Firearms Talk banner

161 - 180 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sure.

If an appropriate mask that's actually capable of filtering, let alone filtering well. If appropriately worn. If recognized for not being the overarching panacea some take it for.

Was simply speaking to the "science" of the reality of typical air that gets around most of today's "masks" used by the average peon. Not to the general efficacy of what "masking-up" can potentially be as a general partial step in a range of steps. (Again, it's the blind obedience to the concept that often falls down, when it refuses to consider the little wrinkles in reality that most people are facing in practice, with the gear they're using.) Two completely different situations, really.
Have you ever had an operation? I have had several, and each time the doctor and everyone else in the room wore a mask. Why is that you might ask, well its so they do not contaminate you with their germs while they have you opened up. You see now how and why mask help stop the spread? It prevents your germs from getting in the air. It also helps to some extent from you breathing in germs.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Have you ever had an operation? I have had several, and each time the doctor and everyone else in the room wore a mask. Why is that you might ask, well its so they do not contaminate you with their germs while they have you opened up. You see now how and why mask help stop the spread? It prevents your germs from getting in the air. It also helps to some extent from you breathing in germs.
Sure. In an apples-to-apples comparo, that'd matter.

But, again, generally speaking: the mask quality, grade and fitment of their typical masks is a wholly different thing than the quality, grade and fitment of the average non-N95 crap that Joe Schmoe wears.

Two different things. No amount of quality and good training and effective field use in a medical setting equates to similarly good practical results in the typical "Joe Schmoe" setting. Not when the messy, often homebrew garbage people are wearing are for aesthetic and not filtering reasons. Not when the average $5-for-5pk WalMart cotton+polyester cloth cheapo-o's are what a typical person might wear down around the upper lip.

I'm speaking strictly of ^THAT disconnect. Not the ideal, medical-type scenario. Whereas almost invariably people conflate the two, in such questioning of where such ideas come from.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
He's been a member for 10 years and posted 10 times! I guess he only has something to say once a year.
Nah! He shows as a new member since last October and apparently can't express his "edicts" without the "F' word.

Most likely a snowflake!
"Would you kiss your mother with that mouth?" :oops:

ellis

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
"One day, just like magic."

It might help if the planned "Warp Drive" for the "Warp Speed" hasn't gone belly up from a total lack of planning and preparation. The scientist have done their part, but the Trump administration failed....again. The distribution plan is an unmitigated disaster. The President has been too busy planning coups and crying in his milk to even acknowledge the pandemic since the election.
Part of the issue is distribution and administration once the states get it. There is more vaccine in every state, than they have administered. Average administration rate of distributed vaccine is around 36%.

You can see how different it is for each state. Health and Human Services directors from each state should be talking to see what the states with the highest administration rates (currently West Virginia) are doing better than the worst performing states (Currently Alabama (Roll Tideo_O).

California with one of the highest infection/hospitalization/death rates, has received the highest portion of vaccine but sits around number 46 is administration of the vaccine received.

Link to a fairly user friendly view of how states are performing in distribution of available vaccine.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...entage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Yes, there are other regional social factors that come into play. How many folks are “hoax believers”, “conspiracy theorist”, “governmental distrustors”, etc. with regard to wanting to go in for the vaccine, as well as how many folks are in each state who are in the initial priority category.

there does need to be a flexibility put in place to allow the next echelon of priority level recipients to get the vaccine if others have declined it in the higher priority groups. Also, the Pfizer vaccine has a short usage life once thawed. If 10 doses are available, more than 10 patients should be available in a standby status during the administration time frame in the event a patient is a “no-show”. This avoids having to waste doses.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
Ehhhh no it doesnt.
Ignorance, not stupidity, causes such statements.
A surgery unit is a sterile enviornment. Even the exterior area involved in the surgery is a sterile field.

Many suegerys no masks are worn. When they are its simply to keep gross contamination down. Like the surgeon coughing directly into the wound.

I understand that anyone not extensively trained in ppe , and the limitations of each type is going to champion mask use for this virus . Nurses have basic ppe training.
Even surgeons have a limited amount of training in that area.

Only those who are trained to work in atmospheres and enviournments that WILL result in death are heavily trained in ppe types, and what they will and will not do.

The masks, bandanas, etc being pushed are WORTHLESS to stop virus transmission.
The idea they will has resulted in a greater spread of the virus by giving a false sense of protection to people.
Along with the other problems that go along with daily extended mask use.

I donf care if mask champs mask up 24/7.
But the official line about masks is a lie knowingly being pushed by those who know better.

