Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ruger_Nut, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

I was born in 'Nawlins but grew up on Bayou Manchac. Where else in the world can you jam over 1.5 million people in one spot to party? MARDI GRAS, 'Nawlins style!
    Who's going? We had a parade here today in the little town I live in.

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardi-gras-2013.html

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My wife and I honeymooned in New Orleans. We stayed in the French Quarter, saw/heard great music, ate like royalty, had Banana's Foster at Brennan's, took a paddlewheel ride on the Mississippi, took a cooking class at the N.O. School of Cooking, enjoyed the beignets and snowstorms of powdered sugar at Cafe du Monde, ate a Muffaletta from Central Grocery and on and on. We quite literally had the time of our life.

3. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I'd go, but I'm taking a trip up north. My girlfriend is going though. Bummer :/

4. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

We'll be celebrating Mardi Gras the way our family always has. Traditional Cajun style.

5. hoovco

hoovco New Member

All of us FTF people on the gulf coast should coordinate a crawfish boil/ shooting get together. Just sayin.

6. steve666

steve666 New Member

Used to live in Houma and I always liked Halloween in the French Quarter better... less touristy!

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

There is a current member here who lives in Houma. He's a very interesting person.

8. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

The closer you get to New Orleans, the more commercial it gets. I'm not too fond of all the out of hand immoral behavior that happens there.

9. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Children's Mardi Gras today. My kids had a blast. Now they're worn out taking naps.

ForumRunner_20130210_143913.jpg

ForumRunner_20130210_143942.jpg

ForumRunner_20130210_144001.jpg

10. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

Hey jasrrt, have you ever been to the Purple Peacock? :D

11. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Once when I was younger. I work right down the road from it.

12. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

They shut down the club. I think the owner just rents out the building for special events now.

13. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

Back in the 80's I used to go there often. Let's say that it was "different" there. :D
    BTW, I wonder if people here can pronounce "MAMOU" correctly? :p

14. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Haha. More than likely not.

15. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

I figure there are lots of places and things around here that other people have a hard time reading much less pronouncing.lol

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was there on Fat Tuesday a very very long time ago. Walked down the street with a glass and didn't have to buy a drink. Somebody was always pouring something into it. They held dances on the Delta Queen on Saturday nights. BYOB and they served the mixers.

17. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

The big city parties, dancing and drinking are okay. I'd still rather the good old fashion courir de Mardi gras, gumbo, beer and good friends.