Man Robbed of Exposed Gun

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dakota1, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

http://newsletter.alloutdoor.com/link.php?M=209538&N=247&L=15790&F=H

There are many excellent reasons to carry a gun, and almost no reasons at all for a citizen to carry one openly. After all, that’s what led to this open-carry guy getting his nice new pistol stolen from him. When your gun is exposed, people know that you have a gun. Why is that bad? Because it freaks out the watery-eyed wimps, yes, but more importantly because it makes you a target. So, do your best to actually conceal that concealed handgun so you don’t end up like this guy. “This guy” is a 25-year-old who strode into Wal-Mart with a Springfield XD 40 crammed into his waistband at the small of his back. Later, he shuffled out without it. His shirt only partially covered his firearm, so it was easily visible to a pair of miscreants. While one bad guy waited outside, another followed the victim into the Wal-Mart bathroom, where he clobbered the gun’s owner, knocked him down, and took away his pistol. Then he pointed the gun at its former owner and instructed him to leave. Afterward, bad guys one and two reunited and left in a dark van, according to video surveillance recordings. One of the two was arrested the next day, “loitering around the Jackson County Jail.” Nice. No sign of the other guy, nor of our victim’s gun. Keep your guns concealed, folks, and pay better attention to your surroundings than this guy did. - See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/2...ause-it-wasnt-concealed/#sthash.OtecP5nq.dpuf

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

This is a good example of the mentality of some people.

There are numerous questions that could be asked, but it is a moot point now.

Training and situation awareness seem to be lacking here.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Lock this thread now.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I agree!
    Not another concealed carry vs open carry thread.

5. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Not coming from America, i don't understand why someone would choose open carry over concealed carry where allowed. I know here it would not be allowed, and if it was no one would do it. I wonder what the different mindset is.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Let this be a lesson to all you policemen. Cover that gun up.

This needs to put into the proper perspective. How often does this happen? What are the numbers of open carriers? What's the percentages? How often does this happen to concealed carriers. What's the percentages? Basing an opinion on an isolated incident without knowing all the facts is what liberals do. Telling others they should do what you do is how liberals think. You are blaming how someone carried and not blaming the thief for anything. Does this sound familiar? The liberal brainwashing has really worked it's magic.

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I'll tell you why. For instance, in my state it is perfectly legal to open carry and I don't have to spend 100 dollars for a class and 75 dollars for a permit. I find it repulsive that they say I have to pay them if I want to put shirt tail over my gun. I thought my right to keep and bear arms wasn't supposed to be infringed. How can they justify putting a tax on a constitutional right?

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Noooo...Lets see how long it lasts.....:D I OC sometimes..but CC most of the time...i usually end up learning something from these little FTF family fueds.....:D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

So you are doing it for monetary and political reasons, what other reasons do people open carry for.

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:popcorn:

11. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Because they want to. You know, land of the free and all that.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Mostly impersonating the past. Wanting to undo the tedious reality, and land in a cowboy movie. Added - it is not typical at all. Don't be misled, the forum is far from a random sample of America today.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

In my case..convenience.

14. danf_fl

I have had the experience that (IMO) too many people believe that carrying a firearm (openly or concealed) makes them "Supermen".

Is having a firearm for self protection a right? Yes.

But, by it being a right, does not mean that we should not know how to use and carry it.

15. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Concealed carry eliminates the main purpose of open carry: Satisfying an immature craving for attention...."Hey, everybody...look at me...I've got a gun." What better way to get attention that walking around in public where people are not accustomed to seeing firearms on civilians & forcing everyone to notice you?

Open carry also satisfies another need for some: Passive Aggression. "I know some of you don't like guns, so I'm going to rub your face in it. One open carrier actually posted here & said, "I knew a few people gave me dirty looks when I open carried in a restaurant & it made me very happy to piss them off.

16. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

In the real world (where most of us live) there is no situational awareness that will enable us to see everything behind us every second.

"Training and situation awareness" are terms that are thrown around whenever anyone is a crime victim. People who always use such terms are very skilled at MMQB'ing & usually want to appear invincible & wiser than everyone else. Police officers get more training in situational awareness than the average citizen & they are also victims of crimes....they are human too.

17. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Well, I'd blame a thief for stealing the car, but I'd also blame the car's owner for leaving the keys in it.

18. danf_fl

Situation awareness is used by most on an everyday basis without us knowing we are doing it.

It is based on our experiences and training.

We cannot see what is happening behind, true. But we can be aware of our surroundings.

Don't go into the swamp full of gators without looking around once in a while.

19. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

It's far more comfortable to me and I'm a pleasing plump guy in his later fifties and it is MUCH easier for me to draw from OWB....I keep a shirt over my gun.

20. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

Wow...Judgmental as I would expect....