Market for a Steel Frame Beretta 92F

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by KAG, Jun 21, 2011.

1. KAG

KAG New Member

I was wondering what the demand would be for an aftermarket frame made from 4140 steel to replace the aluminum frame of the Beretta 92F. Please share your thoughts and what you think would be a reasonable MSRP.

I made a couple for myself and I really love it. Its a little bit heavier but just by ~2.5 lbs and I can get back on target faster.

TIA

KAG

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

2.5 lbs heavier than a standard Beretta 92F? Dude, that's like adding a 1911 to the weight of the already heavy 92F...:eek:

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So? You want to make a Steel Frame for the 92F? :eek:

I would set my sights a little lower, or lighter in this case, for something other than STEEL.

I owned an original Beretta 92F. We bought one shortly after watching\
    Lethal Weapon 1 way back before the military was interested in them. My old man "gifted it" to me and I shot it for several years before selling it off.

I have to say NO to the idea of a stainless, or bulk, steel frame, but if you can find something stronger than the aluminum that is lighter than steel, you will have a monster seller on your hands.

Good luck.

JD

4. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

You could make it out of Titanium. It's light AND strong AND it's rare enough that people would pay a premium for it. The biggest problem is price and machining.

5. KAG

KAG New Member

Machining difficulty of Titanium plus the high complexity of the 92f/fs frame....... that makes me want to cry.... haha

I will see what I can do.

Thanks for all the responses, and any more input would be great.

What about replacement frames from 7075-T6 Alum?

6. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I think the biggest question is: Did you REALLY mean 2.5 POUNDS?? The entire gun used to weigh 32/34oz. 2.5 pounds means an extra 40 ounces. Did you maybe mean 2.5lbs all-up weight?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe competitive shooters could use an all-steel model to strengthen relevant muscles during extended practice shoots. I would think extended practice would be when most of the wear on the OEM frames would occur; this could be prevented by using the heavier steel frame just for practice while retaining the light-weight OEM frame for competition. Similar idea to those donut weights for baseball bats.

That sounds like a fairly limited market though. Of course, CZ sells enough of their "kadet kits" for practice plinking to keep making them, so...

8. KAG

KAG New Member

Ill re weigh it. I thought it was 2.5lbs more, but thinking about it that doesnt not seem right.

I picked up a 2.5lb lifting weight and it does not weight that much more. My guess is 1lb but I dont have a scale to weight the frame at home. Ill weight it on monday

9. m72law

m72law New Member

i have a 96 .40cal . it weighs a lil more than the 92,maybe?might be a lil more snappier then the 92 in 9mm,but i can hit anything i point it at;)

a heavier pistol might be a good thing for recoil,unless your just very weak...9mm's dont bite/kick that hard in recoil.kinda like a 1911 in 9mm?

i thought of the same thing....making an all steel frame/slide out of those pop metal pistols like the jennings;now cobra arms...lorcin:now ????.there isnt any complex machining involved,being its a blowback design & the trigger group could be made with any scrap iron,using a die grinder,sharpie,vise:D

if you have the right mill & can think it....:cool:

a good starting price...to me $200.00USD

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  10. KAG

KAG New Member

Thanks for the input!

It takes my machine 30 min to make an ar15 lower out of a forging. However, I dont have a monster Haas like most folks and it took me a total of 32 machine hours to make the one frame.

If you tear the gun down there is a very complex pocket in the back where hammer and D-Spring goes. That makes it pretty complicated. I know beretta uses (used) CNC and manual milling and broaching operations back in the 80's 90's.

Also, all the slides I have seen are made from steel.

My thought was that the steel frame would allow a longer life for the pistol while maintaining accuracy (for the competitive shooter who puts many more rounds through a gun than most folks). My retail to break-even would have to be set at ~$700 with a lifetime warranty. Dealer would get a discount on buys of 8 or more. (~$500).

This is not in stone but I really want to do this. Ill post pics and an accurate weight when I can later this week.

Thanks, and keep the replies coming!

KAG

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i take it your licensed to manufacture firearms for sale??

how bout some pics!!

12. KAG

KAG New Member

Yes sir! Type 07FFL

Pics....why would anyone want pics.....???? HAHA JK

Ill get some that do it justice, better than my iphone 2g at least.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not a huge berreta fan my da pref lies in the sig220 my only complaint with the 220 is the huge muzzle flip due to its lightweight. as i empty the mag it gets more and more unbalanced. thats primarily the reason i gave 1911s a second go. shot a lot of m9 and m1911a1 in the army expert with both but it was always much more work to get expert with the m9 than the 1911.

never knew when the m9 frame would fail. i was never comfy carrying that pos 92f as my duty weapon. a steel frame one does sound interesting especially a blued no rail version.

personally i would be more interested in a complete gun as i dont currently own a 92 but i did like the ergonomics of my old taurus 99af that i seriously regret selling.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  14. m72law

m72law New Member

i could see the ''locking blocks'' in the berreta selling faster & more of....shouldnt be to bad to machine,if price was decent.i notice this part is drying up and being its the weak link in the berreta,i think they would sell like hot cakes:)....just a thought?

15. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I would be interested a Frame in which the safety was mounted on the frame!

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO the Beretta 92/96 hey day has long since passed. There are big fans, but they are getting harder to find.

I agree the locking blocks are the weak link. The old Walther design (from the P-38) can be prone to stress fractures. I do not know what grade of steel/temper level would be necessry for replacement parts.

17. KAG

KAG New Member

Okay my Beretta made aluminum frame weights ~.39 lbs. My steel frame weighs ~1.1 lbs.

So not quite the 2.5lbs I estimated...haha

What type of failures are y'all seeing with the locking block? Any one know what material it is made of?

Thanks for all the input!

KAG

18. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

That sounds WAY more reasonable as well as very advantageous in a competitive situation. If I had a 92FS/M9 and shot competetively....I'd be sending you a PM for info on purchasing a steel frame.

19. KAG

KAG New Member

Im gonna make a few when I have some free machine time.

I looked up some data on the locking blocks also, super simple. Im gonna make some and heat treat them. Ill put a 1000+ rounds down range with one before I sell it.

What happens when a locking breaks while firing?

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Not good things. according to this source:
    The True Story of the Beretta M9 Pistol

That is about what i've read elsewhere. I'm thinking that could cause a wee flinch to develop.