manly pastime, whittling

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jcg2439, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

Any one here whittle if so show pics I thought id try it out post pics after I get a little better.

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I whittle walking sticks. I'll post some pics.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Here's some. I cut maple, season for about a year in a warm place. I sand up to 2,000 grit sand paper before I finish with tung oil, makes the wood feel like glass.

Attached Files:

4. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Carving is new to me and the tools I used flat out suck. I plan on getting better tools later on. Super fun past time. I enjoy walking in the woods to find the sticks, then finishing them.

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

The appreciation for doing something with your hands is a dieing concept today. Its truly, very seriously, a sad thing.

My granfather used to do wood working and as a youngster I would always hang out in his shop with him. I was fairly young but the love for great natural wood grain and the smell of saw dust or wood that had just been drilled into never left me.

As a result I now will go to thrift stores, find old and beat up solid wood furniture and fix it up (some of the most amazing wood furniture is sadly painted over 3 and 4 times). A little stripper, some sanding, new hardware, stain, and a finish and we rock and roll!

Hint, a good propane torch lighly applied can REALLY made somd grains just pop right out at you!

6. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

those walking sticks are awesome right now i am working on a fish

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I whittle, but it's only to make sharp sticks. I should move into carving designs.

8. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

yeah start small be safe its a good way to spend time

9. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I had an uncle that carved a wooden chain from a solid piece of wood.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I used to whittle a little when I was a kid. Once I carved chess pieces out of pencils with an xacto blade. It was for a small plastic portable chess set that was missing some pieces. I used the pencil's lead as the pegs. They fit into holes in the chess board.

But mostly I just carved toothpicks and slivers.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have seen items like that for sale at craft shows. It's awesome. I have no talent like that.

But I remember as a kid, my Mom would buy Ivory soap and let my brother and I carve things out of it. It would keep us busy for a quite a while during the summer. And if we didn't make it too top heavy, it would even float.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I had forgotten about this. When I was in high school, the art dept. chairman tossed a block of balsa wood at me and told me to carve something from it. After much thought, I carved a bar of soap (Dove) just so I could say, “I carved a bar of soap”.

13. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Did you pass?

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Sounds fun, whack a bear with one. ;)

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

One might say that.

It wasn’t a class. I was one of the art dept.’s two student aides. The art chairman was a heavy weight in the school administration. As long as I met his cleverness requirement and made myself useful to him & the dept., I could do whatever I wanted with my school day; go to class, don’t go to class, whatever. No one wanted to mess with him, and I ‘worked’ for him, so I had the run of the place. School personnel asked me for favors.

So yeah, I guess I ‘passed’.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. clearsights

clearsights New Member

First off...these weren't done by me and might be more classified as carving then whittling but I thought I would share.
    These were both picked up in Africa nearly 20 years ago.
    The first is used by tribesman as a stool and a headrest.

ForumRunner_20120809_213351.jpg

This next one is made of soapstone and is very soft and fragile.

ForumRunner_20120809_213421.jpg

17. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

those chess pieces are awesome

18. vincent

vincent New Member

This popped into my head...:p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCYfQ9LVsM[/ame]

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I once whittled a stick (about the size of a ball point pen) with a little face. I called it "Woody" I kept it in my uniform pocket next to my pen. When I felt especially evil, I would pull it out and pretend to carry on a conversation with "Woody". Woody would tell me whether or not someone needed to go to jail. Scared the bejeasus out of a few people. "OMG, the giant cop talks to a stick!" Most people are genuinely afraid of CRAZY!

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Dang Robo! That is just wrong.

Of course, i was once arrested by the long arm of the law...singular; the officer only had one arm. I lost it when he said he was gonna have to take off a shoe or two to add up my fine.