1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Very nice to see them buying American again.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hoorah!!!!!

I just bought a Colt Rail Gun, blackened. This makes me want to modify it into a USMC M45 clone.

It’s been called the greatest handgun ever made, and it has barely changed sine 1911, when the legendary John Browning designed it especially for the U.S. Military.

And now, the Colt .45 M1911 is making a big comeback, now that the U.S. Marines have placed a $22.5 million order for the Connecticut-made pistols.

The gun, which has been wielded on film by John Wayne and in real life by Sgt. Alvin York and Maj. Audie Murphy, was the standard-issue sidearm in the military for decades, until it was replaced by the Beretta M9 in 1985.

"It just became an iconic part of military and American history."
- Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense

"It just became an iconic part of military and American history," Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense, told FoxNews.com.

The gun, one of the most successful pistols ever used at Camp Perry's National Matches, a competition known to be the main world event in artillery sports, has barely changed since it's creation. Dinkel says that shows the gun's "elegant design" just can't be improved on. And firearms experts agree.

"You can’t beat a .45 cartridge," Jack Lewis, firearms director for Cowan's Auctions, told FoxNews.com. "Some things are hard to replace," he said.

Colt Defense, based in Hartford, Conn., will supply as many as 12,000 of the 200,000 U.S. Marines with semi-automatic, tan-colored M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, and they will include spare parts and logistical support. The gun has long been the weapon of choice for special operations agents, thanks to its reliability and the stopping power of its massive bullets.

"I'm really glad that they're keeping it in the American economy," Lewis, who used the gun while he was in the armed forces, said. "I was quite upset when they went to the Beretta," Lewis said.

Some reports suggest Marines are not happy with their main Beretta M9s for their lack of accuracy and stopping power. With M1911's now supplying Special Ops, growing interest may lead to a better solution.

"To have the 1911 selected again for U. S. Forces 101 years after its initial introduction is just an incredible testament to the timeless design and effectiveness of the Colt 1911," Dinkel said. "This is truly a gratifying contract award."

Attachments

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
cuba said:
Does you Colt Rail Gun have a double action spring assembly like the one on the M45 ?

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
I'd like to see support for this statement. I've read two articles so far, and haven't seen anything about this.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Why didn't I think of this before??

Oh yea, we did in 1911! ;)

·
Banned
18,636 Posts

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
What was the price per unit again?? :eek::eek:

At least the Devil Dogs, some of the best fighters on the planet, are getting one of the best pistols available for their defense. *tips hat*

JD
HOLY SH!T, JD head nodding a Colt.

As hard as it seams JD, you've just moved up a notch or two on my Respect-O-Meter!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
seems a little ostentatious for the Marines, no? :confused:

:p

Attachments

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
dog2000tj said:
seems a little ostentatious for the Marines, no? :confused:

:p
Lol, how so? Nothing wrong with looking good while your bringing death, destruction, and damnation on your enemies!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't see it. Maybe I'm blind, I'll look again. It doesn't look like it would have nearly a long enough trigger pull to be DA/SA.

The only thing I saw after reading that twice that could possibly be taken that way, was that it has a dual recoil spring.
The recoil spring as you call it is actually called an action spring by JMB because its primary purpose is to ready a round to action.

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
Fine, wuteva. Last I checked, JMB was dead and vernacular changes quite a bit over the course of 100 years.

I would think that calling it a "double action" spring would reasonably be expected to cause a little confusion today, considering common usage of the term "action" when regarding the 1911.

So sorry I got confused.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
HOLY SH!T, JD head nodding a Colt.

As hard as it seams JD, you've just moved up a notch or two on my Respect-O-Meter!
Hey Man. :eek:

Just because I wouldn't personally buy one of those headache-out-of-a-box pistols doesn't mean I don't want our troops to have quality kit. :cool:

This is a well built pistol, with modern features and proven reliability. I would be first in line to ***** if they chose any weapon system that did not offer the criteria and battlefield pedigree of this Colt to protect them. *respect*

Thanks for the props. ;)

JD

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fine, wuteva. Last I checked, JMB was dead and vernacular changes quite a bit over the course of 100 years.

I would think that calling it a "double action" spring would reasonably be expected to cause a little confusion today, considering common usage of the term "action" when regarding the 1911.

So sorry I got confused.
Agree, "dual action" would have been less confusing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts