Marlin 336 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by psymmonds, Nov 30, 2012.

1. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Anybody have any personal experience with this rifle?

2. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

I have a buddy that has one, deadly accurate and reliable up to 150yds. I am actually thinking about getting one myself.

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

yup. my favorite rifle to this point. light, handy, beautiful.

changed out my sights which was the only thing i didn't like.

there have been some concerns since remington took over. not sure if they are legit or not though.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Owned many- even a original 36-
    VERY gud rifles-..........

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are a good rifle. Remington didn't take over niether. Both companies were bought by American Arms Group. Both companies started totally over on staffing.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

They are a fair rifle. Started making them as the model 1893 and evolved into the 336. What do you want to know? I've replaced many broken front firing pins in the 336. Thats the only weak part I know of and that was in 70's and 80's mostly.

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Not a bad rifle, but I prefer it in .35 Remington instead of 30-30.
    cottontop

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Second most popular deer rifle in the US, if that tells you anything. IMHO, a better design that the MOST popular, the Winchester 94 in 30-30. Not a long range target rifle, but a great hunting rifle at modest ranges.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've played with a few. Made some handloads up for some. Really enjoyed the 336 in .30-30.

[​IMG]

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes I have. I have killed pests, deer (out to 304 yards), and hogs with it.
    It is also a good defense weapon. Everyone should have a 'John Wayne' assault rifle in there inventory!;)

11. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Thanks to all for responding. I wanted to get a lever action rifle and saw a marlin 336 at the gun store. I like the way it felt, and the price. And going off the research I've done I should be able to get it cheaper then $500 (price at the store I went to). Now I'm really excited, and probably will be my next purchase

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Been killing deer with mine for many years.

13. allegreenlee

allegreenlee New Member

Your shoulder might hurt a little when your done shooting it.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I had one as a teenager! It was my second center fire high power rifle. And it was a great rifle. I would probably recommend finding an older model in great shape vs a new model. There is a lot of talk about them not being as good today as they were several years ago????? I do not know that for fact, since I have not had an occasion to shot, handle, or inspect one that was recently made. But from my experience it was a fine little rifle. It was a Marlin 336C in 30-30.

15. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

Great Gun!! I like the 35 Remington caliber also.

16. SSGN_Doc

The older ones are good solid rifles. If you look and find a use one with litle wear on it, you could save some money and still get a solid performing rifle. Some of the ones made a few years ago until recently have been of questionable quality.

The last few used ones I've scouted out for friends to buy were all bought for $350 or less. Each was made in the 1990s or earlier. All shoot very well.

17. SSGN_Doc

I played around with a red dot on a 1984 model that a friend bought and I dis some refinishing work on for him. It was pretty amazing how fast I could get hits at ranges inside of 100 yds compared to iron sights.

[​IMG]

18. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have one. It's a solid dependable, fun to shoot rifle.

[​IMG]

19. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Fun to shoot but your shoulder will hurt if you shoot it a lot and don't have a butt pad on the stock.

Ammo costs too much to use it for anything else than hunting.

20. SSGN_Doc

I don't find the .30-30 to be painful to shoot. Ammo is more pricey than some plinkers but handloading can help and its still cheaper than .308 or .30-06. And they are more punishing to shoot.