Marlin 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by freshmanbuilder, Dec 8, 2013.

1. freshmanbuilder

freshmanbuilder New Member

Just inherited my grandpas Marlin 30-30. It's got some rust on the barrel and I am unsure how long it has been since the last cleaning. I want to strip it and do a deep clean, but I don't know how to take it apart completely. I know how to take the lever, bolt and ejection pin out, but I have no clue on how to do the rest. I am also looking for suggestions on what products to use.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

3. freshmanbuilder

Lmao that won't happen. I was in the navy for 5 yrs. and I'll tell you it's nothing like when my dad was in. Thank you for the tip. What products do you suggest?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The standard powder solvent cleaner for ages has been Hoppes #9. If you have rusty spots on the exterior (barrel, receiver, etc) Go to the grocery store, housewares aisle. Buy a COPPER Chore-Boy pot scrubber. Wet the rusty area with a light oil, such as Remoil. Let soak for a few hours. Wet the Chore-boy with some additional oil, rub gently until rusty area is cleaned. Gun will take on a coppery color. Use a clean cotton cloth wet with a little more oil, rub- copper color comes off.

Routine maintenance? http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Centerfire.pdf

5. freshmanbuilder

Thank you very much. I'll be sure to post before and after pics.