Firearms Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful curly maple 336C in 30-30, but have only shot a few rounds through it. I got it out yesterday and cannot get rounds to feed. The reason is that the bolt is stopping at least an inch from the full rearward position, and so the new round's tip isn't even clearing the mag tube. I have not only field stripped it, but eventually took it all apart. Even with the lever gate, extractor, hammer and lift gate removed, it still stops dead at the same point. I have tried extra force, but it is not just excessive friction, it is hitting something. I can see nothing apparent sticking up in the way of the bolt. I also removed the scope mount, even though its screws did not appear to be in the way. The only time I can get the bolt all the way back is if the lever is removed. Perhaps there is a problem with the lever itself, the part that connects with the bolt?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? The Marlin website explains how Ruger bought them from Remington after their bankruptcy (yea), but says that they will not honor warranty on the Remington-era guns (boo), so I am on my own with this one.

·
Retired
13,591 Posts
It sounds like the lever is not seated correctly in the bolt.
It could be that the lever is bent.
First, get a copy of the user manual. https://www.marlinfirearms.com/assets/pdfs/manual_336_444_1895_20201222.pdf
This may help in understanding how things work.

Check the extractor. Look for wear marks on the bolt and extractor to see if it is hanging on something when the lever is actuated.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The only time I can get the bolt all the way back is if the lever is removed. Perhaps there is a problem with the lever itself,
Sounds like the lever is the issue.
Install the lever without the bolt in place to see if the lever then has greater movement. If it does then the problem is the interaction between bolt and lever.

Without the bolt in place if the lever does not have full movement then the lever is being stopped by something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like I have it fixed, although I haven't actually fired it yet. The firing pin was gunked up so tightly inside the bolt that it would not retract. This was partially blocking the lever slot in the bolt so it could not pivot all the way back. Now the pin is back and sliding OK, and the action appears to be working as expected.

Now why was it gunked up? I am not sure, as it was a new gun that I only fired a few rounds through. I do not remember what I used to clean it afterwards, but it was probably "Ed's Red" followed by QGC. That is what I generally use, and have never had an issue with other guns.

Thank you to those who responded. That 3D animation is very good and helpful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Worked on Marlins before and seen problems like yours. After seeing the very helpful/detailed video I can see why the Winchester has a better lockup/action and possibly why some marlins may stretch cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts