Marlin 1895GBL

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JonM, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Picked up a marlin 1895GBL today. a good 45-70 has been on my short list for the last two decades. price was 620$ new. the GBL stands for guide big loop. the barrel is 18.5 inches capacity 6+1.

[​IMG]
    (pardon the finger prints i cleaned it up for the next pic)

ive read a lot about marlin being bought out by the company that owns remington and about cross bolt safeties and how rotten marlin guns are in fit.

ive check out a LOT of marlins in the last few weeks read a lot of opinions and it seems that those that dont own one hate them those that do love em. well i bought one. on first pass i dont see any apparent flaws in a gun at this price point.

the purpose of the gun is a good backup brush rifle for my trips to texas.

the finish is about what i expected for a utility gun. its not the best bluing job but its far better than the stuff generally being offered by remington winchester and others in the sub 1000$ range.

[​IMG]

a lot of talk has been done about cross bolt safeties on lever guns. below you can see the safety just below the hammer. while its not in the most accessable location it does have a huge benefit. the marlin version when activated acts as a very simple decocker. the trigger can be pulled and the hammer safely lowered on a live chamber with the safety on. the hammer can then be half-cocked and the safety turned off. i honestly do not see how this is in any possible fashion a negative feature.

[​IMG]

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the following two pics are the stock and foregrip. i love the coloration of the grain. the metal to wood fit is very very good and its very solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the action is very tight there is no looseness. trigger is decent seems very crisp if a bit on the heavy side but thats a good thing in a brush gun. im sure it will smooth out a bit with a little use. i like the big loop grip but im probably going to get a small loop for summer use.

the rear sight is a fold down plastic buckhorn leaf style. front sight is a very small bead with hood. both are mounted in dove tails. my only complaint atm is the front sight is hard for me to pick up. i think im going to try and find a fiber optic for the front and a metal replacement for the rear.

i also got 4 boxes of winchester 300grn hollowpoints and one box of hornady 325grain lever revolution ammo. the hornady revolution is a little hard to load while the flat tip winchester hp is very easy. i expect loading will get easier as the parts break in a bit.

the reason i bought some is everyone is sold out of 45-70 brass atm. so i just picked up 100 rounds of factory ammo.

range report to follow soon.

my impressions is the marlin 1895GBL is a very very nice rifle for the price range, especially in the powerful 45-70 chambering.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The safety thing is from purists and old timers(like me). Looks like a nice gun and the 45-70 is a great cartridge. I think it is going to buck and snort with that short barrel but you can get used to that. Looking forward to the range report.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

im a long time 458winmag shooter so im not recoil shy. but i agree its prolly gonna have a stiff muzzle blast. i love 45cal weapons pistols and rifles. im hoping this gun shoots as good as it looks and feels. the balance is really really good.

ive never owned a lever gun before so i can only give impressions from a total lever action nub

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Guide Gun with the straight stock. I really like mine. Even with the ported barrel, recoil is noticable. I installed a Pachmayer Decellerator pad (prefit) and it helped.

Maybe it is that I shoot a handload with 340 gr HARD cast bullet at 2100 fps! My load is a little warm, but have no pressure signs. Utility poles will not stop this bullet. I found a guy in evilbay that makes a nice ghost ring rear sight at a pretty reasonable price.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im gonna shoot it as is this weekend before i make any decisions. But im pretty certain i want a fiber optic front bead. Ill be loading for it when i finish off the factory loads.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! Marlin Lever 45/70's are some of my favorite rifles. Can I borrow it for a while? ;)

8. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

Wow I love that rifle. I nearly bought the exact same thing about two months ago but I ended up with a CZ 453 instead. Very nice looking, great size for carrying on an ATV, enough power for anything you might meet including a bigfoot ( ;) ), and a nice big lever for hands with gloves or big hands like mine. My main complaint with most lever actions is I can only get two fingers in the lever. Not with that baby. I want one, I want one!!!! :)

9. tCan

tCan Active Member

I can think of one. If the safety were to fail, you'd get an accidental discharge. Better to just let the hammer down gently in the conventional fasion.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just put the safety on and your then able to lower the hammer safely with your thumb. I dont see how its any different tho than a decocker on a pistol. Its hella safer to lower the hammer gently with the safety on then doing it with no safety bar...

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

Well I guess that's why I always manually drop the hammer. If the gun goes off doing it that way, it's completely my fault.

12. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Looks like a great gun, I wish the big lever version existed when I bought my 1895G.

I dont hunt, but I love the history of the .45-70 cartridge...and wether i'm at the range, or in the desert with friends, a short barrel .45-70 is a real crowd pleaser!

I love mine, so fun to shoot, and it'll stay in my aresenal because it would be a very useful rifle if i ever needed it. It generally comes along for camping trips and whatnot.
    [​IMG]

13. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

That's one gorgeous rifle, I'd love to get one for hunting moose. Always wondered how accurate those Marlin lever guns are, so I'm really looking forward to the range report.

14. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I'm not a very good shot, but at 100 yards with Hornady Leverevolution, 325gr balistic tip hollow points, I was able to keep 2" groups

Sorry to hijack from the original poster!

15. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Sounds like minute-of-a-moose easily, thanks!

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not a fan of stainless but thats a very pretty gun!!

im going out tomorrow instead of my normal saturday trip. gotta work saturday morning :(

17. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I was split between blued or stainless....i asked for them to give me the blued .45-70 and they said "that one is a .450 marlin"

That made my decision right there.

18. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Hey, look at the bright side, you get to try out your new toy sooner!

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah but im only gonna have 3 hours instead of all day :(

20. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Well that sucks :(