Mare's leg

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kmglocks, Jul 1, 2012.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

I love the look and idea of it though it has no use other than fun! Your experiences? I am on the fence about buying one.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sort of like a little redhead secetary I once met- never learned how to type.

Looks like fun- but pretty useless.:D

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Too bad for you, I can think of lots of uses for a pretty little redhead ;)

4. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Have you fired one?

5. billt

billt New Member

I'm seeing these things everywhere lately. I can't imagine actually firing one. How would you hold it? It's not a rifle, and it's not a pistol. Other than buying one "just to have", I don't know what you would do with it. Unless you were trying to emulate Josh Randolph on "Wanted Dead Or Alive".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUROZEmC1WQ[/ame]

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

From what little I have seen, the sights are far enough forward that a smaller shooter can actually shoulder it. SBR without the stamp, assuming you have short arms anyway.

7. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Like I said, it's of no use other than fun.

8. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

rossi ranch hand

i have a rossi ranch hand in 357/38. and i will admit the main use for this gun is to shoot it and look cool.......:D

i have, however, been surprised by the accuracy, which is as good as any pistol i have owned (y'all know it is technically a pistol, right?)

as for shooting it....if you want accuracy, the only way is to hold it like a rifle without using your shoulder. in other words, get a cheek weld on the side of the stock, to look look down the sights....it is very accurate when fired this way....but it looks much cooler to fire from the hip! :p

uses....it could make a very compact truck, rv, or backpack gun.

but mostly, its just a lot of fun. imo, any gun not used for hunting or carry (leo, military, conceal), is a gun just for fun anyway. if you're just punching paper or shooting cans with a gun....the mare's leg is as good as any other gun.....and probably cooler :cool:

i did a review on mine in the general handgun forum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

this useless gun made a big resurgence in the last year or so following it airing as a major bit on the sons of guns show on one episode. since then its all over the place.

if you like it fine, nothing wrong with that. i just think its a useless concept

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

It was on American Guns too!!:)

11. hawkguy

that is an understandable viewpoint, but i disagree. imo, if someone uses an AR-15 (or any other gun) for nothing more than paper punching or plinking, how "useful" or "practical" is it?

i think it can be about as useful as any other lever rifle in the same caliber, although it is limited by barrel length...which could be an advantage or disadvantage...depending on use.

i still say it makes a fine little truck/rv/backpack gun. mine is a very decent shooter. have you ever gotten to shoot one?

and imo, any gun that brings a :) to my face is not useless.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have seen them at several gun stores. My interest lasted about a minute. I cant see trying to shoulder something with half a stock. And if I want a pistol then I will use a pistol. It looks to me that they were going for the best of both worlds but found neither.

13. c3shooter

Yes, have shot one (briefly) Gent at the range loaned his to me for a few shots. Reminded me a bit of some military survival rifles with very short barrels. Could maybe see one if storage space was critical (light airplane).

History trivia- the orignal Mare's Laig got the TV show in trouble with the ATF- seems they made a SBR without touching second base. WHOOPS! And, if you ever watch the show, his rifle- a 44-40, but ammo in his belt loops- 45-70 (looked much cooler)

14. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

If you could get one in a rifle caliber, wouldn't it make a good home defense weapon?

Short and easy to move around corners but with a rifles stopping power.

15. hawkguy

i think the only way they get around the atf, is that these are manufactured as pistols. if it was in a rifle caliber, it would be considered a SBR. the current mare's legs are classified and manufactured as pistols, thus legal. at least this is my understanding of this logical law.....:confused:

and even though i am somewhat defending the mare's leg's usefulness as a firearm, it would be pretty low on my list for home defense. it would do the job, just not the best choice imo.

16. c3shooter

Hawk- you are correct. The HollyWeird folks butchered a couple of Winchesters, making them SBRs. The current crop of guns are made AS pistols, and do not fall under the NFA.

And please note that the "rifle caliber" of the Mare's Leg guns are things like 45 Colt, 44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, etc.

17. Win73

Win73 New Member

Steve McQueen's character's name was Randall (not sure if I spelled it right) not Randolph.

18. Rick1967

It is not the round that makes a rifle a rifle. It is the stock. I own a Thompson Contender that is a handgun but shoots rifle calibers. There is also the BFR revolver that shoots a 45-70. Heck I have even seen a Derringer that shoots a 45-70.

19. Rick1967

We have some strange laws when it comes to rifles and pistols. If you purchase a Contender as a pistol you can use it as a rifle. But if you buy one as a rifle you can not use it as a pistol. Even though the action is the same.

20. Dana

Dana New Member

Actually JB Custom will sell you a 10" take down Mare's Leg in 30.30 or 44.40. Big Bucks.....but well made.