Manual Safety Kit for Glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by danolator, Feb 26, 2013.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

No but thank you for sharing, I know several ppl that will be interested in this :cool:

3. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Not for me, but what a novel idea from the looks of it. Thx for sharing.

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

They have been out for awhile and reportedly do what they are supposed to do. Some people abhor the idea of a safety on a DAO gun, but the sales numbers of the Ruger SR9 and the S&W M&P safety model also seem to indicate that a lot of people love the idea of a safety on their DAO guns. Personally I say to each his own.

Another option is the SiderLock safety trigger, which is ambidextrous.

http://www.siderlock.com/?section=features

5. Kraj

Kraj New Member

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have 20 years of carry bliss using Safe-T-Blok. Comes in Right & Left hand models.

http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Saf-T-Blok-Post-Description-Users/dp/B007ASNJXU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_8

Does not alter the Glock in any way. Easy to use. $20.

What I like about it, is it is 100% odious to the gun owner the gun is 100% safe. Cannot fire when in place. Safety drops out of the way with your trigger finger when ready to fire. Easy to learn, adds no time to the operation of the firearm. Works with most holsters.

I carry a round in the pipe with confidence I just don't have with no external safety.

I like how you started off this thread. Glock owners can be vicious when talking about adding a safety system to their Glock. Taking away the virgin Mary story from a Catholic forum would get a person in less hot water.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. danolator

danolator New Member

Interesting. I keep my new G22 on the nightstand with the Safe-T-Blok in place, but I cannot holster my G19 with that mechanism. Wonder what it does to the feel and pull of the trigger. Would it void the warranty?

I did some Internet snooping on this product. Too many issues, but I have other handguns besides Glock and don't think it would be good practice to go pushing around the trigger in a tense situation unless I am ready to fire. Still a fan of Israeli carry.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I went with a Glock because it DIDN'T have any 'extra' buttons or levers to push to make it go bang. If you wanted a pistol with external safety levers, why not get one like that in the first place? I suppose if one were to inherit a Glock . . .

9. Kraj

Kraj New Member

I dont think it would void your warranty, i think it just replaces the trigger. Easy enough to switch back out if you needed warranty work.

10. AR10

AR10 New Member

I went with the Glock 20 for several reasons, mag capacity being paramount. No other 10mm will hold as much ammo.

Add the fact it does not rust, plastic and treated metals, make it easy to care for.

Add in the dependability factor and the Glock format is a strong choice.

For me personally. A like a nonstandard external safety. I know how to quickly use the weapon, but others holding it, do not fully understand why the gun does not operate. That can only be a good thing.
    I do not see my external safety as training wheels, but as a additional safety that keeps me (not talking about anyone but me) from catching Glock leg.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  11. ohiomike

ohiomike New Member

I have been dealing with this issue with my g23. I now use the safe-t-block and it works fine, and when the screw is out enough it does stay behind the trigger nicely. I have learned the finger does not go on the trigger until its time to shoot. I also leave 'one in the hole' because I do not want to have to take the time to pull one up nor do I want to alert the person I am needing an armed weapon to deal with. Lots of opinions on all this, just saying this is how I go. But I feel one cannot be too safe when it comes to firearms so a safety feature would be a nice option especailly considering the safety block will fall out with some holsters. Anyway, I was at the gunshow yesterday with a couple of certified glock smiths there. They will install the sidearm trigger for just the cost of the parts, but they state fimrly that there are way too many mods that have to be done using the commonolli.com product.

just sayin.....

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Hey, it's Jager the Troll. If you wanted a polymer gun with a safety, then just buy an HK USP. The external safety kind of defeats the purpose of the Glock concept and its internal safety devices. Sorry, just keeping it real.

13. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Sweet now i can buy a glock and feel good about it I have to have a thumb safety just don't feel safe without one I often tell people id but one if they made a thumb safety guess I have to now lol

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  14. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

If you want a thumb safety buy something other than a glock. The 3 built in safeties should be enough for anybody that handles a gun properly.

15. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Isn't this like buying an AK and then trying to convert it to DI?

16. ohiomike

ohiomike New Member

No, its like taking your car or bike and modifing it to suit your particular tastes.

17. danolator

danolator New Member

Agree. Why would a safety mod differ from stippling, sights, trigger, or any other modification? It's all about personal preference.

18. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

It seems that glock fan boys can not comprehend why any one in their right mind would want to change the most reliable and perfect design to come out of hand guns since well ever!:rollseyes

19. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

To me it is adding something that is not needed. Would be about the same as removing the safety off of a 1911.

It is your gun so do as you please with it. But I am also able to disagree with it.

20. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The 1911 was originally designed without a thumb safety. The US Army wanted the feature, so it was added. You can visit the museum in Ogden, Utah to see the original prototype if there is any doubt about this.

The Tokarev was a made-for-combat copy of Mr. Browning's now famous pistol. It lacked a "safety" device of any kind.

If you accidentally disengage the safety while holstering/unholstering the weapon or forget to engage it before re-holstering, what's the difference between a weapon with or without a thumb lever safety?

If you can't remember to take your finger out of the trigger guard or permit things that might actuate the trigger to come into contact with it, then you're really not increasing your "safety" (mythical concept, but apparently very real to some people).

Putting a mechanical device in a pistol that changes its manual of arms and method of operation is inadvisable, but I'm sure that won't stop anyone from doing it.

I stopped worrying about thumb safety levers after several experiences driving with a 1911 during which the lever was disengaged. Luckily, the pistol remained in the holster, the leather holster was pretty stiff, and nothing came into contact with the trigger. My takeaway from those experiences was that having a rigid holster that completely covers the trigger is a really good idea and if your thumb safety works properly that's great, but don't count on it.

I carry a Glock now, use a kydex holster, and before I re-holster the pistol I make sure there's nothing obstructing the holster. If I can't trust myself to take prudent precautions to prevent a ND, like not pulling the trigger unless I intend to fire, why should anyone else trust me to carry a gun?

If having that little "safety" lever there is more important than having a weapon that goes bang when you pull the trigger, then why bother with a Glock?

There's no mechanical device that will ever replace prudent gun handling and you can't spend any amount of money or buy any product that will "make you safe".