·
Proud to be an American
3,527 Posts
Nah! He shows as a new member since last October and apparently can't express his "edicts" without the "F' word.

Most likely a snowflake!
"Would you kiss your mother with that mouth?" :oops:

ellis
I see that now but I looked at it when I posted and was sure it said 2010 my bad.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
It is not about contaminating yourself, it is about keeping your snot in your mask so that you don't contaminate others. The concept is not that complicated that you can't understand it.

I think that your knowledge is very limited and that your willingness to learn is non-existent. You have staked out your ground and no amount of facts or science will move you. You have convinced yourself that it is a political issue and not a medical issue.

It is very selfish to go out in public and refuse to protect your fellow citizens because you find the mask uncomfortable, physically or politically. You do not have a "right" to contaminate other people.
You may think my knowledge of many subjects is limited and you would be correct.

But this subject aint one of em. If even a tiny bit of just untrained common sense is brougt to bear by mask champions they would realize that a mask stops exactly the same size particluates in BOTH darn directions.
Period full stop.
And the masks being used , do not stop the size of particlates carrying the virus . Not even close.
What they do do is collect moisture fairly quickly becoming a virus reservoir that now rests on the inside and outside of the mask and should the wearer cough or sneeze he now has a pool of contamination to produce aerosols from the outside of the mask in much greater concentrations than a simple sneeze without one.

Simpe facts

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
Part of the issue is distribution and administration once the states get it. There is more vaccine in every state, than they have administered. Average administration rate of distributed vaccine is around 36%.

You can see how different it is for each state. Health and Human Services directors from each state should be talking to see what the states with the highest administration rates (currently West Virginia) are doing better than the worst performing states (Currently Alabama (Roll Tideo_O).

California with one of the highest infection/hospitalization/death rates, has received the highest portion of vaccine but sits around number 46 is administration of the vaccine received.

Link to a fairly user friendly view of how states are performing in distribution of available vaccine.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...entage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Yes, there are other regional social factors that come into play. How many folks are “hoax believers”, “conspiracy theorist”, “governmental distrustors”, etc. with regard to wanting to go in for the vaccine, as well as how many folks are in each state who are in the initial priority category.

there does need to be a flexibility put in place to allow the next echelon of priority level recipients to get the vaccine if others have declined it in the higher priority groups. Also, the Pfizer vaccine has a short usage life once thawed. If 10 doses are available, more than 10 patients should be available in a standby status during the administration time frame in the event a patient is a “no-show”. This avoids having to waste doses.
I live in a poor, rural county. About 50,000 people live here. The county is allotted 200 doses a week. The math is not good. The County can't tell us when we may have the shot available, we are on a waiting list, but who knows how many are ahead of us. I don't worry about myself so much as I do my insulin dependent diabetic wife. I guess we will have to continue to hunker down and avoid idiots that refuse to wear masks.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
A mask is just one of a number of measures none of which are perfect, put them all together and it helps cut infection rates.
It seems as if some argue that since the mask is not perfect, it is useless. That is a defeatist attitude. You work with the tools you have. The science has shown that masks help, that is good enough for me. I am fortunate to have started the pandemic with a supply of N-95s. I used them to mow in dry weather. They may be the reason I am typing rather than feeding worms.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I live in a poor, rural county. About 50,000 people live here. The county is allotted 200 doses a week. The math is not good. The County can't tell us when we may have the shot available, we are on a waiting list, but who knows how many are ahead of us. I don't worry about myself so much as I do my insulin dependent diabetic wife. I guess we will have to continue to hunker down and avoid idiots that refuse to wear masks.
in some ways it makes sense. The county I live in, in Washington has one of the lower infection and hospitalization rates, but a population that gives it a higher share of doses. I’m still a health care worker who has to enter hospitals and assisted living facilities. I got bumped up on the list and received my first vaccine over a week ago.

I’m a pragmatist by most accounts and a bit of a stoic on the philosophical side of things.

When it comes to masks. I view them as a device people can employ to effect their “risk radius”. If a mask being employed creates a reduction in particulates that can transit the material and reduce the velocity of the particulates the risk radius is improved. Much like radiation, time of exposure, distance from an exposure source, and shielding effectiveness to reduce exposure concentration are all means of reducing exposure risk. It may not mean elimination of all risk to exposure, but it mitigates the risk overall.

I minimize my time around groups, (time). I maintain distance from people not from my household (distance). I wear a mask (shielding).

