Manual locking hubs!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by colmustard, Jan 27, 2013.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok guys, so I am looking at maybe getting a new (used) truck. I have a '86 chevy silverado now thats 4x4 with a 305 and a holley 4bbl carb. Love my truck, and plan on keeping it. But I am looking for a newer 4x4 truck for more of a daily driver.

My question is who still produces manual locking hubs from the factory? The only thing I see with them is f-250 or bigger fords. So I have been looking into the fords. But I am a chevy guy.

The reason I want manual locking hubs is that I belive they are stronger and more reliable. I have seen many electronic hubs fail to switch, due to many issues like vacum or the elctric motor freezing.

So what are my options gear heads?

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I think you'll most likely have to install the manual locking hubs yourself on whatever you buy. Looks like the Toyota pickups might come with manual locking but not sure, F-250 definitely has manual locking hubs as you said.

3. cotex

cotex New Member

I had a cj 7 1983 and when I locked the hubs they where ready for duty. Differently stronger in my impression.

4. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Most of the f250 hubs are "lockable" but the hub says "auto" and "locked"

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you find a truck that you like and it does have the remotely operated hubs, you might look into seeing if they have a conversion kit available to change it manual locking hubs. might even be an older trucks hubs could be retro-fitted to it as well. might want to check out some of the 4x4 forums. i am sure a lot of those guys still like manual locking hubs.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I took the autos off mine and put on manual hubs.

7. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Warn makes a conversion set for a lot of newer trucks

8. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

Many of the newer vehicles don't have locking hubs because of the independent suspensions. Solid axles can support the axle shaft, where IFS systems cannot. Also many of the newer systems have other types of disconnect, like Dodge and Jeep. They actually have a 2 piece axle shaft on one side and a sliding lock system to lock the axle shaft together when you put the transfer case in 4wd.

9. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok cool. I will look into the kits to change them. Thanks!

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The auto hubs of the last few years are good. I have manuals on my 97 F250, but when I replace that truck the new one will have auto hubs. The glitches have been worked out., They're good to go.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I bought a newer 4x4 because they do NOT have manual ;)
    I still remember the manual--Don't want no more manual :eek:

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My 82 Blazer has manual hubs. Every time it snows I with I had autos. I left Grand Junction to go to Denver a few years ago. The roads were dry in Grand Junction. After about an hour the temp dropped dramatically. The road started to freeze right in front of me. There were cars all around me sliding backwards down the hill. I made it through and a couple other big SUVs. But it was teriffying getting out of the truck to lock the hubs with all these cars out of control around me.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It depends on how the mechanism works... I dont know about anything but IH's, but the auto hubs on the '70's Scouts were just as reliable as the manual ones. They engaged when the front driveshaft started to spin, and didnt rely on any vacuum or electrical.
    -
    I know all my buddies with "new" 4x4's always have trouble (Except for the one with a Range Rover..)

14. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Sold my 96 GMC ZR2 a few months ago, auto hubs, 16 years and 266,000 miles on the odo. Hubs never gave me one problem ever. Mostly a daily driver but it did see MANY a nasty trail through the years, and light/medium towing. For me auto hubs is where it's at! I know what you are saying though, my friend tows his bobcats/other loaders to muddy job sites all the time, he has HD manuals, and for good reason. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would defend auto's 100% unless I was doing that stuff or running a dedicated off-road rig.

15. PC167

PC167 New Member

All the trucks I've owned have had auto hubs and never had any problems.

16. rurak

rurak New Member

I have had 3 trucks with autos and never had a problem. My father has a 04 f350 and ford had to enlarge the vacuum ports on the axle when it was new (it was a recall) and no problems since then

17. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The problem with auto's is the owner. You need to turn on the 4x4 more than twice a year. I have a 12 year old truck with auto's and they work perfectly. It sure beats getting out in the snow. I engage the 4x4 at least once a month. Usually every time it rains I run in 4x4 for a few miles. This keeps things lubricated. It's like the old saying "use it or lose it".

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have never owned a 4 wheel drive that I didn't have to repair at some point. One Chevrolet had problems and I never locked into 4 wheel drive. The truck was over 10 years old. But I never had to lock it into 4 wheel drive the entire time I owned it. I would buy the truck that gets the best gas mileage to save for repairs.