Markings on M44

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by dragunovsks, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Does anyone know of a website where I can research some Marking on the reciever of my Mosin Nagant M44? I know it was manufactured at the "Izhevsk" arsenal but there are 3 other markings on the reciever behind the rear sight. They are a "Y", backwards "K" and a "C" all with circles around them.

2. AimHigh

AimHigh New Member

You can go to: 7.62x54r.net for just about anything to do with Mosins. -AimHigh

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thanks Aimhigh, I checked it out and found some interesting stuff.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Which raises the question, is there a difference, quality wise, between Tula and Izhevsk Arsenals?

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Uh, I don't know Benning, I'll find out and let you know but I don't think there is. I think the ones made at Tula are worth more because they turned out less.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Hey Benning, did you know that some Mosin-Nagant rifles were made right here in the US of A by Remington in 1917? I guess the Ruskies couldn't turn em' out fast enough and asked for our help.

7. Laufer

Laufer New Member

DragunovSKS:

If you want even more info, the guys with bad, long-term cases of 'mosinitis' are always at Gunandgame, MN forum.
    They compare lots of facts on various series.
    All are friendly and glad to help.

I plinked with one of them in January. My 20-yr. old son was there and was his first chance to shoot a rifle (since age 5).
    Some first day! From a .22 to Mini 30, MN 91/30, AR, actual German G-3, owned by a youngish guy who trained with them in the German Wehrmacht.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Was completely unaware of this. How were they marked?

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

They say Remington on the barrel shank. Not trying to be a smart-a**:D

10. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Dragunovsks:
    The article about US-made MNs was in the NRA magazine a few months ago.
    They even had Cossack inspectors in our factories.

When the Bolshevik Revolution took place, production almost stopped and we had troops over there.
    Some of our guys even got in a firefight with some of them.

Do Gander Mt stores up there still sell any MNs?
    Curious (already have two nice 44s), because the store in Evansville had several in August, both 44s and 91/30, as did the store in Jackson, TN-but no longer. The store in Evansville boosted the intro price directly from $99 to $149, which indicates that their marketing might not be so bright, but I could easily be wrong.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Story was (don't know if true, but likely) one Russian inspector would cock rifle, slam butt on floor to see if it would drop off the sear and fire. Workers got tired of this guy slaming a rifle into the shop floor, so they made up one rifle with a hair trigger, loaded it with a blank cartridge, and waited. Inspector had to go change his shorts.:D

12. karlsgunbunker

karlsgunbunker New Member

Remington, Westinghouse and the French all made Model 1891's.

13. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

The "Izhevsk" are more "favorable" to a collector as that arsenal produced far fewer guns to the "Tula" arsenal.

As far as your markings are concerned:

Y=USSR (Black powder proof mark; replaced II (russian N looking letter, sorry don't have a russian text on here:)), probably during WWII)

K=is probably a Russian or USSR "Point of Aim" Proof

C=Could mean a French marked part but also Russian or Romanian marked Part