Marine Corps adopts Detonics MTX 1911 for shooting team

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by melensdad, Jan 23, 2012.

1. melensdad

melensdad New Member

Just got wind that the US Marine Corps competition shooting team has chosen their new pistol. Its the 5" Detonics MTX 1911 pistol. The team has been testing the guns and now have placed their orders. New guns will be produced and should be in use by March of this year.

[​IMG]

Rumors are that other units are now looking at/testing the Detonics MTX 1911 for their teams.

Interesting development for a small company that could launch them into the big leagues in terms of production!

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats a badass looking SOB!

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is going to sound like sacrilege coming from me ;) but what were they using before? Yes, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know, all I know is that its a 1911, I don't know the make and model. I've always assumed it was a GCT customized out the ***...

4. melensdad

melensdad New Member

Honestly I have no clue. I'd guess a Kimber or one of the semi-custom guns like Les Baer, Wilson, etc.

5. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

What is that Detonics going to run?

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I looked them up one time but I can't remember the prices. They weren't as much as I thought they would be though. Just try googling them.

7. melensdad

melensdad New Member

I paid $1500 for a compact. I don't know if the full size is the same price but I presume it will be. I also don't know if the shooting team model is the same as the standard full size or if it is a modified gun? If its modified that I presume it could cost a bit more.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dont know either :eek:
    SEMPER FI

9. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Back around '98/'99 I had an opportunity to see them at the range in Quantico. They were shoobvious hat for all the world appeared to be a modded HK Mk.23 model 0. Don't know if they changed along the way before this new announcement. I think the spec ops guys still use the Mk.23.

10. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

Had one of the first small .45s happy to say it's gone today.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Really? The only other review I've heard of their new stuff was excellent.

12. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

It was around 20 years ago, no shooting problems, I just did not like it. I also had a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 no shooting problems. it just broke off the tip of ejector's.
    I feel anything under a 4" for a 1911 .45 type is not what I want.:)

13. melensdad

melensdad New Member

I just spoke with one of the shooting team members, its the MOTO 3 Gun Team that is adopting this gun.