Man shoots himself with an unloaded gun

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gojubrian, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Cop shoots himself in leg unloading gun :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune

Ya'll be careful out there with your smith and wesson springfields......................and your pump action revolvers, etc...

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

the Smith & Wesson Springfield .40-caliber handgun....

Does it come in 45?

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I looked at one of those, but it was a Smith and Wesson Colt!:D

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Beside the obvious misprint all I have to say is ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

A femur fractured in 8 places is a pretty serious injury. :eek: Of course in the chest, head or abdomen would have been much worse.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Forget about the caliber misprint...who the hell told this guy that pulling the trigger would seat the magazine? :eek: He should be removed from the force immediately...

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

it just amazes me how some people can be determined safe to carry a gun as part of their job.

ok so he ejects the round puts the bullet back in the mag then reloads the weapon... i fail to see how that is unloading a handgun unless he usually keeps the bullets in his femur.

9. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I think we are missing one little detail in the story about him dropping the slide after reinserting the magazine? :confused:

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

-Drop mag
    -Rack slide to eject cartridge
    -Lock slide back
    -Load magazine
    -Release slide
    -Pull trigger

Isn't that the unloading process y'all practice? Oh, no, that's to reload and fire. Oops, my bad.

Was the guy in a fog or really had no idea what was going on that day? Pulling the trigger does NOT load a cartridge. What do you think happened to his Springfield Armory .40 Smith & Wesson?

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I'm guessing he did that before the kid got in the car. At least thats a blessing

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Can't blame his "police training" on this one, nor can you blame the weapon itself. This was a very stupid user interface problem with his own friggin gun. :mad::eek:

It is interesting that his .40 cal round shattered his femur in 8 spots though. That will ruin your whole damn day. :eek:

JD

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Sounds to me like he tried to seat the fully loaded mag with the slide forward. Mag won't latch (duh) so he locks the slide back - then seats the mag and drops the slide again.....

Assuming this IS a Smith. :eek:

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Believe it to be an XD in .40 S&W, the reporter just got the gun and caliber all screwed up...doesn't matter though, I cannot fully seat the mag with 12 rnds in my XD.

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

45, 46... whatever it takes.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That's what happened, I bet. I think we have the winner.

The first time (and only time so far) that I reversed the order--Rack slide, drop mag, pull trigger--there was something in me right before I pulled the trigger that screamed for me to stop and I realized my folly. It scared me straight.

These days, the little maneuver that I still MUST get better at doing on my 1911 is: rack slide and IMMEDIATELY flip on the safety. Occasionally, I take a few moments before setting the safety. Nothing has happened yet, but I MUST get better at making that an automatic one-motion kind of thing.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This story is exactly why, as a gun newbie, I'll stick with revolvers for a while. :D

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just because he is a Police Officer, does not mean he has a thimble full of common sense. Stupid people and guns don't mix. Even if they have a badge.

19. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I've not had the pleasure of handling an XD, so that's good to know. I though it might have only been a S&W thing. Thanks for the info. :)

20. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Well, there's your problem.

And 40 hours training is barely minimal. Don't seem to emphasise Rule no#1 too heavily either.