Marlin 25N

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by priell3, Aug 13, 2013.

1. priell3

priell3 New Member

I have the chance of getting a 25N, free. I only have seen pics of it so far and it looks like the stock is in pretty good shape but the steel has lost most of the bluing and has some rust spots. I'm not even sure if it was ever fired and by the amount of dust on it, it appears to have sat untouched for a long time. I don't think it has any magazines with it and from what I've been told, it has been in the back of a closet for years.

I'm thinking of turning this into a project gun as I will have zero investment in it to start. My son loves shooting my Savage FV-SR and this could be his if he plays his cards right.

Here is a pic.

[​IMG] ]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. kaido

kaido New Member

Might jus be my motto, but if its free and your gonna use it, take it. It's better then having it sit around collecting dust in my mind.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Could be a fun project!

4. Laduckhunter

Laduckhunter New Member

I have a marlin 25n too! But I wanna say my safety and fire position is opposite from yours..... Ima have to go look at it when I get home

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I like mine. Its does great work of targets, chucks, and squirrels. You can find mags pretty easy online. Sounds like the perfect project

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

I've always been a fan of Marlin bolt action .22s,I've had a 25N for years and had a 25 as a kid ;).

8. godale

godale New Member

my first bolt action 22. grat shooter doesnt like remmy or winchester ammo. i use blazer,cci and federal bulk. try to get a pic up in a day or so. on road away from home

9. priell3

priell3 New Member

I picked up the rifle last night. My first impression was that while a bit dirty, it was in pretty good condition.

First thing I did was remove the bolt which didn't look too bad. That is a spot of white paint on the bolt handle.

[​IMG]

Mostly dust, minor rust inside:

[​IMG]

Next, I gave the bore a good scrubbing after which, it shined like a mirror with no obvious defects. The exposed parts of the barrel and action have lost most of the finish and one spot near the front sight it looks like it was scrubbed. Just a few minor rust spots with no pitting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The stock is solid with only a minor nick on the forend. The entire stock appears to have been varnished at some time in its life.

[​IMG]

Mechanically, everything is sound and functional. The action functioned smoothly after I cleaned and lubed everything.

I only had an hour to tinker with it but I got it cleaned and lubricated. My next step will be a range trip. After that I just have to decide how I want to restore the finish.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Durocoat.... give it a camo pattern.....looks like a great gun though

11. godale

godale New Member

heres mine. son took it to use in 2008. about a year ago i got it back. but not to to after i replaced it with a 980 ss from dicks

Attached Files:

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

get some Kano Kroil, some very, very fine steel wool and some soft cotton cloths. you might be suprised how well it looks with just cleaning up the metalwork with the Kroil. that stuff does wonders for the finish.

13. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Kroil is the absolute Tiiiiiits!! Good stuff I mix it 50/50 with Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought one for my little brother for his birthday when he was about 13. Bought him a decent 1" scope and rings for Christmas two weeks later. That thing was a tack driver. You could cut playing cards at 30 yards. He still has it and will pass it down to his son