Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
Yep. Plus I wont be wearing a mask regardless of what little Andy decrees.
He has no authority to demand such.

On top of that I have had fairly extensive training in haz mat and bio hazards.
The cloth face coverings and surgical masks worn as being demanded are worthless and more likely to give the wearer the virus than prevent anything simply because 90 percent of folks have no idea how to remove one without contaminating themselves.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't wear mine unless im at the docs. They require it. If im sick i wont go out. They have some carnival food vendors set up down town. No one in the lines are wearing mask or distancing. I do at least keep my distance when out.

·
Administrator
34,385 Posts
The cloth masks we are wearing are to protect others, not ourselves if we should have COVID and not know it yet. You can take it off any way you want. Anyway, if others don’t know how to take a mask off without contaminating themselves, that’s THEIR problem.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
The cloth masks we are wearing are to protect others, not ourselves if we should have COVID and not know it yet. You can take it off any way you want. Anyway, if others don’t know how to take a mask off without contaminating themselves, that’s THEIR problem.
They dont protect others or you.
The pores in the Cloth face coverings are much bigger than the virus. They are in fact useless germ carriers.

Non vented masks work equally both directions . Filtering incoming and outgoing air.

A ventless n 95 mask will offer limited protection to both you and other people . One fitted with a exhalation valve will only offer the wearer limited protection.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
The mask is there to stop contaminated aerosol particles from hanging in the air for several minutes after a person coughs or sneezes.

Since the viruses are usually contained in the aerosols, the mask is somewhat effective.

certainly not as effective as a positive pressure breathing apparatus, but better than nothing.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
An N95, fitted and worn correctly, is pretty darned good at keeping germs of any sort at bay.
Yep. An N95 does provide decent protection. Without the exhalation valve or even with one they are pretty darn uncomfortable. Especially for someone who's lungs are already compromised by COPD etc..

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Can't imagine that health-related, health-mandated masking could disallow a person his/her RKBA and turn a person into a criminal, no matter how loudly some bureaucrat squawks. Can't imagine anyone in LE daring to attempt to enforce anything like that.

Of course, it is a potential "in" for a would-be robber to avoid identification. One of the blowback effects of such edicts.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
The mask is there to stop contaminated aerosol particles from hanging in the air for several minutes after a person coughs or sneezes.

Since the viruses are usually contained in the aerosols, the mask is somewhat effective.

certainly not as effective as a positive pressure breathing apparatus, but better than nothing.
Yep. That's the official propaganda.
Any state Health official that will be honest , and a few actually publically have, will tell you the cloth face coverings are nothing but a reminder to stay away from other people. They do nothing .

About as effective as a six foot distance is .

All that is simply control and making people think they are doing something.
Bottom line is if your not wearing at min a n95 mask, and your susceptible to the virus if you are in its presence you will likely catch it.
And they do make an n95 rated fabric mask .
It also can use activated carbon filters. I bought one for my wife when she was diagnosed with lung cancer simply because of flu, colds , etc. Covid hadn't hit yet.

She eventually had to stop wearing it nearer the end as her lungs simply were too weak to inhale through the mask. At that point however she was wearing a positive pressure o2 mask all the time so no germs could enter anyway
If the flu were being tracked as covid is its numbers would be much much higher.

This is new and as they say never let a crisis real or created go to waste.

As to carrying even in some states which have a law against masks and carrying, if a state emergency is declared a legal carrier cannot be disarmed .

Only 3 I think have an absolute ban on carrying and wearing a mask.

·
Premium Member
7,527 Posts
I see masks are a big thing in America, but you do not see many wearing them in the UK. The only place they are mandatory is on public transport and medical facilities.

GOV.UK. Evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you. However, if you are infected but have not yet developed symptoms, it may provide some protection for others you come into close contact with. It is important to use face coverings properly and wash your hands before putting them on and taking them off.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
All that is simply control and making people think they are doing something.

Bottom line is if your not wearing at min a n95 mask, and your susceptible to the virus if you are in its presence you will likely catch it.
A close relative asked me about the idea of masks and whether a roughly-woven, homemade cloth covering could do much, I asked this person to review the size of viruses and other "bugs" (in microns) as compared to the size of particles guaranteed by such materials to get filtered out (at least, at a given level of 'efficiency').

All of which presupposes any face covering is tightly-sealing, of course; which most of them aren't.

The SARS-CoV-1 virus is about ~0.125 microns, whereas the NIOSH N95 graded filtering is measured for 0.3 micron particulates at 95% effectiveness. Even the N100 grading is for 0.3 microns, but at 99.97% 'efficiency'. Which means that the SARS-CoV-1 virus is likely to get through if it's in much concentration in the nearby air. In either direction. Even on a N100 mask. Particularly if not tightly-sealed to the face around the mask.

There are some mask companies claiming meeting of the NIOSH N95 standard that say they filter out far smaller particulates (down to 0.075 microns, such as Allegiant Med Supply).

But, with the NIOSH N95 standard for such common facemasks being at 0.3 microns, and the size of this virus being about one-third smaller ...

How dull life would be without these little bumps and turns in the road.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
A close relative asked me about the idea of masks and whether a roughly-woven, homemade cloth covering could do much, I asked this person to review the size of viruses and other "bugs" (in microns) as compared to the size of particles guaranteed by such materials to get filtered out (at least, at a given level of 'efficiency').

All of which presupposes any face covering is tightly-sealing, of course; which most of them aren't.

The SARS-CoV-1 virus is about ~0.125 microns, whereas the NIOSH N95 graded filtering is measured for 0.3 micron particulates at 95% effectiveness. Even the N100 grading is for 0.3 microns, but at 99.97% 'efficiency'. Which means that the SARS-CoV-1 virus is likely to get through if it's in much concentration in the nearby air. In either direction. Even on a N100 mask. Particularly if not tightly-sealed to the face around the mask.

There are some mask companies claiming meeting of the NIOSH N95 standard that say they filter out far smaller particulates (down to 0.075 microns, such as Allegiant Med Supply).

But, with the NIOSH N95 standard for such common facemasks being at 0.3 microns, and the size of this virus being about one-third smaller ...

How dull life would be without these little bumps and turns in the road.
The exhaled virus material is necessarily carried by liquid droplets which do get trapped in the mask.

·
Premium Member
14,294 Posts
In AZ it is illegal to carry while wearing a mask unless the mask is mandated. The mask is currently required to enter any business or place where there are people congregating.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
Well Andy tried to mandate masks in public here and got struck down the same day.

Wont wear one now regardless what he mandates. I'm in no mood to be told what do by a moron who won by 9 whole votes. Gov Andy, go pound sand.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
I really get a good laugh at all of the "deep state" conspiracy paranoia on this subject.

Seems the beer hall lawyers are now beer hall doctors as well.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alex must be proud.:p
I'm assuming you are in agreement with Governors issuing executive orders that effect private citizens and businesses, even though their state laws prevent them doing so? As evidenced by Beshear being struck down the same day.

Not to mention anyone trained in bio hazards can tell you the mask social distancing stuff is useless, except as a control mechanism.

·
Premium Member
14,294 Posts
I was at an lgs today when a guy walked in wearing a mask. He said I have COPD and I cant breath wearing the mask. If I have to wear it I will leave. They said no problem and he bought a Hellcat to replace his Colt Commander 45 acp he had carried for 17 years. It was getting too heavy.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts