Markwell Arms sear spring

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by njjohnson, May 10, 2010.

1. njjohnson

njjohnson New Member

Hey guys, I was given a Markwell Arms muzzleloader rifle in .45 this weekend. I was going through the lock and cleaning all the parts and smoothing up all the functional surfaces when I broke the sear spring during reassembly. Where in the world can I find another one? There's not much of a return if you Google Markwell Arms.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Try Dixie Gun Works.

3. njjohnson

njjohnson New Member

Thanks shooter, but that was the first place I looked. Is it possible that some springs are semi-interchangeable?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, did not mean to give you a snappy response, was suddenly pushed for time here. Yes, many are interchangeable, shapeable, fileable, etc. Assume this may be a leaf style spring found in many muzzleloader locks? If you can find a real honest to God gunsmith, he should be able to replace the spring for you- especially if you have the pieces of the old one. Bending and tempering springs is a "stock in trade" thing for a smith. Not a parts replacer, but a smith. There is a difference. You may not find a "drop in" made for your brand, but If you can check with Dixie, bet they can find you one that is close enough to be fitted. "Track of the Wolf" is another muzzlelaoder source worth checking.

5. njjohnson

njjohnson New Member

No need to apologize. Yes it is a leaf-style spring. Actually, I was able to make another spring from scrap sheet metal I found in the shop. It's not good as new but at least I'm up and shooting now. Although, I'll definitely need to find a better replacement before hunting season this fall.