Mark lll jamming

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Wildcat54, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Wildcat54

Wildcat54 New Member

Having problems with jams. I'm using CCI 40 grain bullets I've also used.Federation 40 graiin also. Any suggestions?

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Are you tapping back on the magazine before inserting? That helps

3. Wildcat54

Wildcat54 New Member

U mean tapping the back side of magazine? I'll make an extra effort in this.

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

A few questions:
    When was the last time you cleaned the spring? Have you ever cleaned the magazine or the bolt? When was the last time you DIDNT have an issue?
    When is the jam occurring?

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If your pistol is new I would try tapping the magazine. If tapping the magazine doesn't work, I would send the gun back to Ruger. Ruger will send a prepaid shipping label in the the first 90 days or so of ownership. After that it's up to you to pay for shipping. I have seen ammo affect the accuracy of a mark III but I never seen ammo affect the reliability of a ruger, especially CCI mini mag ammo.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

are your magazines OEM or aftermarket? many Rugers are sensitive to the quality of the mags and don't want to work properly with the aftermarket mags.

try out different ammo as well. many rimfires are ammo sensitive.

is the gun new or used? if used, maybe a good thorough cleaning and oiling. new, contact Ruger with your issues and see what they have to say. might need to go back and have it looked at by them.

7. Wildcat54

Wildcat54 New Member

The pistol is new maybe 250 rounds spent. It has jammed since the beginning. No I haven't taken it apart yet but clean it every time I shot. Maybe back to Ruger is the right advice. I'll call them Monday morning. TY

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I'll take it for granted you have NOT decided to change/add/modify the gun in any way, shape or form. Then send it back to Ruger and let them play w it for awhile. First n foremost, make sure your gun functions. 22's are notorious for being finicky about ammo.

How finicky ? Think Teenagers - some resemble teenage boys and eat everything while others are like teenage girls...(draw your own conclusions)

Step II - Accurize. (it's your right to chase after that fraction of an inch you probably could never achieve on your best day.) :D.

I w then remove all the BS safety stuff they added. (Triggers don't need help being bad) Change out the trigger or add Volquartzen acc kit. sear, hammer etc. - Your done.

Bottom line: Platform is more accurate than 90% of the people pulling the trigger. (Rugers are not known for good triggers - why VQ sells so many of them.) ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  9. Axxe55

i would try some different ammo. i agree that some 22's can be very picky about what they like to shoot, and some seem to work fine with whatever they are fed.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My Mark II shoots anything I feed it. Never had a problem.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For the sake of this issue, please define "clean" in this context. Have you pulled the bolt assembly out, disassembled it and given it a once over? I seem to recall my MKIII being somewhat gummy with the anti corrosion goop that they ship them with from the factory. FWIW, that stuff is not proper gun lube and I could see it gumming things up enough to cause issues. I ended up having to detail strip mine and toss everything in a parts washer to get all of it out.

Aside from that, I can say that CCI is my preferred brand, for the simple reason that it cycles everything and shoots accurately for me. The only feed issues I've ever had were the result of me failing to keep the mags adequately clean. My oversights aside, my MKIII has been excellent from a reliability standpoint otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  12. Axxe55

so far mine as well. i can't say mine shoots every brand of 22 ammo available, but mine has shot everything i have bought and used so far with no problems.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Anyone else using VQ grips ? (Wood or rubber).

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I forget, MK II or III ?

16. Axxe55

Winds has a Mk II.

i have a Mk III 22/45 Target Model.

17. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Mine has recently started to jam when the bolt closes, it doesn't strip the next bullet and stays half ways open. I have to take the mag out and point the nose of the top round so it is pointing up more, than it will load fine. At times this happens with the first bullet and other times one in the middle of the mag. I clean my guns after every 2 trips to the range, and have cleaned the mags, but not as often. I have maybe 3-4 thousand rounds through it and was starting to think the mage were getting old. Right now I am just going to buy 1 new mag an see how it works. The jams were usually Remingtom golden bullet. Other wise I shot a lot of different brands with out any problems.

Ken

18. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Exactly as I was thinking. What kind of jams - double feed, failure to extract, or-? The magazine design is not the strongest feature of this pistol. The rounds can dislodge and feed at a bad angle. Ever noticed one tipping up? Also the follower can bind up when the mag channel is dinged or warped (not even visible to the naked eye) See if your jams occur at a particular round count on the mag.

19. vansteen13

vansteen13 New Member

I have a Mark III and feeds just fine also. What I do is make sure all the rounds are seated well in the original factory magazines. I also polished the feed ramp with some metal polish (usually Flitz). I also will lubricate the bolt with a very thin coat of Mobile One synthetic motor oil (use a Q tip). You will notice the difference with how smooth the bolt moves back and forth once applied.

Make sure the barrel is cleaned. Lead rounds tend to foul up the cycling process if shot a lot.

Just my experiences. For what it's worth.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. vansteen13

vansteen13 New Member

If you are going to be shooting a lot of rounds, you might want to run a bore snake through the barrel also.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk