Mandatory Mask Orders: Can You Still Carry in Your State

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by PaBushMan, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

really, the lawshield propaganda blurb where the commentary states: "generally" and therefore is taken a case law...

2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ghost it continues to amaze me that your are absolutely certain you know more than the folks with PhDs that’s study this stuff professionally. I mean, you have at best a sophomoric knowledge of the topics, but pontificate as if you are an expert.

You accuse the wabbit it of being a troll, but I kind of thinks you are.

locutus, alsaqr and manta like this.

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

First get your facts straight.

I've never called wabbit a troll.

Two. You have no idea what level of haz mat, bio hazard, protective equipment ,decon , or command and control training I have had.

Suffice to say before i let my certs lapse they were nation wide .
    A bit more than the sophmoric.

I'm not saying I know as much about virus in general as a dr who specializes it.
    But once that dr has ided the virus I will say I know as much or more about the equipment needed to offer protection from it.
    I'm saying we are being lied too about cloth masks protecting anybody from this virus at all.
    For several reasons . One so folks think they are accomplishing something by wearing them and not panicking.

Governors of democrat controlled states are simply on a power trip and getting thr sheep more used to being told what to do.

A properly fitted n95 mask with no vent is the minimum. Bare minimum.

As far as the cloth masks catching droplets they will catch large ones. But droplets smaller than the pores in the cloth go right thru and the much smaller virus goes right along with them.

A few coughs or sneezes and now you have a cloth saturated with virus laden moisture blasting out with every cough, sneeze or heavy breath.
    Same thing in reverse . Virus present in the air it WILL pass right thru.

The " experts: know this. Its bio hazard 101 stuff. But to get citizens effective protection against a virus equipment wise is impossible. Most wouldnt know how to use it anyway.

This surgeon mask fallacy is a red herring. Surgeons are operating in a pressterlized field using face shields masks etc . The patient is as isolated from the surgeon as possible .
    And you wont have coughing sneezing anyone in an operating room.

Really should have a clue what the person your accusing of not knowing anything actually does have extensive training in and know.

Gatoragn and Nmwabbit like this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Aerosol.

Even NIOSH N95-grade masks only filter it at 95% effectiveness. What about the 5%?

(A bit like spray disinfectant "kills 99.9%" of germs ... Nobody ever speaks of the 0.1% left that then get to spread.)

And people's homemade crap is nowhere near as effective as that.

Nmwabbit and Ghost1958 like this.
  5. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

Horrible attempt jigs-n-fixture at Stirring up malcontent amongst the members all the while hurling grade school names towards another member not even involved with the commentary whatsoever.

wait a moment, jigs...i now recognize you who is the elusive national viral expert on this pandemic....ghost, this bloke is infamous in some half-moon facilities...(sarcasm off)

6. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Universal masking is the best chance we have to curb the spread, while better measures are worked out. It is still a novel virus, poorly understood, in spite of the “possible breakthroughs“ reported daily n the press. I am on board. Started to wear a mask indoors, especially where the signs ask
    to do so.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

What an honor it is to be among such intellectual giants.

Geniuses that know more about the law than the Justices of the SCOTUS, and the professors at the top law schools.

Folks that kow more about virology than the top medical labs and researchers in the world.

I am honored to be among youse gize:p.

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I called this thing wrong from the start. I figured it was a bad sort of flu and would die out once flu season was over.

So I'm wearin my ninja neck gaiter and nitrile gloves when I go in public.

And carrying my gun in case any of them co-vidders get too close...:cool:

Oldoutlaw and alsaqr like this.
  9. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Sure, it's probably the best opportunity that exists, right now.

But it's full of holes, for all of that. Particularly when people are harangued to wear their awful, homemade units. All well and good, for the feel-good aspect; not so much for halting transmission of virus laden aerosols.

Wish there were something better, but there isn't. Short of full-headgear type respirators, there's little chance of halting it all (inbound and outbound).

Did a little visual sampling the other day, while people-watching. Counted the number of people wearing something, along with the percentage of folks wearing them horribly poorly (to the point every breath was going to allow great amounts of air around the thing). A good half had a failed experiment partially hanging on their faces. Of course, that's in my neck of the woods; I've no idea if other locales are like that across the world. Though I'd assume so, given how generally ill-fitting the DIY stuff is.

The ugly thing about this particular virus is that so many have no apparent symptoms for long periods of time, during which they're infectious. Sneaky little bugger, that virus. THAT aspect's the Achilles heel of it all.

