Marines Choose New Close Quarter Battle Pistol (CQBP)

Discussion in 'Blog Forum' started by christophereger, Jul 23, 2012.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Christopher, I stand corrected. Thank you. But the 1911 is still a very interesting, very fun to shoot, very obsolete, piece of history.

bluez likes this.
  2. christophereger

christophereger New Member

Loc, I have to admit, it would appear that the MARSOC would be better served by a double-stacked high-capacity designed sidearm. I have owned and shot several 1911 variants do feel that it's magazine capacity is a handicap

3. docholliday29

docholliday29 New Member

I simply like my ability to point and shoot fairly accurately with my 1911 pistols. Other than 1911s, I own/have owned Sig P220, Sig P238, Sig P938, Taurus model 66 .357 Magnum, Keltec p-11, p 3at, Kahr PM 45, Kahr PM 9.

4. thatguy216

thatguy216 New Member

I was issued a m9, and to me it felt like a underpowered brick. Ther are by far better choices if they were to stick with a 9mm. That being said i have always been more of a 45 advocate. I am not a 1911 fanboy and believe that yes, they may be good pistols, but they are to finicky for combat and are outdated in design. Like others stated, a glock 21 would be a better and by far cheaper choice, as well as an m&p or fnh 45. Throw on some cercoat finish and poof, problem solved! All also have more capacity, are proven reliable, and can be abused and still function.full size models are just as accurate, and in combat, why do you want a "tuned" trigger. I would rahter have a constant double action 5-6 lb pull. Now the transition from 9mm to 45, that is a debate in itself, but rounds being same design, hardball fmj rounds, both have overpenetreation but... the 45 makes a bigger hole!

5. hybridfiat

hybridfiat New Member

Well well, the great .45 ACP (inspired by the .455 Webley) is coming back. Proof that the Brits knew what they were doing when they developed a cartridge. One shot one kill. Whats the point of a gun if when you have to use it, it is inadequate to the task. The British had the old fashioned notion that if you could connect just once with the target and it knocked them down, that was enough. Never mind the high cap mags and bullets sprayed all over the countryside. Good on the marines and more power to them. Now, on to getting rid of that piece of s%$t the 5.56x45 NATO that the US saddled us with. Sorry but the .276 British was a cartridge destined to go down as the future of modern weaponry.

6. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Pistol rounds are not reliable stoppers and can't knock people down .

locutus likes this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a zombie thread started in 2012. Will someone drive a stake through it?

kfox75, Dallas53, AZdave and 2 others like this.
  8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The Marines are manly men, they need a manly gun. :)

9. Danoobie

Danoobie Active Member

It would seem, at least they make it appear, as though the rank and file,
    down-in-the-dirt front lines Marines are clamoring for the 1911. Now, I
    think the 1911 platform is mondo-cool, it's admittedly a personal favorite;
    but I have a double stack
    FNX-45 that can out shoot the 1911 more by accident than on purpose.
    It's insanely reliable, fresh out of the box, and has yet to choke on any of a wide
    variety of HP or FMJ ammo. You can get the Tac version for 600$ less than
    the new military contract 1911, and it has a threaded barrel. The standard version is 300$
    less than that. And there are a few other double stack 45s on the market
    with many advocates, also.

So one does have to wonder if this is some sort of bogus gesture, on behalf
    of Marine procurement, because there are a couple of better performers
    out there which are also less expensive, in 45ACP.

10. AZdave

AZdave Active Member

Yeah but the "manly" marines don't want a rubber, erh polymer, gun. They want to able to use the steel frames in 2111.

11. Danoobie

Danoobie Active Member

Yeah, there's a large book. " Things Marines thought were icky that command
    cared about." What's their excuse with Sig and HK?

locutus likes this.
  12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Dead thread. Question already decided. Let it rest.:rolleyes:

AZdave and Dallas53 like this.