Manurhin p38

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Chainfire, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I almost made a deal on a Manurhin P-38 at a pawn shop today, but when the seller balked at taking a credit card without a ten dollar fee, I walked. The Pistol was in VG condition with strong, clean rifling and excellent finish.

How much should I have been willing to pay for this thing? (I will tell you my offer later)

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Off the cuff, $300 tops without a nazi rollmark.

Good for you to reject the CC fee bullsh!t. It is an industry standard but lowly nonetheless.

3. Chainfire

It is post war, no roll mark. The French took the Walther equipment and manpower and made this version of the P-38 in France. It is really a P-1 with the alloy frame, but still marked P-38.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

it was walther moving his plant and people there to flee the russians. the manhurin wlather products were the best stuff walther ever produced.

if it was a good price shoulda just got it as it sounded in great condition.

5. Chainfire

Good price or no is what my real dilemma was. After taxes and credit card fee, it would have been right at $400.00. I just don't have a handle of what the going rate for the guns are.

At my age, all of my guns are also investments to be recovered after retirement. I don't need any firearms, other than the ones I already own, so I will only buy if it is a real deal.

6. msup752

msup752 New Member

I paid $450 for an actual Walther made P-38 with all the markings and was made in '43. That is the going rate right now.
    P1's are in the $300-$350 range. Unless this specific type was special, $400 is a bit high.
    I do like my P-38.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. Chainfire

I recently acquired a P-1 and I too like the pistol a lot. I just don't have a handle on how many French made P-38s there are and how popular they are in the collector community. I was willing to roll the dice at $350.00, but not more without knowing.