Nmwabbit and Ghost1958 like this.
  10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i've worn respiratory protection in the form of dust masks to OBA for tens of thousands of hours and had a few hundred hours training on the subject. Have also worn ensembles ranging from Tyvek to butyl rubber for thousands of hours. i don't need the advice of internet sexual intellectuals on the subject.

i've dealt with the cleaning up of buildings and bunkers contaminated with Sin Nombre virus, which has a 37-50 percent death rate.

You can believe political hacks or you can believe epidemiologists. Think about this: The political hacks who run Arizona, Florida and Texas blew off the recommendations of epidemiologists: Their ICUs are full.

The wearing of masks is good as it gets right now. Wear a mask in public places or don't, i could care less. Meanwhile i'll wear a mask in public.

Yep, i pack while wearing a mask.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Oldoutlaw and locutus like this.
  11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Your welcome.

Mercator and Ghost1958 like this.
  12. Ghost1958

Thanks.

Pasquanel and Mercator like this.
  13. Ghost1958

If so then you are right. You already know as well as anyone what useless, feel good gestures the cloth face covering and six foot distance are.

It really doesnt take folks trained for hundreds of hours in everything from paper masks to self contained moon suits to know that.

14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't know any of that trash. IMO: It's common sense to wear a mask and keep your distance.

Blow this one off at your peril.

My friend back east blew off COVID-19 and poked fun at folks for wearing masks. He is graveyard dead of COVID-19. Before dying he infected his sons family. His daughter-in-law is dead, his grand kid is recovering and his son is still sick.

Oldoutlaw, locutus and 7point62 like this.
  15. Gatoragn

I wear a mask where mandated by local ordinance. No ordinance, no mask.

Gloves are not required, so I comply with the ordinance on that too, I don't wear them.

Nmwabbit likes this.
  16. Gatoragn

We will see what you think of the SCOTUS when the Cheyenne, Sioux, etc. use the Oklahoma decision to reclaim a big chunk of that free land.

Nmwabbit, ellis36 and Ghost1958 like this.
  17. Ghost1958

Been massless since my wife passed in April.

Go where I want when I want . No mask. I'm 61, COPD, tricky heart, . Ill be fine. I'm more likely to catch it wearing a glorified t shirt on my face than if I dont.

This should have been treated like any flu bug. Which kills more people btw.
    But it got politicized by liberals and turned into a social control mechanism.

Want to wear a mask go for it. But you if your as trained as you say and I know your a walking virus transmitter with that tshirt on your face.

18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree Ghost even though u and I are usually in agreement otherwise :).

Even these rudimentary masks are quite effective even the ones "below" N95.
    Why?
    Because infectious ;particles such as virus dont travel all by their lonesome thru the air.
    They are always in clumps and by definition an aerosol is a liquid agglomeration and this is how virions spread...
    So the fact that a virion is smaller than the "pore" in your cloth or fiber mask means very little.

Now I am not saying I support 100% the mandatory mask wearing in all situations and for all people.. but these masks are a useful 85% solution for what we are trying to accomplish.

They protect not just the public from the wearer.. thats a Philosophy of use perception from the Medical Community born out of the hospital environment.. where hospital acquired infections are always a very significant concern.... but to a non trivial extent they also protect the wearer form aerosol inhalation..

Does it protect as well as a M17,M40 or M50 series Pro mask?
    No. But it doesnt have to.

As for me.. I believe I am immune due to my earlier infection (there is some debate on that which in my mind is solved but I will not go into that here), while I am arguably middle aged now, I am unusually healthy and my physician frequently exclaims my blood work looks like a teenagers... despite being somewhat overweight my resting heart rate is 60 beats/min and my lung function is strong (I get a lot of baseline tests as part of my current job).... so I do not consider myself as a member of the risk group anyway..
    ...as a result I only were mask where and when it is mandated.

Source: I have taught practical PPE applications plus filtration theory to hi-end civilian 1st responders, high end military CBRN teams and was on a PPE working group in an acquisitions enterprise for some years.
    I am frequently tasked to give advise to decision makers on such issues. Very early in this outbreak before it was in everyone's mind I explained the usefulness of simple cloth and/or fiber masks to some decision makers who had been told otherwise by their surgeons who were still stuck in the hospital paradigm.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Oldoutlaw, locutus, ellis36 and 2 others like this.
  19. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Cough on a Petri dish, then cough on another Petri dish this time through a facial rag. Incubate both, open next day, and see the difference. A lot fewer colonies in dish 2. It has been done.

Oldoutlaw and locutus like this.
  20. Ghost1958

Must disagree. The cloth masks like any cloth WILL let moisture particles thru with the much smaller virus riding along.

In both directions. If the virus is present it will simply ride along with the moisture passing thru. That's simply a fact.
    The longer its worn the more moisture laden it becomes and becomes an excellent virus transmitter.

Cloth will help in a sand storm. But not this.