Marines vs army?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I'm looking to join one in a few years. What are the differences as far as training,benefits,pay,the people your around, skills they teach you etc? Which one usually has more casualties? Which one would be more "enjoyable" ?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Training: Marines training is generally considered tougher, but more available options in the Army. The first difference is Basic Training. The USMC Basic Training is approximately three months. Not sure what the Army's is, but the only one that comes close in duration is the Coast Guard, who's may actually be slightly longer.
    Benefits: Same.
    Pay: Same.
    People: I'm a Marine. Marines are for life. Marine brothers are for life. I can't speak for the Army on this one.
    Skills: depends on your job field. Each branch excels in different fields, and in many cases, cross training (not crossdressing) is available. Meaning, the Army trains some Marines in some cases, and the Marine Corps trains some soldiers in some cases.
    Casualties: In this area, the Army has the Marine Corps beat, severely. Different training, different deployment rotations, and hugely different numbers and mission. The Army takes way more casualties.

If I could do it all over again, I would still be a Marine. Side note: The Marine Corps, last time I heard, also had the highest divorce, suicide, and alcoholism rates.

3. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The USCG is the most enjoyable. You can do rescues or drug interdiction.

The USAF is in second place. Very smart people, very easy job, mostly indoors or like working at an airport.

The US Army is in 3rd place. You can have fun in boot camp, get into shape, and learn to take orders. The job is like Boy Scouts.

The US Navy is in 4th place. You are stuck out on a boat for a long period of time, then back to shore for a little while, then more sea duty.

If you were cut out for the USMC then you would already know it. These are the phoney tought or the crazy brave. I doubt you are either, or you would not be asking about benefits. There is nothing fun about the USMC. It is all pain and no pleasure. Before very long you will ask yourself why you picked it. Then you will probably switch to one of the others. More marines switch out of the corps and into another service than any other branch personnel do. Clue.

The pay is all about the same in all of them, very little difference.

If you are good at the work, you can stay 20 to 30 years and make master chief / sergeant major, or warrant officer.

If you go to college you can start out as a lieutenant, and work your way up to major or colonel. For general or admiral you would first need to go to one of their academies.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Also, there is a certain amount of Pride in being a Marine, that just doesn't seem to be quite the same with other branches. Yeah, they all give us proud veterans, but Marines just seem to be a different breed.

We're arrogant *******s. Mostly because we know we're the best. ;)

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Navy SEALs beat the USMC at everything.

Next in line as the badazzes are the USMC infantry recon.

Then the Army green berets and rangers.

Then the ordinary marines.

And so forth.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

All I know is what I’ve read, which is:

Whatever else Marines may do, they are ALL riflemen (riflepersons?) first, last, and always. Basically, they shoot first, keep the books balanced second. It’s the other way around in the other services. I don’t even think Navy & Air Force accountants even see a gun. Marines are few in number relatively speaking. They aren't even enough of them to require their own General (Admiral?). They are used ‘tactically’. Unless there is an outbreak of world peace, you WILL go to a combat area if you join the Marines Corp. You may or may not as a member of the other services. If you join the Army, you may be sent to a combat area, OR you may become part of the trip wire in South Korea or be stationed in the back 40 in Europe or somewhere.

(I had a friend in the Air Force who spent Vietnam babysitting an ICBM in Nebraska. He worked four days on & four days off. He could have/would have killed ten times the total number of ALL Vietnam War casualties if a launch order was received)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I believe your thinking "secretary".
    We have generals. General Mattis is on par with Mars himself.

But we have no "secretary". We have a commandant who answers to the secretary of the Navy. We are under the department of the navy. The men's department.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I just looked it up. I had thought Brigadier General was as high as it went. When did you guys get a four star? In any event, I stand corrected.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

training: USMC. thats all we do go to war. or train for war.
    USMC bootcamp is 13 weeks. army is 10 weeks. airforce 8, navy 9 and coastgaurd 8.

you'll get better civilian job skills in the coast guard or airforce.

navy, army and MARINES tend to be slightly more fighting related for most MOS's

pay and benefits are about the same.

Marines wear the best uniforms!
    Marines deal with the most SH!t.

really it depends what you make of your time with whatever branch you choose... make the best of your service. take adavantage of the gym's, the food, the barracks even the training, or college courses.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Air Force ranks slow.

Navy/Army rank rather quickly

I don't know enough about the Marines other than I'm glad we have them and I'm glad I am not one.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Elanor Roosevelt described the Marines as well as anyone could.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."

---Eleanor Roosevelt
    Quantico,VA 1945

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you like to fight go marines. If you want the money go someplace else. I AM a Marine. The advice all the others, except shoobee that is, gave you is correct. Shoobee is wrong bc NO Marine is wannabe tough or foolishly brave.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think we've had 4 star generals (or their equivalent) since our inception but I'm not sure.

15. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Are you freaking crazy?
    If the answer to that question is yes, join the Marine Corps. :)
    I can't tell you the differences but I know I have quite a few friends who are marines and it's something they wouldn't change.
    Either way, you have my respect.

16. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Guys remember I'm only 14. So it's foolish to say I'm not cut out for either one. I have friends that want to join with me. Do they still do a buddy program? Who does more fighting? If its the marines than why does the army have more casualties?

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Damn straight we wont change it-its what made us who we are today

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yea they still do the buddy program. They will put you both in the same platoon if you so choose. As to why the army has more casualties-there is ALOT more of them than us. As in like 5-1 for our 2,000 Marines. They also spend ALOT more time in places than Marines. Yes we see more SHYT than any other branch except spec ops

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

As an Army Infantry Vet I can tell you I have a Great Deal of respect for anyone who serves regardless of there chosen branch/MOS.

As far as the differences between the Army and Marine Corps...I can give you a very clear picture with the following true story.

Two grunts, one a Soldier and one a Marine both enter the restroom and proceed to use the urinals.

Upon completing the missing both proceed to the lav where the Marine begins scrubbing his hands in a vigorous military manner while the Soldier simply checks his hair and turns for the door.

The Marine shouts, "hey Soldier! In the Corps, they teach us to wash our hands after using the Latrine". The Soldiers replys calmly, "well Marine, In the Army they teach us not to pee on our fingers." ;)

Tack

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

That isn't funny:( ;) actually it is since most army grunts have to shove a finger up their exit amd yell snake to even FIND it;) sorry Tack I couldn't resist:p thanks for your service sir.....even if you did join the glorified boy scouts;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.