100% effective? Nope. But better than full exposure, and better than total isolation.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
It seems as if some argue that since the mask is not perfect, it is useless. That is a defeatist attitude. You work with the tools you have. The science has shown that masks help, that is good enough for me. I am fortunate to have started the pandemic with a supply of N-95s. I used them to mow in dry weather. They may be the reason I am typing rather than feeding worms.
Except the " science" doesnt prove any such thing and has never proven any such thing unless its some agenda driven junk demenstration.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
But the forum mask expert says they are no use, and he knows better that all the other experts out there.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
We humans are just another 'bug' on this planet but we think we can CONTROL everything on the planet, which is laughable!!! This virus will, like all of them have, run it course NO MATTER WHAT WE DO!!! :rolleyes: The guberment is using it to keep us in fear, divide us, and distract us PERIOD!:mad:

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
But the forum mask expert says they are no use, and he knows better that all the other experts out there.
No They know the facts.. They know they are lieing to push agenda also

I dont know more than them. I just aint lying about the facts.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
We humans are just another 'bug' on this planet but we think we can CONTROL everything on the planet, which is laughable!!! This virus will, like all of them have, run it course NO MATTER WHAT WE DO!!! :rolleyes: The guberment is using it to keep us in fear, divide us, and distract us PERIOD!:mad:
So there was no point developing the the smallpox vaccine for example then ? maybe smallpox was just a cunning plan to keep us in fear, divide us, and distract us PERIOD. Some people need to get a grip on reality.

Smallpox is an extremely contagious and deadly virus for which there is no known cure. The last known case occurred in the United States in 1949 and due to worldwide vaccination programs, this disease has been completely eradicated. Smallpox is also known as variola.
Polio was once one of the most feared diseases in the U.S. In the early 1950s, before polio vaccines were available, polio outbreaks caused more than 15,000 cases of paralysis each year. Following introduction of vaccines—specifically, trivalent inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) in 1955 and trivalent oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV) in 1963—the number of polio cases fell rapidly to less than 100 in the 1960s and fewer than 10 in the 1970s.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
No They know the facts.. They know they are lieing to push agenda also

I dont know more than them. I just aint lying about the facts.
Nobody is lying. You just can't accept the truth. The only agenda I have is trying to stay alive until I get a vaccine or they have at good treatment. I haven't come this far to be killed by someone who won't wear a damn mask.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
Ehhhh no it doesnt.
Ignorance, not stupidity, causes such statements.
A surgery unit is a sterile enviornment. Even the exterior area involved in the surgery is a sterile field.

Many suegerys no masks are worn. When they are its simply to keep gross contamination down. Like the surgeon coughing directly into the wound.

I understand that anyone not extensively trained in ppe , and the limitations of each type is going to champion mask use for this virus . Nurses have basic ppe training.
Even surgeons have a limited amount of training in that area.

Only those who are trained to work in atmospheres and enviournments that WILL result in death are heavily trained in ppe types, and what they will and will not do.

The masks, bandanas, etc being pushed are WORTHLESS to stop virus transmission.
The idea they will has resulted in a greater spread of the virus by giving a false sense of protection to people.
Along with the other problems that go along with daily extended mask use.

I donf care if mask champs mask up 24/7.
But the official line about masks is a lie knowingly being pushed by those who know better.
No, the effectiveness of mask is being denied by those who don't but should know better. Who are you going to believe. Dr. Ghost or some of these guys:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...ntists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

By the way, Doctor, you really do need a proof reader and spell check. It is hard to baffle people with your brilliance with that post.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
So the experts, most who have no agenda are lying then.
The props for the N95 mask is a good example. "The powers that be" in the U.S. declared them vital to ensure effective filtering, during the early days of this thing. Then soon after, once it was all but certain there wouldn't be sufficient numbers of such masks for front-line healthcare, let alone the peons, the tune changed. All of a sudden any old thing would work sufficiently well, so skip the N95-grade gear. Which then promptly all got sucked up (such as qtys allowed) and re-routed to healthcare.

The agenda? Move the goal posts for a laudable reason, ensuring provision of tolerable supplies to healthcare; but at the expense of the little guy. The "goal posts" were like with the levels of radiation absorbed before unhealthful or dangerous levels were reached, back in the 1950s when poor sods in the U.S. military were being used as lab rats to eval the effects of atom bomb explosions. This time around, first it's acknowledged the N95 is what's known to be effective, then it's rapidly altered to seem as though any old mask will do for the rabble.

Something's "fishy" there. Agenda or not.

Does that mean all info is false, from "authorities" in agencies and governments? No. But it's a clear sign of spin, an agenda, and a less than prime concern for the average person when push comes to shove.

161 - 180 of 263 Posts