somehow they they lost it. They did give him another not as nice a newer model, but he loves the gun, and caliber. It's a little high, but not for your situation. I say buy it, and i wish you and your son the best.

17. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I'm glad he got the gun he wanted. It should do the job for him well and since he's a sniper, he won't need the glass! He may want the peep in the future and if he ever does want a scope, it can always be drilled and tapped. Good luck to you both.